What's new

Jazz trade Devin Harris to Atlanta for Marvin Williams (merged)

If we could just get 99 players on the team, all named "Williams" my old #8 jersey would finally be relevant again! Do this now, KOC!

I've never seen Williams play where he didn't basically look invisible. But I can't say it's a terrible move, either. Anything that prevents a starting unit of Harris/Mo has to be considered, though I don't like being married to Williams for 2 years.

I'm on board. They're going to lose Hinrich (I know they still have Teague), and they're desperate to shed some salary.

With his length I like the idea of him and Hayward defending the perimeter.
Yep, Hinrich has agreed to a deal with Chicago and Johnson is all but gone. Atlanta needs some production in the back court and Harris is a good fit with an uptempo team. Deal would make sense for both teams so maybe the idea/rumor has legs. If it is true and was somehow leaked by someone in the Jazz organization, I pity the person once KOC gets through with him.

I've never seen Williams play where he didn't basically look invisible. But I can't say it's a terrible move, either. Anything that prevents a starting unit of Harris/Mo has to be considered, though I don't like being married to Williams for 2 years.

Weren't there times where you wished CJ was invisible?

If we could just get 99 players on the team, all named "Williams" my old #8 jersey would finally be relevant again! Do this now, KOC!

I'd settle for any Williams wearing #8, whether it be Mo, or Marvin, or anyone else.

If this move is made, KOC just turned the #3 pick of the 2005 draft into the #2 pick of '05 and the #3 pick in each of the '10 and '11 drafts, along with whatever happens with the Golden State pick!

That's maximizing value right there if you overlook the fact that Marvin Williams sucks.

Like the trade. Marvin could play SF here, since Corbin likes to go big anyways. We really need a wing player, preferably a true SF, but a SF/PF will work.

Yet he's had pretty solid numbers. Perhaps he looks invisible because he's always been the 3rd or 4th option. Nothing wrong with that. And who knows...he could get more touches in Utah? Trade away Jefferson and we have no ball hogs. There could be several players in the 10-18 pt range next year: Favors, Hayward, Mo, Burks, Marvin, Millsap.

Do we want to sign Marvin Williams after this season to a long-term deal? No because he's mediocre at best and a waste of cap space IMO. We should only use Harris/Millsap/Jefferson for players that will make us better in the future because adding Marvin Williams for Harris isn't going to make us contend

I'm sure Reggie can be picked up from the Bobcats for a future 2nd, as can Sean from Boston. Getting Derrick might be a bit trickier; it's not like we can stamp a "Return to Sender" on Big Al's forehead.

Do we want to sign Marvin Williams after this season to a long-term deal? No because he's mediocre at best and a waste of cap space IMO. We should only use Harris/Millsap/Jefferson for players that will make us better in the future because adding Marvin Williams for Harris isn't going to make us contend
Mediocre at best? He's a solid player. No, he never lived up to his draft position. But he's developed a pretty good shot (39% on his 3's last season) and is a decent rebounder at his position. He's also been the 4th option for a good part of his career and hasn't complained about lack of touches or being moved to a 6th-man role.

Marvin makes us better (or do you believe Carroll or J. Howard is the answer as the 3rd player in the wing rotation?). We'll have him for 2 years, as I don't see him not exercising his PO. And that's perfect, IMO. He either likes it here, is a good fit and re-signs. Or worst case, we trade his expiring contract. Or maybe we just see him as a "stop-gap." He gives us two years while we draft and develop a young SF to take his place and then his salary comes off the books when we have to start spending money to extend Favors, Hayward, etc.

KOC is doing exactly what he should...looking to trade assets for assets (without letting them expire) but not taking on bad, long-term contracts.

Wonder if this will affect the trade?

Per David Aldridge twitter minutes ago: Breaking: Nets "very close" to acquiring Joe Johnson from Hawks for Farmar, Petro, Morrow, Williams, Stevenson and protected pick (Houston).

And per Nets beat writer Stefan Bondy twitter minutes ago: "League source confirms the Nets have all but finalized deal for Joe Johnson. Wow."

This is a fair trade in which I think the Jazz would receive better value incoming. Like someone mentioned, if we can unload Bell in the process, this trade looks even better.

Well, we can shoot this trade down.

Per David Aldridge twitter minutes ago: Breaking: Nets "very close" to acquiring Joe Johnson from Hawks for Farmar, Petro, Morrow, Williams, Stevenson and protected pick (Houston).

And per Nets beat writer Stefan Bondy twitter minutes ago: "League source confirms the Nets have all but finalized deal for Joe Johnson. Wow."

So, no Williams. Meh.

Where are you getting this trade having anything to do with that trade?

Well, we can shoot this trade down.

So, no Williams. Meh.

Didn't have to give up Marshon Brooks.... wow!!

Where are you getting this trade having anything to do with that trade?

Brain fart on my part. Nets giving up Williams. For some reason I just saw Williams and assumed it was Marvin. I edited my initial post.