What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

IMO, we should play small when Gobert sits. Just go all skill and shooting. We haven't been able to address the defense when Gobert is off the floor for ages. Just try something different - try a completely different scheme whenever Gobert is off the floor... it might actually help you in the playoffs when teams actually force you to guard 5 out. Maybe our perimeter defenders would actually take some responsibility and ownership of their performance if they are not relying on the centers to cover all their mistakes and lackadasical effort all the time.

Why are we focusing on bigs again? We need a long defensive wing more than any big. In previous years everybody was drooling over Otto Porter. Why not try him now when his value is actually at its lowest? I wanted Batum last year, now he might actually be expensive... but he is another one we should be looking at with our MLE. Who else?
If you had to choose a player in the NBA who's body has betrayed him to such an extent that he'll never be able to be a productive player again, Porter is on the shortlist (unlike Batum last year). He'd come as a major gamble. Not sure the Jazz feel like they can roll those dice.

The Jazz have several guys who can play at the 3 and almost no one who can play at the 4. If the Jazz can bring in a tough, two-way 4/5, that lets Royce play at the 3. If there's a compelling two-way player on the wing, then fine, but I don't think OPJ is it.

From what I saw last year, OPJ's injuries have rendered him a shell of his former self. Bulls were a playoff-competitive team, and OPJ was just coasting.
That's the thing... he's not old. It's very similar to the Batum thing from last year. Everybody was pointing to his performance when he was injured. Well, yes... injured players can be expected to not play well. Just get him in for a visit and a physical and lets see if he is in a better place now.

IMO, we should play small when Gobert sits. Just go all skill and shooting. We haven't been able to address the defense when Gobert is off the floor for ages. Just try something different - try a completely different scheme whenever Gobert is off the floor... it might actually help you in the playoffs when teams actually force you to guard 5 out. Maybe our perimeter defenders would actually take some responsibility and ownership of their performance if they are not relying on the centers to cover all their mistakes and lackadasical effort.

I'm not as obsessed with 5 out as most, but I very much agree with changing the defensive habits. We can't have 4 guys play like statues and depend on the C to guard everything. If Quin doesn't change our defensive principles it doesn't matter who we have on the court.

If you had to choose a player in the NBA who's body has betrayed him to such an extent that he'll never be able to be a productive player again, Porter is on the shortlist (unlike Batum last year). He'd come as a major gamble. Not sure the Jazz feel like they can roll those dice.
Actually, we were having the EXACT same discussions with Batum last year. Everybody thought he was done because of the injuries. I was advocating for signing him precisely because I thought his numbers while playing through injuries were not a true representation of what he can do if he actually can get and stay healthy. Now of course you have to make sure Porter is healthy and have some confidence that you can keep him healthy, but yeah...

Actually, we were having the EXACT same discussions with Batum last year. Everybody thought he was done because of the injuries. I was advocating for signing him precisely because I thought his numbers while playing through injuries were not a true representation of what he can do if he actually can get and stay healthy. Now of course you have to make sure Porter is healthy and have some confidence that you can keep him healthy, but yeah...
I very well could be remembering wrong, but I thought it was perceived disinterest toward the NBA/Hornets as much as injuries that had everyone low on Batum last year.

He did indeed have major injury issues the season before he move to the Clippers but otherwise had been relatively healthy throughout his career (7 seasons in a row before 2019-20 with more 60 games played).

We've seen Porter's injury woes building and compounding over time. He's now played in less than 30 games in each of the last two seasons. He played in fewer than 50 the year before that; less than 60 the year before that.

I'm asking seriously, what is so special about Porter?

We have an injury prone PG, three players who pretty much offense and nothing else. I just don't think Porter is worth the risk. His injury history is dreadful.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

We have an injury prone PG, three players who pretty much offense and nothing else. I just don't think Porter is worth the risk. His injury history is dreadful.

Are you serious? He is a giant on perimeter that has a history of being a premier 3&D wing.

He could be cooked for sure. But let’s not act like there’s nothing intriguing there.

I very well could be remembering wrong, but I thought it was perceived disinterest toward the NBA/Hornets as much as injuries that had everyone low on Batum last year.

He did indeed have major injury issues the season before he move to the Clippers but otherwise had been relatively healthy throughout his career (7 seasons in a row before 2019-20 with more 60 games played).

We've seen Porter's injury woes building and compounding over time. He's now played in less than 30 games in each of the last two seasons. He played in fewer than 50 the year before that; less than 60 the year before that.
Actually... I think you are right. I misremembered it. This was the exact situation - people thought he had lost interest and I contended that it was injuries that derailed his play. I think Porter could be in similar situation now.

There aren’t a lot of deals I like out there for Bogey, if I’m honest (even though he’d be the first I’d move). I’d like to trade him for a younger player and maybe picks. Nance and Covington are the two sort of lateral moves I’d like for Bogey. Can’t really see anything else out there that makes a lot of sense.
Covington wouldnt be a lateral move. We’d give up additional assets, for sure.

Good defender. Long. Good rebounder. Good offensively. 40+% career 3PT shooter. Nice guy. Risky but ultimate buy low guy with really good ceiling that hinges only on health. If he’s healthy his overall skill is on par with a Bojan/Clarkson/Ingles caliber but with different skills we need.

Remember when the Rockets signed Christian Wood for 15 mill and we signed Favors at 10 mill. That was a good one

I bet Porter is who they’re targeting. He’s an an up and down career, wildly he just turned 28 this year. I think he can be very good for us in this system and I’d be fine if that’s who they used the TPMLE on. Idk maybe he can be gotten on a minimum too.

Last edited:
Good defender. Long. Good rebounder. Good offensively. 40+% career 3PT shooter. Nice guy. Risky but ultimate buy low guy with really good ceiling that hinges only on health. If he’s healthy his overall skill is on par with a Bojan/Clarkson/Ingles caliber but with different skills we need.
I think in the right situation Porter can be a decent role player. He can be our Bobby Portis.