What's new

Jazz sign Elijah Millsap aka BabySap to a three year deal.

Jazz love these types of deals because they can use them as trade fillers to teams wanting to shed salary and they just waive the non-guaranteed contract.

This is great, we get him through the end of the season. Then if the team needs the room they can drop him or include him in a trade, or we can keep him. I am sure its for the minimum as well. I assume each year is a team option.

A team can only sign a player to two 10-day contracts, after that they have to release him or offer him a contract at least to the end of the year. That's why we are offering him a deal, the later two years (team option) are great, too, in case he becomes a valuable rotation player so we can keep him, instead of lose him to a better offer from somebody else.

Shams Charania ‏@ShamsCharania
Elijah Millsap has agreed to sign a three-year deal with the Utah Jazz, agent Daniel Hazan tells RealGM. Team options for next two seasons.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/559123492923539457

This is what we SHOULD have done with Wesley Matthews. Instead, he was snatched up by Portland after his first season with the Jazz. I think we have just learned that when we find a nice player through scouting, injury opportunities, D-league caliber gem... that we bring a contractual condom for some protection for a couple of years.

Attaboys DL and KOC... Way to Trojan-up! I love locking up SAP #2 for 3 years.

Great. He's exactly the kind of hustle and energy guy that the Jazz need inthe edge of their rotation and in practice. Plus, it sort of helps to ease some of the bad blood between Utah and Paul. Jazz believed I him, and he came out and played about as well as canbe expected. He gets to stick and the Jazz have flexibility moving forward. I like it.

Now wondering if they keep Elliot Williams, or test-drive another 10 day guy or two.

Looking quickly it seems can't have two team options. Can have non-guarantee followed by team option, though. That's what I expect is happening here.

Looking quickly it seems can't have two team options. Can have non-guarantee followed by team option, though. That's what I expect is happening here.

You can if it is your first contract(rookie contract) if I'm not totally wrong but I didn't check so it is possible.

This is what we SHOULD have done with Wesley Matthews. Instead, he was snatched up by Portland after his first season with the Jazz. I think we have just learned that when we find a nice player through scouting, injury opportunities, D-league caliber gem... that we bring a contractual condom for some protection for a couple of years.

I don't think you would have got Matthews to agree to a team option unless the number was pretty big. He was only 22 at the time, baby Sap is 27.

I don't think you would have got Matthews to agree to a team option unless the number was pretty big. He was only 22 at the time, baby Sap is 27.

I'm sure they could've at least got 1 option year, maybe not two. He was an undrafted training camp invite. Same as Ian Clark and they did a 1 + 1 with him.

I'm sure they could've at least got 1 option year, maybe not two. He was an undrafted training camp invite. Same as Ian Clark and they did a 1 + 1 with him.
Who then became a starter. Once Wesley started putting up decent numbers there was no way he'd agree to a cheap deal. Completely different scenario than Clark or E. Millsap.

Because Wesley was undrafted and probably questioned whether he would even get a contract.

Why in the bloody hell would Matthews chose the baby sap deal over the one he got from Portland?

Why in the bloody hell would Matthews chose the baby sap deal over the one he got from Portland?

Nobody was saying that. We were saying on his first contract the Jazz offered him, they should have had options for more than the one season. Obviously he was taking the Portland deal.