What's new

Jazz Roster (Updated for Collins Trade)

Bump

George - THT - Sexton - Dunn
Clarkson - Agbaji - (Juzang)
Markkanen - Fontecchio - Sensabaugh - (Hauser)
Collins - Hendricks - Samanic
Kessler - Olynyk - (Potter)

I’m still highly skeptical that either Sexton or Olynyk make it through this season without getting traded. I think it makes a lot of sense to combine their salaries and some picks to go get another star wing to team up with Lauri.

Last edited:
That's a very good starting 5 with depth up and down the roster. Playoffs incoming pretty comfortably, even with other teams improving if George doesn't give away too many points on defense.

Tony Jones was on ESPN700 today:

-He doesn't expect Keyonte to be the starter opening night but thinks he will be in the rotation. Says he's too good for the Jazz not to put him in the rotation, and the Jazz see something special in him and are going to want to get him in the rotation right away and develop him.
-He's not sure Hendricks will be in the rotaion to begin the season because the front court is so loaded. Right now he projects to be the 5th big and Hardy might not want to play 5 bigs.
-Keyonte's ankle will be fine for training camp. Hendricks and Sensabaugh are both fine, says if summer league would've been 2 weeks later both guys would've played.
-His prediction for the starting lineup opening night is Dunn/Clarkson/Lauri/Collins/Kessler.
-He thinks Keyonte and Ochai could be the eventual long-term starting backcourt, thinks Ochai's game compliments Keyonte's very well.
-There is some interest in Herro in Utah's front office. If they can be a 3rd team in a Dame trade and bring in Herro without giving up a lot of assets, they would definitely consider it.
-The front office likes where the team is at and thinks they're in a position to strike big next summer. They have a lot of depth, a lot of tradeable contracts, a lot of assets.
-He reiterated again that the Jazz don't want a prolonged rebuild, they've repeatedly said they don't want it to drag out 4, 5 or 6 years

Last edited:

-He doesn't expect Keyonte to be the starter opening night but thinks he will be in the rotation. Says he's too good for the Jazz not to put him in the rotation, and the Jazz see something special in him and are going to want to get him in the rotation right away and develop him.
-He's not sure Hendricks will be in the rotaion to begin the season because the front court is so loaded. Right now he projects to be the 5th big and Hardy might not want to play 5 bigs.
-Keyonte's ankle will be fine for training camp. Hendricks and Sensabaugh are both fine, says if summer league would've been 2 weeks later both guys would've played.
-His prediction for the starting lineup opening night is Dunn/Clarkson/Lauri/Collins/Kessler.
-He thinks Keyonte and Ochai could be the eventual long-term starting backcourt, thinks Ochai's game compliments Keyonte's very well.
-There is some interest in Herro in Utah's front office. If they can be a 3rd team in a Dame trade and bring in Herro without giving up a lot of assets, they would definitely consider it.
-The front office likes where the team is at and thinks they're in a position to strike big next summer. They have a lot of depth, a lot of tradeable contracts, a lot of assets.
-He reiterated again that the Jazz don't want a prolonged rebuild, they've repeatedly said they don't want it to drag out 4, 5 or 6 years
If Dunn can continue to play like he did last year and Collins can rebound nicely after a down year then that starting lineup is really good and our bench is really good and really deep.
We definitely make the playoffs next year

A.) I like Dunn, but if they think Keyonte has starting chops, they should roll with him and let him learn on the job.

B.) I’ll be shocked if all of Sexton, THT and Olynyk are all on the roster after the trade deadline. Jazz need to decide now who they want to keep around, and either extend them or trade them.

C.) I’m personally not that interested in Herro, but I do like Jaime Jaquez. If he’s available in all this and the Jazz could snag him, that would be a solid get.

The Dunn stuff is a departure from his "Kris has to make the roster" line so that is notable I think. It makes sense tbh. Start with a guy that can defend in the backcourt who may be more inclined to set other up. Sexton/Keyonte backcourt off the bench may not be ideal... but Sexton and JC survived.

I don't get the Herro fit unless Sexton is moved. You could slide JC back to the bench. IDK the backcourt needs some diversity and just not sure he is it.

Taylor needs to be in the rotation imo... whether KO is moved now or later I think it would be tough to be in a "rebuild/retool" and not playing one of your big prospects for a guy like KO that won't be here long term.

I like a lot of our parts... just some trimming or maneuvering needs to be done with forwards and non-pg guards. I guess we are primed for a big trade. Don't see the obvious player we could pursue just yet. I still think we are well ahead of where I would have guessed post Don trade.

A.) I like Dunn, but if they think Keyonte has starting chops, they should roll with him and let him learn on the job.
I like Dunn starting... if he isn't as good as last year then pivot. I like Keyonte earning it a bit off the bench... just don't get bench gunner syndrome... play like a pg/creator.
B.) I’ll be shocked if all of Sexton, THT and Olynyk are all on the roster after the trade deadline. Jazz need to decide now who they want to keep around, and either extend them or trade them.

C.) I’m personally not that interested in Herro, but I do like Jaime Jaquez. If he’s available in all this and the Jazz could snag him, that would be a solid get.
Agree

If Dunn is as good as he was last year he’s the best PG on the roster and should start. He was ****ing amazing though so it might be hard to replicate that.
I think he'd need to be a little less aggressive looking for his own shot than he was... but I think that was a necessity with the roster we were rolling out.

-The front office likes where the team is at and thinks they're in a position to strike big next summer.

Thanks for this write up, Jing. I wonder what superstar top 10 player will be available next summer after expressing deep unhappiness with a roster that didn't get significantly better during this offseason...

"Other GMs saw that Garnett was available and started working. They didn't realize that Ainge had been preparing for four years."

Thanks for this write up, Jing. I wonder what superstar top 10 player will be available next summer after expressing deep unhappiness with a roster that didn't get significantly better during this offseason...

"Other GMs saw that Garnett was available and started working. They didn't realize that Ainge had been preparing for four years."
Jaylen Brown. Both sides want the super max, but I think for Boston it’s to increase his trade value. Jaylen Brown on a 5 year deal is way better than him on a one year/player option. They can run it back, and then take the grandfather desk and try to find a different star to team up with Tatum & Porzingis.

The Dunn stuff is a departure from his "Kris has to make the roster" line so that is notable I think. It makes sense tbh. Start with a guy that can defend in the backcourt who may be more inclined to set other up. Sexton/Keyonte backcourt off the bench may not be ideal... but Sexton and JC survived.

I don't get the Herro fit unless Sexton is moved. You could slide JC back to the bench. IDK the backcourt needs some diversity and just not sure he is it.

Taylor needs to be in the rotation imo... whether KO is moved now or later I think it would be tough to be in a "rebuild/retool" and not playing one of your big prospects for a guy like KO that won't be here long term.

I like a lot of our parts... just some trimming or maneuvering needs to be done with forwards and non-pg guards. I guess we are primed for a big trade. Don't see the obvious player we could pursue just yet. I still think we are well ahead of where I would have guessed post Don trade.
Yeah, Dunn is the most logical if you dont view/trust THT or Sexton as a starting PG.

You dont want to give the reigns to either THT/Sexton just to take it away from them and give them a "demotion" to 6th man, which seems to be the most logical endpoint if the idea is that Keyonte is a soon to be, but not quite ready yet, starter.

I noticed there haven't been a lot of posts saying I am sure glad Simone is back. He had a nice run the last few Jazz games including a 20 point 9 rebound game against the Lakers. Maybe the game has slowed down for him.