What's new

Jazz sign Darius Bazley to a 3 year NG

Yes you can. Shaq ability to move at his weight is what made him dominant. It shortened his career, but made him better

His ability to move was due to ..... fat? Or was his ability to move fat with amazing musculature the reason for his strength? This is an IQ test.

The notion that it was his fat and not huge muscle mass that made Shaq move is the worst take I’ve seen on JazzFanz. He had 7.5% body fat in Orlando and you want us to believe that after adding fat he became stronger.

We can test your hypothesis. Shaq was 345, 365, and 395 during his first through third championship year, so we should see his stats improving each year.

His ability to move was due to ..... fat? Or was his ability to move fat with amazing musculature the reason for his strength? This is an IQ test.

The notion that it was his fat and not huge muscle mass that made Shaq move is the worst take I’ve seen on JazzFanz. He had 7.5% body fat in Orlando and you want us to believe that after adding fat he became stronger.

We can test your hypothesis. Shaq was 345, 365, and 395 during his first through third championship year, so we should see his stats improving each year.
His ability to express strength is his ability to move at his body size when coming into contact with other players (also your ability to resist forces that others put on you). There other factors as well, your center of gravity/limb length/weight distribution/fiber types/cardiovascular endurance/etc.

You're being completely dishonest if you are acting like I said players like Shaq/Lofton should maximize body fat. Obviously there is some point where there is too much, but there is also a point where there is too little. There's a balance. For most NBA players that balance is going to trend towards being pretty lean (especially in the modern game, which is why Lofton may no place in the NBA even if he got down to your average NBA body fat %). I would estimate your average NBA player is between 12 and 18% body fat, but not everyone is going to be optimized at those %. Unique cases can exist where someone's advantage is their ability to move a large amount of weight. And also, any player playing at an advanced body weight is most likely going to have a shorter career as playing heavier will likely come with increased injury risk.

With Lofton when I watch him play, his superpower is pretty clear to me. The dude can really move, especially in that free throw line extended area, and just throw his weight into dudes. You seem to call this momentum and not strength, which does not make sense to me (if you want to explain further what you mean exactly, I'm waiting). It's not like he is rolling himself down a hill. He is creating the forces that move his body to displace others, which to me is strength. If you can gain weight and your other forces remain constant, than increased mass (even from fat) will result in greater strength output.

And yes, if Orlando Shaq played LA Shaq, LA Shaq would clearly be stronger.

Last edited: