What's new

Jazz Sign Rudy Gay

He played as if he decided he didn’t want to be here, he was good in the beginning, but as time went on, he was a little bitch, had bad body language and there was no fight in his play or hustle. He had to go.
Same thing could be said about Conley when he first started here. We literally swapped out half of the team that season and we were collectively trying to figure things out as a group. Quin loved Jeff. 20min a night and played every game. Niang were DNP-CDed in favor of Jeff.

I think the Lakers are holding out for Danny Green is probably the most likely scenario. Hopefully he face-pushes them.

I don't love it. I think he's a decent defender who can play some 5, but what does small ball 5 actually do for us on defense? Switch everything, but instead of giving up a wide open 3 we give up a layup instead? He's ok and probably and upgrade over Niang defensively...but he's not spring chicken who's going to stay in front of guys.

Offensively he is not the player we need. He's a plus usage player who shoots a lot of mid range jumpers. If we needed shot creation that would be one thing, but we have a large surplus of that. We already have one too many guys who want to shoot/handle the ball. So I'm not sure how that's going to work out. Is Gay going to be a standstill shooter, or is he going to take shots from others? Something has got to give there.

He's also going to be 35 and coming off a 53% TS season. Defensively he is decent, but that has never been the reason why you acquire Rudy Gay. Gay is an iso scorer who can get his shot off any time in the mid range and I just don't think that's what this team needs.

From what I can tell the roster is now

Conley-Butler
Mitchell-Clarkson
Bogie-Ingles
Royce-Gay
Rudy-Udoka

end of bench, I think:
Oni (not sure if this year is guaranteed yet)
Brantley
Hughes

That makes 13. I’d say grab Frankie Smokes and a backup C on a minimum, then we’re set.

Conley-Bridges
Mitchell-Clarkson
Bogie-Ingles
Royce-Gay
Rudy-Udoka

end of bench, I think:
Brantley
Hughes

That makes 13. I’d say grab Frankie Smokes and a backup C on a minimum, then we’re set.
Bridges? Who's Bridges? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Same thing could be said about Conley when he first started here. We literally swapped out half of the team that season and we were collectively trying to figure things out as a group. Quin loved Jeff. 20min a night and played every game. Niang were DNP-CDed in favor of Jeff.
I would call that a slump, and struggling to figure out his roll, he played much better the second half when healthy. Never saw issues of not giving effort.

He's a good defender and rebounder at the 4. I'm not a believer in him as a stretch-5. I think he plays 15 - 20 minutes per night, or a bit more if matchups call for it.

Conley-Bridges
Mitchell-Clarkson
Bogie-Ingles
Royce-Gay
Rudy-Udoka

end of bench, I think:
Brantley
Hughes

Grab James Ennis or Justice Winslow, Ntikilina, and Jock Landale. Win title.

What a great pick up for the Jazz. They were targeting two players for their TPMLE and they got one of them, great work by the front office. The Jazz have had a very successful offseason in my book, re-signed Conley and added Butler and Gay. I would love to see them make a couple of good vet minimum signings and call it an offseason. No need to trade Ingles, if our championship window is now then he helps us far more next season than guy's like Moody or Paschall would.

Signing Gay should take some pressure off Butler to come in and be the savior
Butler will have some go to guys on the floor with JC Joe and Gay

Despite OPJ being a better theoretical fit, I think, this is a far better bet given the two players' respective injury history.

Maybe OPJ moved on from us once again because we were still pursuing our first choice?

Love it. I honestly expected absolutely nothing for the rest of this offseason, and he is a good vet who fits the team nicely.

A legit stretch 5 would be a nice tool to have in the belt. Would be a hedge on if Doke ain’t cutting it, too.

Time to try to rectify the mistake of leaving Bjelica in the cold three years ago.

bJelly signed with the Dubs. What stretch 5’s are out there?