What's new

Jazz trade for John Collins

sup dudes. Happy to see that some of the board's best are still here. Lost access to my old account, but wanted to pop in a few times this summer and get your takes about a few things.

(1) Our front court is pretty stacked and match-up proof at this point. (2) Off ball, we should have plenty of screening and secondary playmaking from the advantages that we create there. I like what I see in (1) and (2), but I think we'll really struggle without a primary playmaker to orchestrate. I moaned when we acquired Conley (price, age, etc.), but he'd be perfect for this team at this stage. Lowry (plus some draft capital) would be a great get.
NAOS is BACK!!!

Sup man... hope everything has been great for you irl.

If he stays I think Collins or KO/Hendricks operate as the backup 5... which hopefully means there is at least 15+ minutes for both guys. I think KO may be on the move... but not guaranteed.

I think KO stays, frankly. Jazz are a super young team and need an elder statesman to keep the off-court ship upright. Without Conley, KO is really the only person that can fill that role. Unless you count on Clarkson, with his unclear contract status, but that's a lot of eggs to put into a single basket of a hipster who idolizes Johnny Depp.

I like this trade. Yes, it'll hinder Hendricks development but I'm sure he can play other positions like 3, 4, and 5 if needed.

I started thinking on some... Houston likely needs him more than ever... maybe a three team deal where we can loop in the Wiz to get Tyus Jones? I think we need the ball movement setup man.
Yeah, we're getting a bit thin on passers, particularly if JC opts out. He did a surprising amount of setup last year.

I wonder if the naysayers can find someone who hates this move from our perspective and represents one of the following:
A) National media
B) Jazz beat writers
C) Hawks beat writers
D) Hawks fan base

So far Ive tried searching but weirdly everyone seems to like this trade for us and be sad/neutral for the Hawks having to do this.

Oh and about the opportunity cost and handicapping our cap flexibility... Bobby Marks did a vid where he was high praising our cap and roster flexibility after the trade. Apparently now we have both healthy current/future cap numbers as well as awesome collection of moveable salaries.
It sounds like Collins is a lovely teammate so finding someone to criticize him would be tough. I don't think its like a deal most would criticize because most of the analysis goes - John Collins > Rudy Gay and a 2nd... so WTF Atlanta?

The cap side and opportunity cost is real and I get some scoffing at that cuz its Utah. I see what we are trying to do... I'm okay with it... but wonder if we could have got a smidge more. Will hope it works out obviously.

NAOS is BACK!!!

Sup man... hope everything has been great for you irl.
Glad to see you're still holding down the fort here. I snooped on your posts a few times over the last 1.5 years (or however long it's been). Snooped on several of ya a few times, tbh.

Real life has been a big mixed bag. My post-academia career really heated up in a strange way, which is the reason I had to step away. I'm still in a place where I can't tell if all this work was worth it. Oy.

Collins is good though. I don't see why he can't have a similar breakout season like Lauri. The talent is certainly there. He was just not properly utilized ever since Trae got there.

20+10+2blocks like he did back in 2018/19 and his contract would look like a bargain all of a sudden
All of this. Great post

sup dudes. Happy to see that some of the board's best are still here. Lost access to my old account, but wanted to pop in a few times this summer and get your takes about a few things.

(1) Our front court is pretty stacked and match-up proof at this point. (2) Off ball, we should have plenty of screening and secondary playmaking from the advantages that we create there. I like what I see in (1) and (2), but I think we'll really struggle without a primary playmaker to orchestrate. I moaned when we acquired Conley (price, age, etc.), but he'd be perfect for this team at this stage. Lowry (plus some draft capital) would be a great get.
Hey man. Nice to see you back :)

Is there a scenario where we S&T Clarkson and get Lowry? I think KO could have a valuable role in next year's team, tbh. We need guys with good feel for the game, no matter what position they play. I'd say "feel" is what we lack most.

Yes but Miami would be hard capped so I would have to crunch the numbers on what would get them below the hard cap.

Nice to see you by the way. I was wondering how things were with you. You’re the original inspiration for my username.

This trade shows a lot of confidence in Will Hardy. He is going to have to manage an unusual, but talented, roster while trying to develop rookies. There is likely to be a lot of players looking out for #1, and that will make it hard to play team basketball. All while not having a floor general to keep everything balanced... If we could add John Stockton to this team it would be great, but having it ran by score first PGs might be UGLY.

Yes but Miami would be hard capped so I would have to crunch the numbers on what would get them below the hard cap.

Nice to see you by the way. I was wondering how things were with you. You’re the original inspiration for my username.
good point.

Yeah, "Elizah Huge" was one of the better things to come out of my teasing hatred of Bolerhack. Nice to see you as well. I've noticed you're doing real homework these days. HA. Not 13 years old anymore

If we keep KO, we now have a 4 man rotation for the front court of WK, LM, KO, and Collins. That works great. And again, very few 19 year olds with a skinny frame are ready for the NBA. Give Hendricks a year or two with spot minutes to develop this year. I hope we keep KO.