What's new

Jazz sign Hassan Whiteside

Rudy is not going anywhere. The Jazz are committed to an approach that Rudy makes work and HW enhances our ability to execute it. If Doke develops then he moves into the back up spot in a year. Ironic that it is the system that was largely built by the much hated DL.

I find this deal very interesting given that it's no secret the Jazz have interest in Pascal Siakam. I figured the Jazz were trying to do a deal centered around Bogey, but this makes me wonder if there's any possibility Gobert could be involved.
Adding Hassan does address the void without Favors, but then again, wasn't that supposed to be filled by Doke? I guess at minimum, there isn't much to lose by having really good Rudy insurance. Just odd to me to have 3 traditional centers in today's NBA.

But I just wonder if this is intentional to see if Quin's system could function without Rudy.

I don't think anybody has mentioned it, and since I'm already hated around here, I'll go ahead and do so.

- We seem to be worried about the luxury
- Ryan Smith has a business model where he isn't opposed to changing a good thing for the hopes of a better thing

Does this Whiteside signing have anything to do with Rudy's long term fit with the Jazz? Is our FO getting guys (Doke and now HW) who play like Rudy, although definitely not to his level, to see if we can manage without him?

A Rudy trade at the deadline could clear us out of the luxury and start a new path for the team. I don't know what to think, but this HW signing really is strange to me.
You are reading way to much into it. I think the Jazz simply don't want to risk having another Tony Bradley experience if Udoka is not ready. If they wanted to prepare for staying relevant after Rudy's departure they would have to somehow get 3 good defensive perimeter players first imo.

I love this signing and don't read anything into it, personally.

I think Occam's Razor wins the day here - HW is our backup C answer this season. Pretty sure Udoka isn't ready to man the non-Rudy minutes, and we generally have 16-18 of those a night.

Adding Hassan does address the void without Favors, but then again, wasn't that supposed to be filled by Doke? I guess at minimum, there isn't much to lose by having really good Rudy insurance. Just odd to me to have 3 traditional centers in today's NBA.

But I just wonder if this is intentional to see if Quin's system could function without Rudy.
You smoke low quality weed.

You are reading way to much into it. I think the Jazz simply don't want to risk having another Tony Bradley experience if Udoka is not ready. If they wanted to prepare for staying relevant after Rudy's departure they would have to somehow get 3 good defensive perimeter players first imo.
I agree. I don't think Rudy is on the move at all. Just speculating on what potential moves down the road.

As many have said, if it doesn't work this year, big changes may be coming. This could be a side research opportunity. Who knows....

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

I agree. I don't think Rudy is on the move at all. Just speculating on what potential moves down the road.

As many have said, if it doesn't work this year, big changes may be coming. This could be a side research opportunity. Who knows....

You just love snatching the faintest whiff of anything that supports your views. It would be hilarious if it weren’t also super sad.

You just love snatching the faintest whiff of anything that supports your views. It would be hilarious if it weren’t also super sad.
I chew the fat with other morons like myself about our favorite team.

When TJ says we will make big changes if this year doesn't work, what do you think that means?

The only place that Doke was slated as the back up this year is on this board. Lots of stuff being made up as if its real that doesnt have high face validity. And I may be the only one but I still like the longer term upside for Doke even though he may not be ready yet.

I actually really like this move now… because I’m a homer but also…

Whoteside is the perfect red tape for Udoka… he’s productive enough that Udoka will have to really tear his face off in practice to win the backup minutes. Udoka needs to be a guy with enough fire to tear people’s faces off. He needs to work himself into game shape…physically he looks fine… I think games just hit different. The practice battles should be epic unless Whiteside rolls over… which he shouldn’t do. It’s a nice insurance policy and gives Udoka a reasonable goal… be obviously better than Whiteside.

Whoteside is the perfect red tape for Udoka… he’s productive enough that Udoka will have to really tear his face off in practice to win the backup minutes. Udoka needs to be a guy with enough fire to tear people’s faces off. He needs to work himself into game shape…physically he looks fine… I think games just hit different. The practice battles should be epic unless Whiteside rolls over… which he shouldn’t do. It’s a nice insurance policy and gives Udoka a reasonable goal… be obviously better than Whiteside.
Amen

It also gives Whiteside an incentive to be more engaged rather than less which has been the heart of the problem with him. If he loses his spot in the rotation to a 90’s center that has basically been dragged through the mud, it might be over for him. It gives Whiteside a concrete goal as well.

This of course could result in locker-room chemistry problems, but if it results with a clearly superior player emerging, the other guy can ultimately be cut or moved.

Of course this is all pretty theoretical. I think we all know that this is Whitesides’ gig to lose.

A while ago Colts offensive coordinator Thomas Moore had an amazing quote about why they didn't give backup QBs more practice reps and almost all went to Peyton Manning? He said "Because if 18 goes down, we are ****ed... and we don't practice ****ed". I feel very similarly about Gobert. If he goes down we are screwed. No matter who the backup is. The only hope if it happens is it doesn't happen in the playoffs and/or for long enough period that we miss the playoffs.

With that said, I don't mind the signing for the minimum. I just feel like we've misidentified our biggest problem and it's likely we won't fix it this year either.
I get it,, but basketball isn't football. QBs are more important to a football team than Centers are to a basketball team.