What's new

Jazz Preparing Conley Offer in Range of 75/3

There needs to be a team option on his third year or else this could turn into Love or Blake 2.0 easily.

Tony seems fairly confident on two years. I trust him more than Stein.

If Conley signs for 2 years I wont hate it - I might even take back some of the bad **** I said about him. It's really the only way it makes sense for the Jazz.

Not sure why Conley would take just two years. The other PGs in his range won’t be, right?

There is literally a reason no player until Donovan had got a PO. The teams are meant to be given the leverage. He would have signed the full max with all the other bells and whistles, it may have taken another week or two. Big deal. The Jazz blundered Mitchell’s contract by giving him the PO. In the end, it’ll end the same way. Stop pretending being nice is somehow a benefit. Lindsey did absolutely NOTHING right his last year here. NOTHING.
It has nothing to do with being nice. Odds are it was the concession they had to give to get the deal done.

Then again this was DL so who knows what **** was rattling around in his brain at the time.

If the Jazz do resign Conley, they need to preserve him by just letting him play 20-24 mins in the regular season. That way, he'll be all good to go and fresh for the playoffs.
Hamstring injuries are notoriously difficult to manage. No matter what the load management looks like it takes a single step and pivot just wrong to tweak it again. I seriously doubt we will see him play more than 60 games in the regular season or more than half of the playoff games.

So if we extrapolate the rumored deal of 25 per year for 2 years and adjust for the actual games he will play then he's actually making about 33 per year. Doesn't seem like much of a deal.

So if we extrapolate the rumored deal of 25 per year for 2 years and adjust for the actual games he will play then he's actually making about 33 per year. Doesn't seem like much of a deal.
If you want him to play playoff games you might need to pay him more than that. I don't think his previous deal included playoff games.

Sure, it's unlikely, but there's not much else to do at this point unfortunately.
Other than not sign him and let the new draft picks have some burn or see what we can get at the vet min and use the money we are drastically overpaying Conley to actually address the issues we have known about for, oh, 4 years now.

It has nothing to do with being nice. Odds are it was the concession they had to give to get the deal done.

Then again this was DL so who knows what **** was rattling around in his brain at the time.
The Jazz gave these concessions already: Gave him the deal a year before he was a RFA, gave him the easiest clause to get to the super-max money, gave him a trade kicker. The Jazz gave him all those things, and that's why teams get to say, and have always said. NO PLAYER OPTION, because we already gave you all those other things. There was NO chance. NONE that he wouldn't have eventually signed the contract without the PO, and it is one of the worst blunders in franchise history that they just gave it to him. It absolutely has to do with being nice and not ruffling his emotional feathers. Lindsey got blamed for the Hayward hardball and then over-corrected by using no leverage at all on this one. Lockes even mentioned it on his podcast, that the Jazz have gotten blowback for giving Donovan whatever he wanted in that contract, and they got blowback when they handled Haywards the way they did. The problem? Its going to end the exact same way and all you gained was one less year of contract for your star player to zero benefit.

I could be wrong but I think I read the cap/LT is set to go up a lot the next few years. If true, this might be a much easier pill to swallow and not bad at all.

I agree A two year/ 50 mil only contract is reasonable
He should have 2 good years left in him
Other than hamstrings don't think he's suffered a major injury

I could be wrong but I think I read the cap/LT is set to go up a lot the next few years. If true, this might be a much easier pill to swallow and not bad at all.
By the time that happens, most of these contracts will have ran out. The new TV deal wouldn't kick in until around 2024-25

Other than not sign him and let the new draft picks have some burn or see what we can get at the vet min and use the money we are drastically overpaying Conley to actually address the issues we have known about for, oh, 4 years now.

Conleys money can only go to Conley. We're capped out even without him.

Sure I wish we'd done other things several seasons back, but at this point it's Conley vs a vet min or exception guy. I'll take Conley.

The Jazz gave these concessions already: Gave him the deal a year before he was a RFA, gave him the easiest clause to get to the super-max money, gave him a trade kicker. The Jazz gave him all those things, and that's why teams get to say, and have always said. NO PLAYER OPTION, because we already gave you all those other things. There was NO chance. NONE that he wouldn't have eventually signed the contract without the PO, and it is one of the worst blunders in franchise history that they just gave it to him. It absolutely has to do with being nice and not ruffling his emotional feathers. Lindsey got blamed for the Hayward hardball and then over-corrected by using no leverage at all on this one. Lockes even mentioned it on his podcast, that the Jazz have gotten blowback for giving Donovan whatever he wanted in that contract, and they got blowback when they handled Haywards the way they did. The problem? Its going to end the exact same way and all you gained was one less year of contract for your star player to zero benefit.
You act like Mitchell said "well we didn't care about a player option, but sure why not?" I guarantee you Mitchell's camp had that as a requirement.

Conleys money can only go to Conley. We're capped out even without him.

Sure I wish we'd done other things several seasons back, but at this point it's Conley vs a vet min or exception guy. I'll take Conley.
Conley could be sign and traded though.

I don't think we get a player better than Conley doing that, but I think we could still get value.

You act like Mitchell said "well we didn't care about a player option, but sure why not?" I guarantee you Mitchell's camp had that as a requirement.
Lol. EVERY player camp wants a player option. In the restricted free agency situations it’s the teams job to use their leverage and say NO.