What's new

Jazz trade for John Collins

If the argument is just salary fodder that is really easy to come by. You either get a guy and get second rounders or you can sign guys to 1+1 deals in FA at one year bloated prices. In star trades the expiring deal likely has more value than the longer deal attached to an okay player. Can also split up the asset a bit and sell mutiple times.

We have loads of flexibility so it is fine. Flexibility does tend to go quick though... so hopefully this was a good bet.
Yes, we could absolutely give Clarkson a huge 1+1 deal to have a human trade exception. Now we don't need to do that and I think we are in a good spot.

Some one give me the TLDR summary... I will pay you with a like or a love depending on quality tia.
Says it's a boutonniere deformity. Basically the central tendon is ruptured at the joint that's swollen shown in the pic. He could no longer extend that joint fully without putting it in a brace for an extended period of time. The longer the rehab is put off, the harder it is to heal correctly

Some one give me the TLDR summary... I will pay you with a like or a love depending on quality tia.
It's most likely what's called a Boutenniere deformity* which means he shouldn't have played on it. It appears that he didn't. This is all from March 2022.

*Likely tore the tendon atop his ring finger's joint most proximal to the hand (1st joint past the knuckle), as seen as the epicenter of the swelling in the photo. There are tendons that normally flank the joint laterally but when the tendon atop the joint tears, those lateral tendons slip down and snap the further joint closer to the hand. You have to brace the finger flat to have a chance at healing that top tendon, and if you don't get to it, then lateral tendons continue to tighten and worsen the condition.

View: https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1673397129522323479

Let's talk opportunity cost for a second. Who are the desirable FA's this trade will cause us to miss out on that we could have otherwise signed?

I mean opportunity costs can be infinite and are all extremely hypothetical. Doesn't mean they aren't real. It might be getting draft assets in a salary dump or signing a big FA... it also isn't just this year... its multiple years. There is a small chance it will hinder development from Hendricks... maybe it helps him see what he can be in this role?

It's most likely what's called a Boutenniere deformity* which means he shouldn't have played on it. It appears that he didn't. This is all from March 2022.

*Likely tore the ligament atop his ring finger's joint most proximal to the hand (1st joint past the knuckle), as seen as the epicenter of the swelling in the photo. There are tendons that normally flank the joint laterally but when the tendon atop the joint tears, those lateral tendons slip down and snap the further joint closer to the hand. You have to brace the finger flat to have a chance at healing that top tendon, and if you don't get to it, then lateral tendons continue to tighten and worsen the condition.
Fine... chop that **** off then if it ain't right.

Those of you who are worried about this taking minutes from Hendricks are far more optimistic about his NBA readiness than I am. He might be a rookie surprise but it is more likely that he is a spot minute guy who, IF he develops, is a year or two away. I think Collins has a real chance to get back to his former self in Utah and this could be a very good trade for us.

Yes, we could absolutely give Clarkson a huge 1+1 deal to have a human trade exception. Now we don't need to do that and I think we are in a good spot.
Does not have to be JC... could have been Harrison Barnes or a combo of Josh Richardson and another guy. Not like its the end of the world but those guys can net assets at the trade deadline (might be meh assets) and at very worst they expire at the end of the year and you can use that space again.

Maybe the opportunity cost nets out to be like 10 2nd round picks and average nba production... and maybe Collins gets you more than that on the court or in trade.

I'm fine with the deal... though I wanted to get more... I see both sides of this. Trust DA/JZ knew the best options out there and made their bet accordingly.

Peeps were saying this kind of **** about Lauri last summer. I believe in DA ability to spot a reclamation project. Hardy will get the most out of him, I'm sure.
Collins was born in Layton Utah a half hour from Jazzville, He is coming back to where he was born,

sup dudes. Happy to see that some of the board's best are still here. Lost access to my old account, but wanted to pop in a few times this summer and get your takes about a few things.

(1) Our front court is pretty stacked and match-up proof at this point. (2) Off ball, we should have plenty of screening and secondary playmaking from the advantages that we create there. I like what I see in (1) and (2), but I think we'll really struggle without a primary playmaker to orchestrate. I moaned when we acquired Conley (price, age, etc.), but he'd be perfect for this team at this stage. Lowry (plus some draft capital) would be a great get.

You CANNOT rely on those type of developments with every single player you trade for. This is NOT sustainable.

The Jazz didn't do that trade for Lauri Markkanen. They did it mainly for the picks. Lauri just won most improved NBA player. Expecting that type of improvement IMO is fool's errand.
Well, except JC is 25 and has done it before. This isn't a development. This is getting him back to his value just a few years ago.