What's new

Jazz trade for John Collins

Lauri's glow up was awesome... something like that may not happen again... I would not be chasing Lauri 2.0 glow up on guys.

Not sure that is the idea here but if it is... not a big fan.

Has Collins ever had a real coach outside of Quin last year? Like, someone who would help him develop?

I know what I said and stand by it but you’re being too literal. The general point is we are going to be a playoff caliber team or thereabouts which will give us hope but clearly have a ceiling that is not remotely that of a contender. It’s settling. Imo.

Maybe Collins will prove me wrong. Maybe he’s never had a real coach until Quin and Hardy will get a lot out of him. Idk. But this contract, while not awful, definitely restricts us going forward.
What are you talking about? This contract does the opposite of restrict us. Either Collins proves himself to be a quintessential piece that's worthy of his contract, or he becomes the contract to make the math work when we cough up a bunch of our picks to acquire a superstar. The only thing on our books are moderate contracts and rookie contracts. The only one getting paid soon-ish is Lauri. We're good to go even if Collins is the 'fine' version. If he's the "great" version - well, that just gives us even more options.

I would much rather pay JC than Kuzma
Eh. If the contracts are equal, I’d prefer Kuzma - mainly because I think he has more positional versatility than Collins does. I do think that I’d rather have 25 year old John Collins on 3-$78 vs 28 year old Kyle Kuzma on 4-$100+ (which I think he’s likely to get.

Collins likely fills the role that Vanderbilt had last season. I’m good with that. It’s a buy low, value rehab bet. The salary is high, but I think the Jazz are going to start putting together some mid-sized contracts to have some options available when they go to make a consolidation trade this year or next.

Last edited:
Speaking of Lauri, taking this deal eats into basically all of the flexibility the Jazz would've had before doing the renegotiate and extend the following year.

In other words, this is pretty much it now for building in the next two years. I don't think they flip Collins for at least another season and a half.
Only if they were planning to sign players to max deals in FA this or next off season. Even if we R&E Lauri to the max for 24/25, him, Collins and Sexton would only take half of the cap combined. We are still very fine financially and have a lot of flexibility.

How is he defensively?
There's this tendency to be cool and just watch dude's moving around him... but hey he's got the tools... or so they say as if the tools were good for someone laying at the toolbox.
At some point as a good fan I will decide to have faith that the change of scenery and bla bla bla...

Only if they were planning to sign players to max deals in FA this or next off season. Even if we R&E Lauri to the max for 24/25, him, Collins and Sexton would only take half of the cap combined. We are still very fine financially and have a lot of flexibility.
If the argument is just salary fodder that is really easy to come by. You either get a guy and get second rounders or you can sign guys to 1+1 deals in FA at one year bloated prices. In star trades the expiring deal likely has more value than the longer deal attached to an okay player. Can also split up the asset a bit and sell mutiple times.

We have loads of flexibility so it is fine. Flexibility does tend to go quick though... so hopefully this was a good bet.

Has Collins ever had a real coach outside of Quin last year? Like, someone who would help him develop?
Yeah... I mean there are definitely reasons for optimism on him. Coaching, trae, role, finger, etc.

It's funny to me people dislike this trade when they loved the Hendricks pick

Collins is the more talented version of Hendricks.
Not last year's version of Collins. Go agreed and pull the stats. Hendricks are better I guarantee it

I’m not scared of contracts like these. The Warriors just attached a first with Poole and got back expiring salary. It’s not hard to get rid of as the worst case scenario. He will be an expiring in two years if it doesn’t work out.

He's a much better and more promising asset than Rudy Gay is- thats for sure.
Folks here that want to sign Kuz for 30M a year should see this as a discount
Agreed. They needed to spend some of that capspace to get to the salary floor. The FA options this summer were a bit underwhelming.

They've done a great job rehabbing these types of guys the past few seasons. I can see why they are taking the chance here. It's another Danny Ainge discount special. He's been pretty good plucking these types of players off the bargain bin going back to Isiah Thomas when he was still in Boston.