What's new

Jazz plan to sign Denzel Valentine

If he’s good why would a guard/wing starved team like the Cavs let him go?

He’s probably not that good that’s the reality of most fringe players, but there’s a lot of reasons why teams miss on guys. CLE actually has quite a bit of depth on the wing, so I don’t think too much of him getting the short end of the stick when they desperately needed a PG.

Context matters, unless you’re clinging onto a bad faith argument of course.

Valentine's like a discount version of Jingles. But the Jingles we have now is merely a shell of his former self anyways.

Even a shell of Jingles is still a lot better than this guy.

Last edited:
Honestly love the dudes they’ve been getting on these deals, at least given the context.

Tend to agree…I would like them to give a shot at a true unknown, but it’s slim pickings when we’re 100+ deep. They seem to be picking somewhat known commodities who might fit perfectly into what we do….which isn’t a bad way to go about things.

Dude is only 6' 4”????
Think he has long arms doe.

He's a guy that could have some success in our system but will not help the defense. Finding a decent wing would be good for next year when either Joe rides into the sunset or if he's moved before the deadline.

Have no problem with kicking the tires on these types of guys. Never know if you'll be be able to unlock something in them and get a contributor with no long-term risk.

Think he has long arms doe.

He's a guy that could have some success in our system but will not help the defense. Finding a decent wing would be good for next year when either Joe rides into the sunset or if he's moved before the deadline.
He might help our D. I know advanced defensive metrics like DBPM arent perfect, but I dont watch a lick of Denzel Valentine.

He has a career 0 DBPM, which is probably better than average.

I think the reason the dude has been cheeks in the NBA is that he has way way below average finishing ability and can't draw fouls.

I think he's a guy who could have a later career resurgence. He should model his game after a guy like Joe Ingles. I think Utah is a good system for his offensive skills, and if he turns out to actually be a good defender, he might have a role for the Jazz.

His measurements are actually really good.

6'10.75 wingspan
6'6 standing reach
220 lbs

He's a big guard/mid-sized wing.

Have no problem with kicking the tires on these types of guys. Never know if you'll be be able to unlock something in them and get a contributor with no long-term risk.
Ennis probably better, but Valentine is a lot more interesting.