What's new

Jazz To sign William Howard

My guess is neither. Both go to the Stars, maybe a two way.
I’m still betting on Oni to make the roster... but that’s based purely on the intrigue of seeing him fit as a 3-D peg in a 3-D hole.

EDIT: should’ve refreshed the main page before posting this. Oni!

Last edited:
I'd rather make the long term play and hope one of these three guys become a cheap contributor. Maybe not even as big as Royce... more along the lines of a healthy Neto maybe. I don't know that we have another big move planned. I'd rather have the long term value that one of these guys could bring and I'm not sure we can nab a Livingston and just sit them every night and have them be happy about that.

Even if one of these guys flashes when we have an injury it could really help us in trades because they'd have some value. We don't have the draft capital to really sweeten a deal right now.

This is one area the Jazz have consistently done really well on... and I am not going to question their talent evaluation. There would be no issue cutting any three of these guys if something good came on the waiver wire. Already over the cap... likely these deals are limited on guaranteed money for 2020 (maybe 2019 too).
Would Old-School rep the **** outta this.

Just watched a couple of games. I like what I see.

Nothing really pops out, but I do think he has the athleticism, size/length, feel, awareness, and skills to have a shot as a role player in the NBA (I worry about NWG's athleticism, by contrast -- I think NWG will have an uphill battle). Good ball mover, got his hands on a lot of balls as a defender, seems to have a quick, easy shot. Seems to be an adequate dribbler, but I don't see him creating much off the dribble. 3&D type. As with so many others, I think his fate will come down to whether he can continue to hit/improve on his shot and whether his motor, IQ, and reactions stand up to the big step up to the NBA -- somewhat like a 6-8 Oni in this regard.

Edit: Compared to what I saw from George King or Stanton Kidd in summer league, I see more potential with Howard.

Last edited:
SLC Dunk found that Howard went to HS in Maryland, and had been committed to U. of Washington before deciding to play in France instead. Here's a couple of long excerpts from Draft Express 8 years ago (as Howard was getting ready to come out of high school):

A player we've covered in a good amount of detail over the past two years in our excursions through Europe, it was interesting to be able to evaluate William Howard (Unranked ESPN, Scout, Rivals) in a completely new setting. Having grown at least an inch since we last saw him, now standing a legitimate 6-8, Howard has excellent size for the small forward position, even if he sees most of his time at the 4 on the prep school team he plays for. His frame is filling out nicely and he made a couple of very nice plays with his above average athleticism, indicating he should have no problem whatsoever fitting in at the highest levels of college basketball from a physical standpoint. Howard also showed flashes of a well-rounded skill-level, rarely forcing the issue but making a very nice impact in different facets of the game. He made a number of jumpers from beyond the arc, showing good range and the ability to make shots with both his feet set and off the dribble. He also made his presence felt as a rebounder, crashing the glass intently on either end of the floor. He has the ball skills to start the break on his own, and can beat his man off the dribble in a straight line if the opportunity calls for it. Very mature for a player his age, he does not turn the ball over very often, usually letting the game come to him, sometimes to a fault. With his size, long arms and solid frame, Howard is capable of defending either forward position at the NCAA level. He lacks a degree of lateral quickness on the wing and some strength/toughness to contain more physically developed post players, but should be able to hold his own against the large majority of players he matches up against. Howard may not have the explosive athleticism scouts look for in top shelf NBA prospects, but with his versatility there is no reason he shouldn't be able to play an immediate role at virtually any level of college basketball. Washington is reportedly in the lead at this point, and it's not difficult to see him fitting into style of basketball Lorenzo Romar likes to play. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/William-Howard-6127/ ©DraftExpress

Possibly the most complete guard seen in Belgrade, William Howard did a great job of showing his excellent all-around game and helping his team make the finals, drawing some comparisons to Thabo Sefolosha in the process. A skinny 6-4 shooting guard with average athleticism, Howard is an extremely smooth guard who plays the game with great elegance. He can create his own shot going in either direction, even if his ball-handling skills still need work, and needs to get stronger and tougher finishing around the basket to compensate for his just-average physical tools. The most impressive thing about Howard might be the basketball IQ he shows, always respecting his team's spacing in the half-court, moving off the ball intelligently, and being extremely unselfish looking for the open man, while never forcing a thing. He has a very nice pull-up jumper that he loves to get off from mid-range, not showing great elevation creating separation from his defender, but nonetheless being very effective with it. He also has outstanding range on his jump-shot, connecting on some long-range bombs from well outside the 3-point line. Defensively, Howard is excellent, showing great timing coming up with blocks and steals, and putting a very good effort in as well. He needs to get stronger as mentioned, but shows very nice potential in this area, especially if he grows a bit more. Howard seemed to disappear completely in the championship game, which was a bit disappointing. He's a very young player, though, so it's obviously not the end of the world. According to the reports we received, Howard is supposedly very interested in playing college basketball, as his father is American. He would probably be considered a very good high school prospect if he played on this side of the ocean, similar to Illinois' D.J. Richardson. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/William-Howard-6127/ ©DraftExpress

SLC Dunk found that Howard went to HS in Maryland, and had been committed to U. of Washington before deciding to play in France instead. Here's a couple of long excerpts from Draft Express 8 years ago (as Howard was getting ready to come out of high school):

A player we've covered in a good amount of detail over the past two years in our excursions through Europe, it was interesting to be able to evaluate William Howard (Unranked ESPN, Scout, Rivals) in a completely new setting. Having grown at least an inch since we last saw him, now standing a legitimate 6-8, Howard has excellent size for the small forward position, even if he sees most of his time at the 4 on the prep school team he plays for. His frame is filling out nicely and he made a couple of very nice plays with his above average athleticism, indicating he should have no problem whatsoever fitting in at the highest levels of college basketball from a physical standpoint. Howard also showed flashes of a well-rounded skill-level, rarely forcing the issue but making a very nice impact in different facets of the game. He made a number of jumpers from beyond the arc, showing good range and the ability to make shots with both his feet set and off the dribble. He also made his presence felt as a rebounder, crashing the glass intently on either end of the floor. He has the ball skills to start the break on his own, and can beat his man off the dribble in a straight line if the opportunity calls for it. Very mature for a player his age, he does not turn the ball over very often, usually letting the game come to him, sometimes to a fault. With his size, long arms and solid frame, Howard is capable of defending either forward position at the NCAA level. He lacks a degree of lateral quickness on the wing and some strength/toughness to contain more physically developed post players, but should be able to hold his own against the large majority of players he matches up against. Howard may not have the explosive athleticism scouts look for in top shelf NBA prospects, but with his versatility there is no reason he shouldn't be able to play an immediate role at virtually any level of college basketball. Washington is reportedly in the lead at this point, and it's not difficult to see him fitting into style of basketball Lorenzo Romar likes to play. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/William-Howard-6127/ ©DraftExpress

Possibly the most complete guard seen in Belgrade, William Howard did a great job of showing his excellent all-around game and helping his team make the finals, drawing some comparisons to Thabo Sefolosha in the process. A skinny 6-4 shooting guard with average athleticism, Howard is an extremely smooth guard who plays the game with great elegance. He can create his own shot going in either direction, even if his ball-handling skills still need work, and needs to get stronger and tougher finishing around the basket to compensate for his just-average physical tools. The most impressive thing about Howard might be the basketball IQ he shows, always respecting his team's spacing in the half-court, moving off the ball intelligently, and being extremely unselfish looking for the open man, while never forcing a thing. He has a very nice pull-up jumper that he loves to get off from mid-range, not showing great elevation creating separation from his defender, but nonetheless being very effective with it. He also has outstanding range on his jump-shot, connecting on some long-range bombs from well outside the 3-point line. Defensively, Howard is excellent, showing great timing coming up with blocks and steals, and putting a very good effort in as well. He needs to get stronger as mentioned, but shows very nice potential in this area, especially if he grows a bit more. Howard seemed to disappear completely in the championship game, which was a bit disappointing. He's a very young player, though, so it's obviously not the end of the world. According to the reports we received, Howard is supposedly very interested in playing college basketball, as his father is American. He would probably be considered a very good high school prospect if he played on this side of the ocean, similar to Illinois' D.J. Richardson. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/William-Howard-6127/ ©DraftExpress
Nice find.

Just watched a couple of games. I like what I see.

Nothing really pops out, but I do think he has the athleticism, size/length, feel, awareness, and skills to have a shot as a role player in the NBA (I worry about NWG's athleticism, by contrast -- I think NWG will have an uphill battle). Good ball mover, got his hands on a lot of balls as a defender, seems to have a quick, easy shot. Seems to be an adequate dribbler, but I don't see him creating much off the dribble. 3&D type. As with so many others, I think his fate will come down to whether he can continue to hit/improve on his shot and whether his motor, IQ, and reactions stand up to the big step up to the NBA -- somewhat like a 6-8 Oni in this regard.

Edit: Compared to what I saw from George King or Stanton Kidd in summer league, I see more potential with Howard.
I'm surprised that the front office did not like King.

With the Jazz development team and history of player improvement I expect at least one of Oni, Brantley, Williams-Goss or Howard to “hit”. To be our next O’Neale.

I really like this improved side of the Jazz. Continuing to find and develop young, cheap talent. Helps being a deep championship caliber team easier.

Wiki said he did not score high enough on the English portion of the entrance exam to get into Washington.

Yeah. Knowing nothing about the situation, I'd guess his conversational English is plenty fine for finding a place in the NBA, but that his formal test-taking English lagged behind because of his upbringing in France.

So, does he have a fully guaranteed first year?

Not that I've heard. (The things that I've heard lead me to suspect it's not fully guaranteed and/or that the Jazz would be willing to eat some guaranteed money, regardless, if it turns out he's beaten out for a spot on the roster.)