What's new

Jazz sign Hassan Whiteside

It also gives Whiteside an incentive to be more engaged rather than less which has been the heart of the problem with him. If he loses his spot in the rotation to a 90’s center that has basically been dragged through the mud, it might be over for him. It gives Whiteside a concrete goal as well.

This of course could result in locker-room chemistry problems, but if it results with a clearly superior player emerging, the other guy can ultimately be cut or moved.

Of course this is all pretty theoretical. I think we all know that this is Whitesides’ gig to lose.
I'm not surprised that Whiteside took a minimum, but a bit surprised he took it from here. Probably a bitter pill to swallow being Rudy's backup after any previous beef. But I think there was probably a much different spin put on this. He was probably sold on the fact that we run a very specific defense that would be much more tailored to his needs than anywhere else, and he just needs to come in and spell Gobert for backup minutes and it may make him shine in that role, and if he's viewing Rudy getting a lot of credit for what he's doing, and then he's plugged into the exact system that he thinks he can accomplish the same thing, that this could be a high reward for him (in terms of exposure and attention). The other end of it is if this idea was a selling point for him or if it was more the Wade relationship.

I think it's a much easier sell for Quin to get him to play a specific way as he can subtly say "hey, look how successful Rudy is and here you're a minimum guy... you've got some talents and let's use those talents to give you the same opportunity." He's a guy who can clearly block shots. I don't think it's hard for him to understand the obvious of Rudy winning 3 DPOYs that he and Quin can take that ability and put it into the right places to transform him from a stat-chasing shot-blocker to a legitimate rim-protector, because I think he's got all those tools and he'd have to have some level of awareness (else he probably wouldn't have signed here) that Quin and Rudy can help take that to the next level.

I think everybody would. It would take more.

I think Bojan and JC for Siakim could be an interesting proposal.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app
But why would Toronto do that? If a third team could get involved to send assets then maybe there's even remotely a starting point for that idea.

And yes, I do that.

I have no idea. I don't know how disgruntled he is or they are.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
This is less about anyone being "disgruntled" and more about that Toronto is obviously rebuilding (and that it's fairly obvious that Siakam is a high-level complementary piece, not a star that can carry a team).

This is less about anyone being "disgruntled" and more about that Toronto is obviously rebuilding (and that it's fairly obvious that Siakam is a high-level complementary piece, not a star that can carry a team).
Are there reports that Siakam is available? I only saw something that said the Kings would be interested in him. If he’s available we have to do what we can to get him.

Are there reports that Siakam is available? I only saw something that said the Kings would be interested in him. If he’s available we have to do what we can to get him.
But what do we have? Ingles and Bogie are way off their timeline and we don’t have any good picks to send.

We’re about as far away from any hypothetical running for Siakam as a team can get.

The raptors were holed up in Tampa all year. There’s no way that Ujiri is overreacting to anything

Baynes was complete *** last year and I think he's actually been overrated over the years. I actually prefer Whiteside, especially because the Blancote memes are funny. Jock Landale would have probably been my first choice as a player if we could have Hinkie'd him.

Baynes was complete *** last year and I think he's actually been overrated over the years. I actually prefer Whiteside, especially because the Blancote memes are funny. Jock Landale would have probably been my first choice as a player if we could have Hinkie'd him.
What is a blancote meme?

Rudy trade at the deadline could clear us out of the luxury and start a new path for the team. I don't know what to think, but this HW signing really is strange to me.
Seems to me to be more so an insurance policy in case Udoka isn't ready to play and also gives us depth.

Whiteside is 32 years old, definitely not the long-term answer at C. But he fits a similar mold to what Rudy does, he's 7'0" with a 7'7" wingspan, rebounds at a high level, and is one of the better shot blockers in the league.

Last season he averaged 8 points, 6 boards, and 1.5 blocks in 15 mpg off the bench for the Kings. The previous year he averaged 16 points, 14 rebounds, and 3 blocks as a starter for the Blazers.

I really like what this says about what the players think about the Jazz.

Whiteside has talent and is an NBA player. Rudy Gay has had an excellent career and is a boon for any team.

To me, I feel this shows a change in how the league looks at Utah.

Last edited:
Seems like Jazz with three 7 footers are committed to 48 minutes of rim protection
Jazz may not try to adjust to the 5 out lineups
Not sure what this means

Now people can gossip about the Gobert/Whiteside feud and leave the DM and Rudy do not get along fairy tale alone.