What's new

Jazz trade for John Collins

Every single thing I’ve read from Hawks fans is that he’s a genuinely nice guy and they hope he can return to form with good health, better coaching and a clear role on the team.

My initial feeling was similar to the Bogey/KO trade where I was okay with the player we got, but wished there was an asset coming back. Oh well. Hope the finger heals and he goes right back to 20/10 and lets Hendricks develop without the pressure. I’m feeling optimistic today.

Three major decisions left to make.

1.) JC opt in/out or trade.

2.) THT opt in/out.

3.) Maybe chase a free agent to use the rest of the cap space depending on what happens with #1 and #2.

Last edited:
Hey dude. Likewise! I'm glad you're still here.

Overall, I'm good. Massive career overhaul. In the next few months I'll be moving across the country to the woods of western Massachusetts. We're just about to close a deal on a 19 acre lot and build a house, which has been a dream for 5-6 years now.
Sounds great!. My wife and I have been thinking about an early retirement (still 15 years away) in the mountains. Probably somewhere remote in the Peruvian Andes. A big farm with all kind of rescued animals.

Life in the city (Mexico City now but probably moving to US or Europe next year) is getting a little tiring.

I think Jazz have looked at Collins , similar to what had happened in Lauri’s career , underused , undervalued ect.

That whole offence in Atlanta is Trae chucks 99% of the time , everyone else find your crumbs , no one can flourish in that system .

It’s worth the bet , we gave up nothing for Collins , and gives time for Hendricks to grow .

I like Collins. I really liked him a few years ago and his contract is a bit MEH but the dude can ball.

We have more depth and Collins will look mighty enticing to a team when their PF goes down and they want to still make the playoffs.

And Collins isn't nearly as bad on defense as some people claim. He's capable on defense and I think he can improve.

We're stacked with bigs now and Collins can be a small ball center if needed.

Now it's time to add depth to the 1-3!

My initial expectation was to get more... I think nba cap geeks saw that contract as more toxic than it was I guess. I suppose if Poole's terrible deal gets like one super protected future first then the return on Collins is okay. We shall see what comes next.

Feels risky because this contract could bite us, but at the same time ATL just moved him for barely anything. Maybe they got lucky, but things would have to go horribly wrong for us to not be able to do the same if need be.

This is sort of a weird trade. We burned the #9 pick in the draft and now with this trade we relegate him to the bench for the foreseeable future. So is the plan to play more small ball with Hendo or JC playing the 5? Or are we planning to move someone else via trade?
Exactly. Why does no one else see this? It was redundant. Which tells me that more stuff is probably coming because DA is not as inept as DL. For DL he would have resigned Gay at 3/36 and called it a huge win.

Exactly. And they were all saying that Hendricks is raw. Anyone who doesn’t see this as a win is just crazy…
Umm... not all the Hendricks believes said he's raw... I know one for sure that didn't lol. He is good enough at the things he does well to play a role... I mean as much as any rookie is ready. He's not ready for 30+ minutes on a winner... but its not out of the question by year end that he could be adequate/close maybe. As long as Taylor is picking up 15-20 meaningful minutes per game next year I am good.

What are you talking about? This contract does the opposite of restrict us. Either Collins proves himself to be a quintessential piece that's worthy of his contract, or he becomes the contract to make the math work when we cough up a bunch of our picks to acquire a superstar. The only thing on our books are moderate contracts and rookie contracts. The only one getting paid soon-ish is Lauri. We're good to go even if Collins is the 'fine' version. If he's the "great" version - well, that just gives us even more options.
Exactly!!!!!

Umm... not all the Hendricks believes said he's raw... I know one for sure that didn't lol. He is good enough at the things he does well to play a role... I mean as much as any rookie is ready. He's not ready for 30+ minutes on a winner... but it’s not out of the question by year end that he could be adequate/close maybe. As long as Taylor is picking up 15-20 meaningful minutes per game next year I am good.
He’s 18 years old. He will need time before he can start against men.

Exactly. Why does no one else see this? It was redundant. Which tells me that more stuff is probably coming because DA is not as inept as DL. For DL he would have resigned Gay at 3/36 and called it a huge win.
Lots of us see it. Rookies take time though. If Hendricks is good enough to push JC for playing time that’s an amazing problem to have. Year 2 if it is stunting his growth we maybe do something about it.