What's new

Jazz Players Defend Kanter and Say He was NOT a Cancer

Sexual Favors

If there's some bad blood between Enes Kanter and his former teammates now, it's only a recent development.

Asked this week whether the frustrated center's departure shifted the mood in the locker room and helped spark the team's late-season successes, players came to Kanter's defense.

"Enes was a good guy," swingman Joe Ingles said. "There were no issues in the locker room. There were no issues on the court."

There was a clear demarcation in the Utah Jazz's season, and it came in the middle of February. After the All-Star break the Jazz won 19 games; every team that won more is currently prepping for the playoffs. In that stretch the Jazz were also the league's top defense.

Of course, with the All-Star break also came the trade deadline and the deal that sent Kanter and Steve Novak to Oklahoma City.

But despite Kanter's frustrations, which boiled over just before the break when he went public with his desire to be traded, the Jazz said he wasn't a distraction to the team.

"It wasn't a change of chemistry," Jazz forward Derrick Favors said. "I think it was bound to happen either way."

Even forward Trevor Booker, who has been unafraid to fire back at Kanter for comments he made about the Jazz organization last month, didn't seem to think the move changed the mood.

"The locker room was fine when he was here," Booker said, " and it was great after he left. So not much changed."

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2413571-155/utah-jazz-say-there-were-no

Not the picture Locke and others would have you believe, eh?

Orrrr, it could just be that every player on the team has more class than Enes Kanter. What does your heart tell you?

I don't believe for one second that Kanter was a locker room cancer.
I do believe that he was a poor fit with his immaturity toward the game.

If Locke or anyone else has ever portrayed the situation differently than this, I haven't seen it. What appears to have happened is that Kanter was an established member of a good team culture, but then surprised everyone by demanding a trade after they went their separate ways for the All Star break. Once he got his wish he really set the situation on fire by saying bad things about the organization, his teammates, the fans, and virtually everything else associated with Utah (except the mountains). He even walked into the arena and virtually begged for the role of villain. Given his post-Utah behavior I don't find it surprising at all that he has become Public Enemy #1 for the Jazz. He practically begged for this role. Given his pattern of behavior I'll bet he wishes guys like you would quit apologizing for him.

Orrrr, it could just be that every player on the team has more class than Enes Kanter. What does your heart tell you?

Class? As in sensationalist tweets that Enes didn't respond to? My heart tells me Enes is immature, but also misunderstood.

Dude, Locke has been saying he was a cancer ever since the trade. He's probably said it fifteen times.
Well I never complained about my ex-wife until she started going around telling lies about me. Now, as a result of her blatant efforts to make herself look good by attempting to damage my reputation, I see her as a cancer. So even though I haven't heard Locke make the comments you're referencing, I still understand why he would react this way given how Kanter has caused the situation to play out.

The difference is Locke does it too be theatrical and dramatic, which is essentially what Kanter did. I think it is more forgiveable with Enes given that it is his own situation he was expressing himself on, and is only 22, whereas Locke is a grown *** man who is addicted to gossip.

I'll go on record as saying he was not a cancer in the locker room, a funny guy, good rebounder and great on O.

I'll also go on record and say he was concerned more about his stats than wins, cancer like on D, immature, has an idiotic agent, that the Jazz are much better without him and that he will always limit the success of the team he is on. Also extremely selfish on the court. Good riddance.

Reactions: MVP
They are not defending him, they are just being honest and classy. By all accounts he was a sometimes immature but likeable guy. It seems he didn't have many close friends in the locker room though.

He made a lot of enemies after what he said. Teammates felt betrayed (and surprised) and in reality, it was such a stupid move by 'the player who shall not be named anymore'. So dumb, uncalled for and unprofessional, specially against a first-class organization. His recent play in OKC also raised some eyebrows about how committed he really was with the team (suddenly the guy can pass the ball?). It's clear he is a me-first player and he was a bad fit with the culture that was being built here.

Locke is also a fan and is hurt, don't take him too seriously on these things.

BTW, don't get me wrong, but why keep defending him while it's obvious he ****ted on the Jazz? Just leave us someone to hate...he deserved it 100% and it's fun to have a public enemy Nº1. I'm looking forward to the next OKC-Jazz game (if he is still there....).

Class? As in sensationalist tweets that Enes didn't respond to? My heart tells me Enes is immature, but also misunderstood.

I too wonder why the Utah Jazz franchise lashed out, completely unprovoked, at Enes Kanter. Like, why? It's not like he insulted an entire franchise, city or his teammates.

Classless on our part, and I, for one, won't stand for it, by god!

@latin jazz

I think it is easier for Enes to pass un OKc than it was here, because they play at a faster pace and are trying to score in early shot clocks, the passes for his assists are often being made when defenses weren't wntirely set, whereas he was facing double teams and set defenses here. That is a world of difference for an inexperienced passer.

If Locke or anyone else has ever portrayed the situation differently than this, I haven't seen it. What appears to have happened is that Kanter was an established member of a good team culture, but then surprised everyone by demanding a trade after they went their separate ways for the All Star break. Once he got his wish he really set the situation on fire by saying bad things about the organization, his teammates, the fans, and virtually everything else associated with Utah (except the mountains). He even walked into the arena and virtually begged for the role of villain. Given his post-Utah behavior I don't find it surprising at all that he has become Public Enemy #1 for the Jazz. He practically begged for this role. Given his pattern of behavior I'll bet he wishes guys like you would quit apologizing for him.
This post screams Lakers to me. That's my hope. L. A. drops a max bomb on the Thunder, who eventually give up a 1st round pick for a 1/2 year rental. Enes, Boozer, Kobe and Swaggy P? Can it get more disfunctionally entertaining than that? Kanter thrives in his villain role and the Jazz (now successful) go on to further develop their rivalry with the Lakers for years to come. It's like a script that writes itself.

This post screams Lakers to me. That's my hope. L. A. drops a max bomb on the Thunder, who eventually give up a 1st round pick for a 1/2 year rental. Enes, Boozer, Kobe and Swaggy P? Can it get more disfunctionally entertaining than that? Kanter thrives in his villain role and the Jazz (now successful) go on to further develop their rivalry with the Lakers for years to come. It's like a script that writes itself.

Doesn't sound like he's seeking the max. He just wants to be happy and appreciated.

obviously a good fit for me from day one. They opened their arms. I just like playing with all of these guys. They give it 100 percent every time. I would definitely like to come back here.”

Kanter is expected to command a contract that carries at least a $12 million annual salary. That figure could potentially shoot as high as $15 million annually.

“I’m not nervous at all, and I have no idea what kind of contract I’m going to get,” Kanter said of free agency. “Like I said, I just want to be on a team, I just want to be happy and I just want to see this team get success and make the playoffs. I’m not nervous at all. That contract thing, my agent handles it. I’m not really worried about it.”

Kanter also said he is not concerned with whether he starts or comes off the bench next season, although a part of his unhappiness in Utah stemmed from a lack of playing time.

“It’s not my decision. It’s the coach’s decision,” Kanter said. “He is the one who is making those decisions. I’m just working with everything. I just want to help this team win. Every minute I’m on the floor if I’m playing, if I’m playing zero minutes, I just want this team to succeed and get wins. It’s his team.”

https://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-thunder-notebook-restricted-free-agent-enes-kanter-talks-business/article/5410896

Yeah. I'm sure he'd gladly take less money to feel more appreciated.

I'm a Kanter fan. He's a 20/10 guy who would be great if he were more mature and would do his best on defense. But he isn't and doesn't (yet.)

Somebody is going to pay him. It might not be a max, but I'd be surprised if it isn't close to that.

I can't believe that anybody with years of Kanter experience to look back upon would buy these words. If he is not offered a max contract the slight will fester inside of him and eventually he'll blow up emotionally just as he did earlier this year. It wouldn't surprise me, though, if his future blowups remain directed at the Jazz because I would assume he is eventually going to start learning lessons about burning bridges.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2413571-155/utah-jazz-say-there-were-no

Not the picture Locke and others would have you believe, eh?

Dude, you have got to let Kanter's nuts go SF

https://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?28912-The-Lakers-Kevin-Love-and-the-Utah-Jazz

Every time I see you post about Kanter, a Too Short song pops in my head (Warning NSFW, or around your kids, or your bishop)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIp5SAOQOhQ

Do you like the way they swang?