What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

The funny thing is that Dort wasnt even drafted, so it ended up being a deep pull.
Right! I think he was more well known among the casual draft people like myself. That seemed like an agent doing the "don't draft my guy we have a spot we want to send him". Maybe it wasn't though and every team that followed that edict gets a dunce cap.

I still can't believe coming off a two way and signing a deal before the bubble that he didn't push for more... he had shown enough that he was going to get much better offer in FA... at least get player options.

Right! I think he was more well known among the casual draft people like myself. That seemed like an agent doing the "don't draft my guy we have a spot we want to send him". Maybe it wasn't though and every team that followed that edict gets a dunce cap.

I still can't believe coming off a two way and signing a deal before the bubble that he didn't push for more... he had shown enough that he was going to get much better offer in FA... at least get player options.
Cant believe we took Justin Wright Foreman over him smfh

And Brantley and Oni,
I remember hoping we’d take Dort with one of those picks as they were occurring. He absolutely single-handedly abused USU and freshman Neemi Queta in a tournament in Vegas and looked every bit an NBA guy in doing so. I thought Oni was a good pick at the time, but the other two were WTF type picks even for the end of the second round. Like no one was drafting Brantley or JWF. Why’d you buy the picks, Dennis?

You know who did the Dort this past year to Queta and USU? Bones Hyland.

It is sad that a collection of 5-random posters on this board could have scouted and drafted better than the FO most of the past few years.

Last edited:
Just barely on ESPN700.
Checketts: “Would you trade Donovan for Dame?”

Spence: Yes
Tom Haberstroh: Yes
Porter Larsen: Yes
Tim McMahon: I don’t know

I post it because, would this be anywhere near a conversation a year ago? There’s definitely some noise out there. You would not ever hear local radio asking if the Jazz should trade Donovan for anyone about a year ago, yet it’s become a discussion. Spence really kind of pushing this point today. He’s not implying he knows it’s true, but he’s talking a lot about it today.

A good point he made is, sure Donovan’s younger, but if it is true that he doesn’t like it here, don’t let it snowball, you still have 5-6 good years of Dame left and you won’t have a guy in the locker room that everyone knows has a foot out the door creating tension within the organization. If Dame becomes available, the Jazz should rework the roster in a trade and do it.

Last edited:
Give me:

JC + #30 for Marcus Smart
then,
HH’s nuclear option of Favors and pick for Dort

Let’s defend the **** out ****ing everything.
I don’t want to move JC at all, but I’d have a hard time saying no *if* Smart agrees to an extension. You can’t afford to lose JC for a one year rental.

Just barely on ESPN700.
Checketts: “Would you trade Donovan for Dame?”

Spence: Yes
Tom Haberstroh: Yes
Porter Larsen: Yes
Tim McMahon: I don’t know

I post it because, would this be anywhere near a conversation a year ago? There’s definitely some noise out there. You would not ever hear local radio asking if the Jazz should trade Donovan for anyone about a year ago, yet it’s become a discussion. Spence really kind of pushing this point today. He’s not implying he knows it’s true, but he’s talking a lot about it today.

A good point he made is, sure Donovan’s younger, but if it is true that he doesn’t like it here, don’t let it snowball, you still have 5-6 good years of Dame left and you won’t have a guy in the locker room that everyone knows has a foot out the door creating tension within the organization. If Dame becomes available, the Jazz should rework the roster in a trade and do it.
Donovan is already my favorite Jazz player of all time and I’d still do this immediately, without question. Dame is an MVP caliber player and Utah is one of maybe 2-3 spots he’d be okay leaving Portland for. Move 2-3 pieces around like Bogey or JC to adjust the roster and that’s an actual contender.

Charlotte might take Favs without much or any sweetners... they have space. Rumored to like Turner but who knows if they can put a deal together for him. They have space but not like guys are falling on themselves to sign there... so it might be viewed as a solid "signing" for them. They might draft a big and in that case a stop gap option like Favs would be an option. We pick up a trade exception in that scenario (not that we'd actually use it).

Charlotte might take Favs without much or any sweetners... they have space. Rumored to like Turner but who knows if they can put a deal together for him. They have space but not like guys are falling on themselves to sign there... so it might be viewed as a solid "signing" for them. They might draft a big and in that case a stop gap option like Favs would be an option. We pick up a trade exception in that scenario (not that we'd actually use it).
They've been my primary target all along. Their big rotation is impressively bad and has been forever.

They might be able to do a Graham S&T and Washington or Bridges and a 1st for Turner.

Donovan is already my favorite Jazz player of all time and I’d still do this immediately, without question. Dame is an MVP caliber player and Utah is one of maybe 2-3 spots he’d be okay leaving Portland for. Move 2-3 pieces around like Bogey or JC to adjust the roster and that’s an actual contender.
1. We don't know that Dame would be cool with it.
2. Dame isn't a little older, he's 7 years older.
3. Donovan continues to improve every year.
4. They are under contract for the same amount of time.
5. Dame make like 80% more, year-by-year.

This sounds like a bunch of dudes whose jobs are to engage the listener engaging their listeners. It's a no and an easy one from me.

They might be able to do a Graham S&T and Washington or Bridges and a 1st for Turner.
The rumor is Hayward for Turner (and likely Warren or Lamb). Sends Gordo home... gets the Hornets a big... they'd likely still want a good backup as Turner has a hard time staying healthy.

In a vacuum, there’s a zero percent chance I trade Don for Dame straight up. Is Portland throwing in a pick?

If we know Don is unhappy and will request a trade in two years, then yeah, I’d do it.

But in a vacuum, there’s no way I’d trade a player that’s arguably already as good as Dame that is 7 years younger than Dame for Dame straight up.

And I love Dame. Maybe my favorite individual player in the NBA.

In a vacuum, there’s a zero percent chance I trade Don for Dame straight up. Is Portland throwing in a pick?

If we know Don is unhappy and will request a trade in two years, then yeah, I’d do it.

But in a vacuum, there’s no way I’d trade a player that’s arguably already as good as Dame that is 7 years younger than Dame for Dame straight up.

And I love Dame. Maybe my favorite individual player in the NBA.
But also... how do we know that Dame won't demand a trade? I do not see the obvious upside here.