What's new

Jazz sign Darius Bazley to a 3 year NG

I was just asking for one example of a dude that lost some fluff and it was bad. I mean Julius Randle is definitely a bully ball guy and he slim’d up over a couple offseason and it seems to have benefited him.

It may not matter in the end we agree… just thought it would be a fun exercise to name one or two guys that should have stayed fat.
The new “is this a thing?”: strategizing development of young guys by “getting fatter” being thrown in with “develop a jump shot” and “learn to play defense.” This is actually one of the easier things to accomplish that it’s an underutilized superpower in NBA development. I mean, if losing fat is controversial and limits you in basketball terms, is the inverse not true that gaining fat would provide that same benefit? Why are we not clamoring for that?

The new “is this a thing?”: strategizing development of young guys by “getting fatter” being thrown in with “develop a jump shot” and “learn to play defense.” This is actually one of the easier things to accomplish that it’s an underutilized superpower in NBA development. I mean, if losing fat is controversial and limits you in basketball terms, is the inverse not true that gaining fat would provide that same benefit? Why are we not clamoring for that?

Size helps with certain things in the NBA. I don’t think that’s controversial. The majority of young players in the NBA need to put on size. More often than not, we are clamoring for guys to put on more size.

Size helps with certain things in the NBA. I don’t think that’s controversial. The majority of young players in the NBA need to put on size. More often than not, we are clamoring for guys to put on more size.
getting fatter is not what we are clamoring for lol. We are looking for more muscle and strength. If it comes with a little bad weight that is fine in some cases.

getting fatter is not what we are clamoring for lol. We are looking for more muscle and strength. If it comes with a little bad weight that is fine in some cases.

What matters is the effect on the game. There are some things that are better or worse at when at a different weight even weight even if it’s fat. So yeah, if you wanted a player to be better at sealing the post or boxing out, I would say it would benefit him to gain weight as fast as he can. Lofton’s game heavily relies on those things, so it is natural to think he will need to carry some extra weight.

What we’re really saying with Lofton is that without extra pounds, he has no value on an NBA court at all. He likely has too much, but he needs some and that’s why I believe we are making too much of this.

As far as I can tell, there are zero people who think that he should not try to lose weight, but there are some that recognize that he needs to be heavier to some extent because almost his entire game relies on him being heavier.

Watching Kenny… he’s not good cuz he’s fat. He’s skilled and moves well especially for his weight. He’s strong and uses his girth more in g league but watching the nba highlights and he’s in pick and roll and really using speed, footwork, ball handling. He’s not just bullying people in the post.

He’s a novelty because he’s fat but he’s not good because he’s fat.

Even if these NGs are non-committal moves, it sure looks like we arent trying to build a winning roster for next season. Lofton and Bazley are clear long term projects who are not gonna raise our floor or ceiling next season.

Last season we used our roster spots to try and address areas of needs by churning through 10 day deals which ended up with us getting Luka and Dunn. This time that same move would have been churning through wings who can either pass or play defense.

It also feels inevitable that Luka is going to be on the outside looking in after draft day.

Last edited:
Even if these NGs are non-committal moves, it sure looks like we arent trying to build a winning roster for next season. Lofton and Bazley are clear long term projects who are not gonna raise our floor or ceiling next season.

Last season we used our roster spots to try and address areas of needs by churning through 10 day deals which ended up with us getting Luka and Dunn. This time that same move would have been churning through wings who can either pass or play defense.

It also feels inevitable that Luka is going to be on the outside looking in after draft day.
They are freaking in season free agents.....

You sign them to fill out your roster for practices and so you can have someone to workout in the off-season and you can literally waive them whenever you want (up to a certain date). The likelihood of any player who is an in season free agents of being good enough to play a rotation role in the NBA is slim. Kris Dunn is an exception not the norm

I did a quick churn of GLeague stats comparing these two to Luka's and the Minivan when those two appeared there. All four were very similar.

Jazz have Hendrinks and Lauri out due to injury and somehow front court players aren't a need according to @HermanG
Oh so now the need is to get 2 injury replacements? To what end... put out a better team? Sure.

You going out of your way to call me out whenever you can is weird. We are not in the same league.

Oh so now the need is to get 2 injury replacements? To what end... put out a better team? Sure.

You going out of your way to call me out whenever you can is weird. We are not in the same league.
Well I drew a pretty clear line of thinking that the Jazz seem to be following and you can't even wrap your head around why, so yeah, we arent in the same league.