What's new

Jazz sign Hassan Whiteside

A lot of people were hoping for Kaminski. This is better.

The best part is that it allows us to load manage Gobert against the truly awful teams of the league. You can use discount Rudy against bad and shorthanded teams with Doke as a backup. Or, if the worst happens, we could weather a Rudy injury without playing entirely differently. If Doke comes on, you can offload a min contract Whiteside pretty easily.
I think none of us here have any concerns over regular season management, it's all about playoffs when teams go fast and small on us.

I do believe one of the pros that comes with signing Whiteside is that he's actually a low post threat. If teams put someone like, let's say the 6'6 PJ Tucker or 6'8 Batum on Whiteside, he would crush them. I can't confidently say the same thing about Gobert.

Whiteside actually plays horrible D. Miami's D was better with him off the court because he was always out of position chasing blocks. Hopefully he will be more disiplined w Utah.

And hopefully he and Rudy can get along.

So if other team wants to play 5 out against Gobert just put in Whiteside
and tell them ok stop this
They would have to cancel 5 out very quickly
My thoughts exactly. Whiteside, in his prime, was much better with the ball than Gobert. At least that was the Whiteside i used to know. Not sure how much gas he has left after spending a disastrous year with the Kings.

I think none of us here have any concerns over regular season management, it's all about playoffs when teams go fast and small on us.
Yeah, OK, I will worry less if our point has a little more mobility than a traffic cone. Clippers are the only contending team out west that we really need to worry about doing that to us. All the other teams use big men.

Whiteside actually plays horrible D. Miami's D was better with him off the court because he was always out of position chasing blocks. Hopefully he will be more disiplined w Utah.

Jazz Defensive scheme doesn't really allow for freelancing. If he gets too crazy Doke gets all the minutes. Easy Peasy.

Some of this is true… but who was replacing Whiteside when he was out? How good is that player at defense?

Hassan has been fine in Portland and Sacramento. He’s fine as a backup. If him and gay are on the court we will get a bunch of offensive rebounds… we have always sucked with Rudy off the court anyway… Whiteside can at least hold down the fort on offense… if he gets 1 or 2 blocks by being a cat chasing a laser pointer then hopefully we collect the loose ball and we get a couple stops.

This is setting us up to be the exact same team we were last year. I don't think Quin will even attempt playing different schemes defensively. We will continue relying on the centers to clean up messes and that system will continue being abused in the playoffs by the first team that can competently play 5 out and shoot 3s.

The signing itself is good for the minimum. The signing as a signifier of what's to come is frustrating.

After thinking about it, I like it for the vet min. I do have questions about the middle of the roster. We’re still thin at perimeter defenders. And I’m angrier than ever at last summer. Nothing made sense, the draft and favors signing. We could’ve had bane or McDaniels instead of the mess we currently have. Do Doka or Hughes even play outside of major blowouts or injuries? Not good when you consider Bane or McDaniels would be contributors.

Does anyone here have health insurance? Life insurance? Auto Insurance? Did you ever play the game of life and spend $3000 at the beginning of the game to get one of those stock insurance certificates?

"IF RUDY GOES DOWN THEN WE SUCK - FOR A MINIMUM INVESTMENT WE HAVE SOME DECENT COVERAGE AND AT LEAST A SINGLE BIG TO BACK UP DOKA" - Redee R. Knot - Whiteside insurance agency
Minimum purchase necessary. No guarantee of coverage through force majeure, injury, general suckiness, clogged tampons, weak knees, gigantism, Sharon Lesbian slights, out dated position, missionary position, doggie style, or any other reason you or someone other than you may think of while smoking some stank plant. May suck soul out of team. May not actually play good defense. May cause coach to act like the glue sniffing actor on Airplane. Still, it's better than not having this certificate and come on... it's the cost of doing business ya bodagets!

Last edited:
Does anyone here have health insurance? Life insurance? Auto Insurance? Did you ever play the game of life and spend $3000 at the beginning of the game to get one of those stock insurance certificates?

"IF RUDY GOES DOWN THEN WE SUCK - FOR A MINIMUM INVESTMENT WE HAVE SOME DECENT COVERAGE AND AT LEAST A SINGLE BIG TO BACK UP DOKA" - Redee R. Knot - Whiteside insurance agency
Minimum purchase necessary. No guarantee of coverage through force majeure, injury, general suckiness, clogged tampons, weak knees, gigantism, Sharon Lesbian slights, out dated position, missionary position, doggie style, or any other reason you or someone other than you may think of while smoking some stank plant. May suck soul out of team. May not actually play good defense. May cause coach to act like the glue sniffing actor on Airplane. Still, it's better than not having this certificate and come on... it's the cost of doing business ya bodagets!
A while ago Colts offensive coordinator Thomas Moore had an amazing quote about why they didn't give backup QBs more practice reps and almost all went to Peyton Manning? He said "Because if 18 goes down, we are ****ed... and we don't practice ****ed". I feel very similarly about Gobert. If he goes down we are screwed. No matter who the backup is. The only hope if it happens is it doesn't happen in the playoffs and/or for long enough period that we miss the playoffs.

With that said, I don't mind the signing for the minimum. I just feel like we've misidentified our biggest problem and it's likely we won't fix it this year either.

I have mixed emotions about this signing. I just think it sends a signal to Doka that the Jazz still do not think you can handle backup minutes. Is Whiteside going to be happy if he is 3rd string? I am not worried about him causing problems. Wade is with the team and they have a relationship plus if he does act up then you cut him. The issue I have is the fact the Jazz still need another SF who can defend.

I think the Jazz need a SF that can defend and a SG/SF that can defend. We needed 3 perimeter defenders and have so far added 1.

I’m not wild about Whitesides. I want to see what we have in Doke. Is there really a need to three deep with traditional centers when we have other glaring needs?

Last edited:
I think the Jazz need a SF that can defend and a SG/SF that can defend. We needed 3 perimeter defenders and have so far added 1.

I’m not wild about Whitesides. I want to see what we have in Doke. Is there really a need to three deep with traditional centers when we have other glaring needs?
When Doke might suck? Good chance that’s a yeah.

The only thing I’m bugged by is it allows the defense to continue to be simple and lazy. Hopefully this is just a measure of safety but it doesn’t feel like it.

In any case, free agency is still young. There’s still some guys out there.