What's new

Jazz sign Darius Bazley to a 3 year NG

I mean, that is definitely not true. If you lose weight you are going to lose strength.
This isn’t true. If you lose 20lbs of fat while maintaining your muscle mass you won’t lose strength. If in that cut he lost substantial muscle that’s another story. That’s why I said bad weight.

I don't think Jokic wishes he had that extra 40 lbs of "strength" he lost.

This isn’t true. If you lose 20lbs of fat while maintaining your muscle mass you won’t lose strength. If in that cut he lost substantial muscle that’s another story. That’s why I said bad weight.
Regardless of how much muscle mass is lost or not lost, you are going to have less strength at lower body weights.

I'd rather watch just about anyone play on our team over Luka. I've never heard of this guy and it's already an upgrade

Jokic is also a 7'er and was a clear NBA player at any weight.

Lofton might lose the only quality that makes him a potential NBA player and a highly productive player at lower levels.
He should probably have stayed at 300 lbs then or whatever he was.

This isn't true.
It is undeniably true.

A lot of other stuff here can be argued and interpreted different ways. Having less mass w/ the same amount of muscle mass is 100% of the time going to result in less strength. Your relative strength to body weight *may* be better, but your absolute strength will be less.

When it comes to basketball this is not true.
When it comes to basketball for NBA players who are looking to play the NBA style, two things that Lofton might not be capable of at 6'6 even if he got down to what we consider the normal basketball physique.

That's why it's interesting to get Lofton in the building to get a better understanding of him and how he reacts to weight changes.

This is something that I have been studying right now as I am losing weight (110 pounds so far). I am putting on muscle mass and losing body fat. I am stronger and leaner today than I was 5 years ago easily.
You were an unconditioned non athlete who was morbidly obese...

Lofton isnt out of shape per se. He's a professional athlete who plays 30+ MPG in a fast paced professional league while putting up ridiculous stats.

You can't really use your experiences here as they arent close to being comparable.

It is undeniably true.

A lot of other stuff here can be argued and interpreted different ways. Having less mass w/ the same amount of muscle mass is 100% of the time going to result in less strength. Your relative strength to body weight *may* be better, but your absolute strength will be less.
It’s not. In addition to @Chargers Jazz Angels i can add my own personal experience with this not being true.

If he loses weight, he will almost certainly lose strength in a sporting context. There's a reason why NFL offensive linemen are as big as they are. Personal weight loss is a different situation (congrats on the hard work btw). People inflate body fat% with athletic performance way too much. His weight does help him in certain situations, and his game really caters towards that. Having said that, at a smaller size he would also certainly be quicker/lighter on his feet and have better endurance. I think it would probably be a worthwhile tradeoff for him to lose some weight. Having said that, you don't want to take away what he's good at. If you go the extreme other direction and imagine Lofton shredded...he's not a pro player.