What's new

Jazz trade for John Collins

Does seem like the price for a first rounder these days is incredibly high or least when it comes to taking on bad salary, so with that in mind the deal isn't too bad.

My favourite part of going after Collins or anyone with experience is making the rookies earn their minutes. Even in the event that they're ready to contribute right away I would rather see them challenged and learn things the right way rather than developing bad habits from the off which is somewhere I think we went wrong with Donovan in the past. I like that from Hardy.

I'm really curious to see what the whole deal with JC is. Still seems wild how far he fell off. You'd think him and Young would be a great duo. You see all the dunk highlights and it's Trae to Collins for these insane alleyoops.
They decided he can't play the 5 defensively when having a complete defensive sieve at the point of attack in Trae so they started searching for a defensive 5(Capela, Okongwu) and moved him to 4 and backup 5. Unfortunately this is the exact role he will likely play for us too and with very similar defensive big, who can't shoot too .... Unless we decide to move Kessler to back up but why the hell would we do that after last year?

Last edited:
JazzFanz never fails to make me laugh. We get a 25 year old uber athletic forward who's got potential to be a 20/10 player for the cadaver of Rudy Gays. What do people do? Throw a tantrum.

When will you gays learn that Illuminati Ainge knows what he's doing? You hated when we got Lauri, you hated when we traded for Westbrick (i did honestly. I miss Vando and Threesley) , and a lot of you hated when we darfted Hendrix and George. We haven't even seen the final product of Ainge's masterpiece play out.

All you need to do is shut up, trust in Ainge and Get ready for an exciting year of basketball.

If JC resigns (Clarkson) and we have added JC (Collins), does that mean we are going for a cryptic "second coming" message?

Is Utah trying to suggest that JC is our type? If so, expect miracles in 2023/2024.
See, this is proof that it's not the real naos back. This post wouldn't fly with him.

Meh. I'll take DA's assessment over some random and anonymous "executive".

It may be pessimistic and a little petty, but it's also true. If Collins can't shoot then what role does he play next to Kessler? Him being worth his contract relies on him being able to shoot with that messed up finger. I'm pretty sure DA is very aware of that and betting/hoping his late season shooting numbers are a sign his shooting was coming around.

I’ve warmed up to this. Immensely. And at the end of the day, I think our future goes as George goes anyway. At least at this point. We don’t have our #1 option on a championship team imo. It could be Lauri I suppose but I don’t see it.

It may be pessimistic and a little petty, but it's also true. If Collins can't shoot then what role does he play next to Kessler? Him being worth his contract relies on him being able to shoot with that messed up finger. I'm pretty sure DA is very aware of that and betting/hoping his late season shooting numbers are a sign his shooting was coming around.
They were after him way before his late season surge. Scouts obviously felt like he was always coming around since we painted the target on him early season and called Atlanta on numerous occasions throughout the year. Price just wasnt right for DA until now.

I think Collins was gonna come and upgrade the stretch 4 over Vando being that specific archtype they wanted. I felt like early season KO was forced there instead of being a point center because Vando was too timid shooting and they had to move him to 5 and KO to 4. Then when Kessler emerged the problem was just emphasized with Vando and Kessler being a non-spacing duo.

I guess they always felt like Collins was an upgrade on that type and scouts probably thought his shooting looks fine despite the finger and he is gonna come around once he gets used to the new reality.

But what everyone here needs to realize they were definitely after Collins specifically all year. It wasnt just any player like that, it was him in particular. We had 2 way and 3 way deals circulating all year. Part of that is probably the discount you get when buying damaged goods, but part of that had to have been something they prioritized for team building perspective. There are other players with baggage and discount but we werent running chasing all of them.

They decided he can't play the 5 defensively when having a complete defensive sieve at the point of attack in Trae so they started searching for a defensive 5(Capela, Okongwu) and moved him to 4 and backup 5. Unfortunately this is the exact role he will likely play for us too and with very similar defensive big, who can't shoot too .... Unless we decide to move Kessler to back up but why the hell would we do that after last year?
Kessler can shoot just fine. We will begin to see him extending his range gradually over the next 2 years until he can also play the stretch big role.

Ainge pulls off the heist of the century by getting John Collins for the shambling corpse of Rudy Gay (while getting off his contract)
Lol this cracks me up every time I see this. We got off Gay’s contract. Let’s see Gay had 1 year and a little over 6 million left on his deal. Collins has 3 years 25 million+. So we traded 6 million for one year for 25+ million over the next three years and he seems to get worse every year. Good luck with that. Maybe he gets better but how much? That finger looks jacked all to hell.
JazzFanz never fails to make me laugh. We get a 25 year old uber athletic forward who's got potential to be a 20/10 player for the cadaver of Rudy Gays. What do people do? Throw a tantrum.
He also has potential to be much worse he put up 20 and 10 three years ago and has steadily declined since. He was a 13 and 6 guy last year making 25 million. I’m not sold he’s going to help this team and he probably won’t until the 3 years is up when we can unload that albatross of a contract. He’s not exactly a winning player to boot. I hope I’m wrong, and will happily eat my crow if wrong. But this deal is a huge risk and I’m nervous as hell it’s going to bite us in the ***.

Kessler can shoot just fine. We will begin to see him extending his range gradually over the next 2 years until he can also play the stretch big role.
His FT% leave a lot to be desired. That said, he displayed some range last year, but nothing consistent. He has a long way to go before he can reliably sink a 3 ball, but I think the ability is there. It's just going to take a lot of work on his end. I think he can do it though.

I think this concern is legitimate, but he also shot pretty well after the break last year, so I wouldn't be overly worried. I'd be more worried about his fit with Kessler. In essence, it's something of a re-hash of the situation he had in Atlanta where Collins was running with Capella. I think a lot of Collins success will hinge on Walker's ability to extend out a bit to midrange. If so, Collins is going to absolutely feast. If not, we'll need to get a bit creative, but I think Hardy can do something with him. Utah added an absolute ton of shooting to the roster and will probably add a bit more before the off-season is over. I think Collins will regain more of his form from previous years (not 20/10, but if so, all the better) with all that spacing.

That said, I don't see much risk here because at worse, we are kicking the can on our cap space while taking pressure off of Hendricks to start immediately. In a year or two, the contract becomes a trade asset (depends if Collins picks up his PO or not) and Hendricks is ready to take over full time and shifting that cap space to Lauri's extension. At best, we get a 20/10 guy who will terrorize folks with Lauri and Kessler for years to come. I consider this a low risk/high reward situation.

I thought this graphic was pretty informative on the risk and upside of getting Collins:

View: https://twitter.com/rgiss11/status/1673401185188073473?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The main difference with is and the Hawks is that I think we can make the Collins at center lineups because we can run out Lauri and Hendricks… they had to play him with a non shooting big at all times cuz they had Capela and Okongwu. So he can run 16-20 minutes a night as a roll man whereas in Atlanta he was sitting in the corner or rotating to the dunker spot like 30+ minutes.

He will spend like 10 minutes a night hanging out in the corner still… is my guess.