What's new

Jazz trade Fonteccio to Pistons for 2024 2nd

This is true but it is extremely less sad than millions of other things happening to people every day

If I went home and told my wife that we have to move to Detroit and make 10's of millions of dollars over the next few years playing basketball then she and I would be the opposite of sad

It's not THAT sad

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Right? In a few years you can live wherever you want and never have to worry about money.

Also one more thing came to mind. If this is the only trade we make and they made it to clear way for the rookies...

Then its a good question to ask if this was less of a downgrade than sending out KO for supposedly equal compensation?

At least I think Hendricks fills Simones role better than KOs.

Buuuuut... if we also trade out KO then this is a moot point.

Well he's like the 6th or 7th best player and his projected replacement has been hot trash for a couple months.... so yeah its not great.
We like to say how these guys are human and not robots and how things like trade deadline stuff can effect how guys play.
Maybe Ochai play has been affected by his lack of playing time and coach not believing in him and not have a consistent role.

He is still a guy with great size and athleticism who was the big 12 player of the year and still young.

I wouldn't be shocked if he plays better with a bigger and more consistent role

H
We like to say how these guys are human and not robots and how things like trade deadline stuff can effect how guys play.
Maybe Ochai play has been affected by his lack of playing time and coach not believing in him and not have a consistent role.

He is still a guy with great size and athleticism who was the big 12 player of the year and still young.

I wouldn't be shocked if he plays better with a bigger and more consistent role

he Won’t be worse. I agree that he might get a boost of confidence. I also think when you are pressing low minutes is hard. It will almost surely be a big step down though. And I am Ochais number one hater so need to defend my territory.

H

he Won’t be worse. I agree that he might get a boost of confidence. I also think when you are pressing low minutes is hard. It will almost surely be a big step down though. And I am Ochais number one hater so need to defend my territory.
If the stakes are no longer there he can't get better. Currently he's getting worse by the week so idk if we are at the bottom yet

Simone has been in the closing lineup in all of 11 games this year, shooting 25/22/0 in clutch minutes.

I hate arguing this though as I did like the guy.... but go find a paper bag.
That’s uhh.. not great. But yeah he definitely is the 3rd most important player on this team if you like squint really hard and forget about a couple of guys.

So not sure if this has been posted but remember that Tech was second round stash and grab too. This Procida looks like a poor man’s version of Tech and apparently played along side him in World Cup.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=znpCl8atTwI&pp=QAFIAQ%3D%3D

So we got Knox as a security net for Hendrix through the rest of the season, a second rounder and the rights to this stud in the making. I’m calling this another A+ fleece job by DA. And hopefully it’s as good for Tech as well.

Pelton:

Utah Jazz grade: B+
For the most part, this looks like pragmatism on the part of Utah CEO of basketball operations Danny Ainge, who has operated patiently since taking control of the Jazz. Given Fontecchio was an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2022, getting an early second-round pick in return is a huge win.

Pelton:

Due to his combination of size and skill, Fontecchio had become a crucial player for the Jazz. Lineups with Fontecchio at small forward had played just about even over the course of the season (minus-0.5 net rating), per my analysis of lineup data from NBA Advanced Stats -- easily the best mark of any Utah player who's seen more than 50 minutes of action at small forward.

Barring another trade before the deadline, this looks like a second straight year a Jazz team in play-in contention will take a step back.

In other words, **** this ****.

I'm a bit surprised by the consensus reaction, I like this trade for us. Not sure I get it from Detroit's perspective.

Simone is a good players and could be a "piece" on a contending team, but we are nowhere near that. DA clearly remains laser-focused on acquiring assets with future value to go out and get the franchise cornerstones when the time is right. Obviously we're trying to win come tipoff time, but it's pretty damn obvious the FO has not been trying to win from a roster construction standpoint the last 24 months. If we move JC, Sexton (we shouldn't), KO, etc. nobody should be expecting "win now" pieces in return.

The 2nd this year from Detroit is valuable. It's essentially a late first, has more near-term value than a heavily protected FRP that won't convey for 2+ years (if ever), and puts us in a great spot to trade into the late first if there's someone we are targeting in that range come draft night.

And I suppose I'm higher on Knox than most - the raw material is still there, he's just been on bad, bad teams. Hardy can clearly get the most out of players with good size, length, and shooting ability. It wasn't long ago that Lauri was also massively wasted.

I'm a bit surprised by the consensus reaction, I like this trade for us. Not sure I get it from Detroit's perspective.

Simone is a good players and could be a "piece" on a contending team, but we are nowhere near that. DA clearly remains laser-focused on acquiring assets with future value to go out and get the franchise cornerstones when the time is right. Obviously we're trying to win come tipoff time, but it's pretty damn obvious the FO has not been trying to win from a roster construction standpoint the last 24 months. If we move JC, Sexton (we shouldn't), KO, etc. nobody should be expecting "win now" pieces in return.

The 2nd this year from Detroit is valuable. It's essentially a late first, has more near-term value than a heavily protected FRP that won't convey for 2+ years (if ever), and puts us in a great spot to trade into the late first if there's someone we are targeting in that range come draft night.

And I suppose I'm higher on Knox than most - the raw material is still there, he's just been on bad, bad teams. Hardy can clearly get the most out of players with good size, length, and shooting ability. It wasn't long ago that Lauri was also massively wasted.
Knox ain't it. He's just a throw in.