What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

Bey was projected to be a mid first round prospect at some point last year before falling to the Mavs at #37. Morgan was a consensus UDFA before the 2019 draft even started.

Now that we have Gay, would you trade Bojan for Marcus Smart?

I wouldn't. I would play Gay in Niang's role and maybe give him a few of Ingles minutes. Gay will be 35 when the season starts. I don't think he's a starter at this point in his career and he would be a huge downgrade offensively from Bogey. We're also pretty deep at guard now with Conly, Mitchell, Clarkson and Butler.

Now that we have Gay, would you trade Bojan for Marcus Smart?
Dude we got a million guards that deserve minutes.

I think the Jazz can afford to lose one more rotation player at most before we’re looking at a meaningfully different team. I would prefer “meaningfully different” not be “a team trying to get 5 guards minutes”.

But to the broader question on if Gay makes Bojan more expendable, then the answer is “certainly.”

Bey shares some similarity with Butler in terms of draft stock. Borderline lottery/mid first round prospect who fell to the second round. Getting Bey is like getting a first round talent. Except he doesn't have the injury issues of DedEx/Frank N and he's still only a sophomore trying to work things out in the league.

If anyone told me that at the front-end of the offseason we would ended up with Jared Butler, Rudy Gay, and Hassan Whitesides (after dumping Favors into cap-space), I woulda thought they were blowing smoke.

Last edited:
If anyone told me that at the front-end of the offseason we would ended up with Jared Butler, Rudy Gay, and Hassan Whitesides (after dumping Favors into cap-space), I woulda thought they were blowing smoke.
The FO made an excellent job having such limited options to begin with. Feels like we did what we could so I am not going to complain (too much*) even if we don't succeed.

Dude we got a million guards that deserve minutes.

I think the Jazz can afford to lose one more rotation player at most before we’re looking at a meaningfully different team. I would prefer “meaningfully different” not be “a team trying to get 5 guards minutes”.

But to the broader question on if Gay makes Bojan more expendable, then the answer is “certainly.”

Smart can defend 3’s and a lot of 4’s too. Just sayin’.

About the only “big” move that still might make any sense is to move Bogey in some sort of multi-team trade in which we receive a starting caliber younger defensive 3/4 and maybe even some future draft capital. Save tax and stay contending.

Well, now that this offseason is looking like it’s almost a finished product, here’s my review. Overall, I give it an 8/10, with the opportunity for that to go up depending on how we stick the landing on the moves around the margins.

Good things:
(1) We got off Favors’ terrible contract.
(2) We overachieved in the draft by snagging Butler and picking up two future seconds in the process
(3) We signed Rudy Gay.
(4) We moved on from Matt Thomas.
(5) Forrest’s emergence into an NBA player. I think this dude has already shown a big leap between year one and two, suggesting he is an NBA player. Sweet! It’s

Meh things:
(1) we signed Whiteside. I suppose we filled a need here, but the fit is weird and doubles down on the style of play that got exposed in the playoffs.

Incomplete/unfinished things:
(1) we haven’t done enough yet to address the perimeter defense. Gay gives us someone that can guard 3-5, to help Royce. But I really think we need at least one more guy that can lock down 2-4 or even 2-3 if needed. Maybe Justice Winslow is that guy, and I’m sure he’d be thrilled with even a minimum contract at this point. Still possible to go a little further here.
(2) we still seem too attached to developmental projects that aren’t ever going to work out. I’m disappointed we extended a qualifying offer to Brantley, and I’m not sure what Oni has done to maintain his roster spot. I’d rather replace these guys with new projects (e.g. Tyler Bey). Still TBD I guess. Anyone know Oni’s guarantee date?

If the Jazz stick the landing on the last minimum signing and make better choices with developmental guys on the back end of the roster, I’ll bump this rating up to a 9/10.

Most importantly, I don’t think we’ve done anything stupid that will blow up in our face to clean up next offseason.