What's new

Jazz sign Hassan Whiteside

I really hope Quin plays Gobert/Whiteside next to each other just for ***** and giggles
I’m waiting for the Gobert / Whiteside/ Udoka / Royce / Exum lineup.

But in seriousness, being able to put Gobert/Whiteside/Gay on the line in the crunch for securing rebounds off free throws is a nice little perk.

Whiteside is to Rudy as Mark Jackson was to John Stockton.
I wanted Mark Jackson for a long time because I thought he could fit into the same role as Stockton off the bench being a heavy assist man.

Seems to me to be more so an insurance policy in case Udoka isn't ready to play and also gives us depth.

Whiteside is 32 years old, definitely not the long-term answer at C. But he fits a similar mold to what Rudy does, he's 7'0" with a 7'7" wingspan, rebounds at a high level, and is one of the better shot blockers in the league.

Last season he averaged 8 points, 6 boards, and 1.5 blocks in 15 mpg off the bench for the Kings. The previous year he averaged 16 points, 14 rebounds, and 3 blocks as a starter for the Blazers.
Whiteside’s per 36 stats last year are remarkably similar to Rudy’s. Obviously not nearly the same impact, but just thought I’d mention it.

I think if Udoka came in and was putting up Whiteside numbers, even if he was doing so with all the weaknesses we mention Whiteside having, we'd all be over the moon and not be peeved about where we drafted him. I believe our view of Whiteside is colored a lot by the position in the argument we've been taking where Whiteside was being compared against Gobert. If we adjust for role, I think we'd be pretty happy if we took away our own mental baggage on the issue.

It's the same issue with Dwight Howard. I have disliked Howard for quite some time when everyone thought he was amazing. Eventually the tables turned and people realized how he was not a true guy you build around, but at that moment people then went very black-and-white with him and then he became very underrated as people kept comparing him against a franchise corner stone. Same thing for draft position. We compare guys against the hype and fail to contextualize how they may do in a role.

Bottom line is that we have a guy who a couple years ago was in the discussion of whether or not he's better than Rudy (he's not... and the discussion is kind of ridiculous), but instead of having that guy replace Rudy... we've got him backing him up for 18 mpg.

Ben Simmons sucks and DM is way better.... but what if I told you we had Simmons coming off the bench?

I think if Udoka came in and was putting up Whiteside numbers, even if he was doing so with all the weaknesses we mention Whiteside having, we'd all be over the moon and not be peeved about where we drafted him. I believe our view of Whiteside is colored a lot by the position in the argument we've been taking where Whiteside was being compared against Gobert. If we adjust for role, I think we'd be pretty happy if we took away our own mental baggage on the issue.

It's the same issue with Dwight Howard. I have disliked Howard for quite some time when everyone thought he was amazing. Eventually the tables turned and people realized how he was not a true guy you build around, but at that moment people then went very black-and-white with him and then he became very underrated as people kept comparing him against a franchise corner stone. Same thing for draft position. We compare guys against the hype and fail to contextualize how they may do in a role.

Bottom line is that we have a guy who a couple years ago was in the discussion of whether or not he's better than Rudy (he's not... and the discussion is kind of ridiculous), but instead of having that guy replace Rudy... we've got him backing him up for 18 mpg.

Ben Simmons sucks and DM is way better.... but what if I told you we had Simmons coming off the bench?
always liked the Whiteside comparison for Doke more than the Gobert one. There is only one Rudy. If Doke can average double double one day with some reliable low post moves such as a hook shot, he is a good pick at #27.

When Whiteside was playing for that contract he got with Miami he had Bob Court say he was the next Bill Russell. If we get that dedicated version of Whiteside the NBA is in trouble.

I find this deal very interesting given that it's no secret the Jazz have interest in Pascal Siakam. I figured the Jazz were trying to do a deal centered around Bogey, but this makes me wonder if there's any possibility Gobert could be involved.

Link about our interest in Siakam?

Also, does everyone have interest in Siakam?

Like Whiteside is actually good at scoring against small opponets, right? I think maybe that's the Jazz thought process. Cuz Favors health robbed him of above the rim play to punish small lineups like he use to have. Whiteside still has that?

Like Whiteside is actually good at scoring against small opponets, right? I think maybe that's the Jazz thought process. Cuz Favors health robbed him of above the rim play to punish small lineups like he use to have. Whiteside still has that?
I don't think it will be long before Doke can eat 6'8" fools for breakfast. His hands are pretty damn soft and he goes through guys rather than around them. I wonder if part of point of Whitesde was to mentor Doke on that side of the ball as well as fill time for Rudy.

Rudy, Hassan, Udoka
Jazz three headed monster :mad: :mad: :mad:
Can't wait to see our "big" lineup.
Ingles
Paschall
Dok
Whiteside
Gobert
We get all the rebounds

Dok with 19 big ones last night and three blocks. Gotta say this signing caught me off guard (as it did Dok apparently). The article I read said Wade played a hand in this, and I believe it. At the Vet minimum it's kind of like stumbling onto a 59 Les Paul in the Pawn Shop for $250, I mean who wouldn't snap it up? I mean even with apparent issues like Whiteside. Guy was a real impact player at one point and the case could be made that Portland was going better with Whiteside when Nurkic was injured than when he returned a mere couple years ago. He's apparently a bit of a headcase and this thing could go south, but for the price tag definitely worth the risk IMO!