What's new

Jazz Sign Rudy Gay

If Butler pops, Jazz should offer the full TPMLE next year for as many years as he will take it for.

Yeah I been saying this. If he pops we still match and keep him so that’s the good news. We save a bunch in tax… but it’s obviously not ideal. While I love him… who knows maybe he is just okay or can’t stay healthy. I would have passed on the second rounders and taken the guaranteed deal.
If he pops, all a team has to do a offer him more than the MLE. Or what am I missing here?

I’d like to see Butler play a few games before I anoint him anything.

I am super excited about him, BTW.
Sure, but in contrast to most rookie situations, the Jazz lose team control very quickly if he’s what’s been advertised.

If he’s that good, it’s really, really important that he’s kept. It always would be, but right now, he’s the only thing remotely resembling a candidate that can be worth a **** in 2-3 years that is Donovan’s age or younger.

I'm sad there won't be Gay-Favors. But Gay at 12.1M for two years is nice. We have more depth. I know Gay used to be a good defender - hopefully he still is.

If he pops, all a team has to do a offer him more than the MLE. Or what am I missing here?
No… the arenas rules are complex but assuming we don’t have space we could offer him the average nba salary. It could be like 4/60m in 2 years. It’s what Toronto did with Powell back in the day and Miami did it with Richardson. It’s what Sacramento is using to keep Holmes. It’s based on cap stuff but I’d say if he’s worth more than that after 2 years then we are in amazing shape… and we’d figure out a way to clear some space maybe.

I'm sad there won't be Gay-Favors. But Gay at 12.1M for two years is nice. We have more depth. I know Gay used to be a good defender - hopefully he still is.
Hey we are halfway to Gay Love if Kevin Love gets bought out we will make it happen.

If the Jazz sign another perimeter defender I won’t have **** to complain about… gonna be pretty quiet from me I guess…

Color me very, very skeptical on Quin running small ball 5. We’ll see but I’m skeptical.
I am with you buuuuuuut we’ve never had anyone as well equipped to do that as we do now. I believe he tried to do it with Green for like a half once… we shall see… even Bud started making adjustments so who knows.

So to run a small ball 5 we now just need to fill positions 1-4 with people who can stay in front of their man?

If Quin isn't ready to change up his routine after BACK TO BACK all-time collapses that were mostly a result of him sticking to the routine, there is no hope and I believe the organization will can his *** if he pulls that garbage again.

In other words, I have hope Quin is convinced it's time to build in some flexibility. Especially since his mentor just won a ring in no small part due to him learning to build in some flex on the Bucks.

I am with you buuuuuuut we’ve never had anyone as well equipped to do that as we do now. I believe he tried to do it with Green for like a half once… we shall see… even Bud started making adjustments so who knows.
Gobert and Davis were injured and TB had played like 20 career minutes up to that point and couldn’t play all 48.

Gobert and Davis were injured and TB had played like 20 career minutes up to that point and couldn’t play all 48.
I don’t need details or facts… I prefer blind optimism thanks.

Let's be clear here, going small does nothing against a 5out lineup if you can't stay in front of the ball and you have no rotations. We could have had prime Draymond Green against LAC and we're still getting absolutely slaughtered because we got cooked on the ball and everyone else was a statue besides Gobert.

Playoff defense isn't about going big or small, it's about being connected on a string and covering space. You're going to have to send help on the ball in some way or another, it's inevitable. Clippers had multiple All Defense perimeter defenders and still had to send double teams against Mitchell. What matters is your ability to recover after you send help.

It's up to Quin to instill the defense principles to help and recover. Gobert is the best ever at defending 2v1 in the PnR, but there is no one on the planet that can cover the rim and the corner 3 at the same time while his teammates stand around.

I do believe in Gay's ability to defend bigs and multiple positions, but the only thing saving this defense is a collective effort and that has to start with Quin. If we continue the swiss cheese, no help defense we are setting ourselves up for another historic defensive collapse.