What's new

Jazz trade for John Collins

I think Gay would be counted as next season. Regardless, unless some team made more after 2016, the Jazz own the record because of this season. That said, I'm not 100% there.
Which is why I stated "since the end of the 2021-22 season" - if Udoka isn't brought back and Clarkson leaves, the Jazz will have undergone complete roster turnover in a little more than 1 year (Royce was traded on June 30 last year).

I keep hearing that Collins is not good on defense- but his defensive rating is pretty good and here is an excerpt from an article written last year from an analyst who rated him with an A on defense;

**When Collins entered the league, his defense was a cause for concern. That is no longer the case. Despite being undersized, occasionally playing the 5, and always playing cleanup for perimeter players, Collins is reliable on defense.

This season, Collins increased his defensive rebounds, steals, and held steady at one block per game. According to most advanced states, including FiveThirtyEight's RAPTOR rating, only Clint Capela and Delon Wright were better defenders this season.

Collins is capable of playing defense without fouling while still providing adequate rim protection. Couple that with his switchability, and it makes him an integral part of the Hawks' defense.**

I keep hearing that Collins is not good on defense- but his defensive rating is pretty good and here is an excerpt from an article written last year from an analyst who rated him with an A on defense;

**When Collins entered the league, his defense was a cause for concern. That is no longer the case. Despite being undersized, occasionally playing the 5, and always playing cleanup for perimeter players, Collins is reliable on defense.

This season, Collins increased his defensive rebounds, steals, and held steady at one block per game. According to most advanced states, including FiveThirtyEight's RAPTOR rating, only Clint Capela and Delon Wright were better defenders this season.

Collins is capable of playing defense without fouling while still providing adequate rim protection. Couple that with his switchability, and it makes him an integral part of the Hawks' defense.**

He's definitely a decent defender. He was known as a poor defender a few years back, and it sometimes takes time for people's perceptions to catch up.

I like the trade. I think Collins is a good player and we gave up basically nothing. At first it did seem like kind of a roster imbalance, but after I thought about it more I don't think it's actually that bad. We have 5 guys (Lauri, Kessler, Collins, Olynyk, Hendricks) for 3 front court spots. That's 28.8 minutes available for each player. Obviously it won't be split evenly in reality, Lauri in particular will definitely play more, but something like 35 for Lauri, 21 for Hendricks, 30 each for Kessler and Collins and 24 for Olynyk seems pretty reasonable. And those 5 aren't all going to play 82 games.

I don't think Collins's contract is that bad either. On a scale from 0 - 10 where 0 is the worst contract in the NBA and 10 is the best, I would say 3 years/$78 million for Collins is like a 4. He's a little overpaid but you're almost always gonna have a player that's overpaid, and at least he's still a good player, it's not like he's Davis Bertans and you can't even play him while he's overpaid. Plus as others have said, it's potentially helpful to have a large contract if we want to trade for someone on a max.

It's actually 7 trades since the end of the 2021-22 season:
  1. June 30, 2022: Brooklyn - Royce
  2. July 6, 2022: Minnesota - Gobert
  3. August 25, 2022: Lakers - PatBev
  4. September 3, 2022: Cleveland - Donovan
  5. September 22, 2022: Detroit - Bogdanovic
  6. February 9, 2023: Minnesota & Lakers - Conley et al.
  7. Pending: Atlanta - Rudy Gay
Forgot about the Royce trade

JazzFanz never fails to make me laugh. We get a 25 year old uber athletic forward who's got potential to be a 20/10 player for the cadaver of Rudy Gays. What do people do? Throw a tantrum.

When will you gays learn that Illuminati Ainge knows what he's doing? You hated when we got Lauri, you hated when we traded for Westbrick (i did honestly. I miss Vando and Threesley) , and a lot of you hated when we darfted Hendrix and George. We haven't even seen the final product of Ainge's masterpiece play out.

All you need to do is shut up, trust in Ainge and Get ready for an exciting year of basketball.
Can I get an AMEN!

There's nothing I hate worse than unearned minutes for overpaid, whiny vets who only get usage because some genius traded for their huge contracts and the FO needs to pretend the team is getting some return of investment.

This is such a terrible deal that it even shook me out of my offseason stupor. Collins didn't decline because of a "toxic environment" or whatever, he declined because he got caught juicing and then replaced one of his fingers with a potato in an experimental medical procedure.

This isn't fantasy hoops. In real life, chemistry and fit matter, and Collins has to play with four other guys. We all know he'll demand the job of the default screener / roll man so he'll get as many touches as possible and be a lob target. That's the only thing he wants to do. This trade sends Lauri back into the weak side corner and Walker's minutes will drop as he probably needs to be staggered with Collins. Both of these things are far from ideal.

Can I get an AMEN!
in hell smh Collins is not uber athletic anymore lol in fact he isn't close to being the player he once was, which proves his stamina if nothing else was all about the enhancers.
If he can get back to what he was in his first couple seasons through some NBA approved enhancers I would be surprised. ONce he goit busted he has not been the same because he stands to lose a fortune if he is caught again, so he clearly is just not using them and is not the same guy.
Some of you are livin in the past. I am not even mad we did this, I just think he sucks now, and will not be a good player for us at all, so he is just a ltd use bench guy on a overpaid contract for trade matching purposes for the next org that gets hoodwinked he still has it

Not directed at you Thee but lots of people have said he has declined, like it had something to do with his skills declining. Lauri was also declining when we got him.

Collins was working that whole time with possibly the worst offensive mind at HC in Nate McMillan. Everyone knew he was misutilized big time, but since Nate wanted to run guard heavy offense JC was relegated to cold hands catch and shoot only.

Bear in mind he shot 80.3% FT last year with that finger (2nd best mark of career) and right after Snyder came in to replace McMillan he also raised his 3P% back to the 37-40% range.
No he wasn't . He had limited use offensively with the Cavs for sure, and nothing like he got as our first option. Collins might get some secondary usage to see hoe he does, and if he can get back to his winning ways. imo he will fail, but time will decide that.
No way in hell we should be puting him in p/r and taking usage away from the Finnisher, that would just be dumb

He is far from a bum. The hawks were not a good fit for him after bringing in Capela and the system didn't play to his strengths. Even with that being the case he still had big games last year where you can see how good he is capable of being. These are some of his better games from last year and show what he can still do. When he is playing well there is smoothness to his game that is really fun to watch.

useless playr next to Capela is the same useless bum next to WalkerK
Bring him off the bench and see if he pouts like he did after being demoted in ATL. If he does put him in street clothes with a fake injury or something.
A couple good games here and there is all I am expecting from him no matter where he plays.
You want to take the usage away from LM for this guy, than you must support trading LM

We gave up a 2nd round pick. Seriously? All you naysayers act like we’d given up the world to get him and we’ll be strapped forever. I just don’t get it. Did no one watch that video about both the Jazz and Hawk finances from the ESPN dude? He praised where we were.
It aint about what we gave up genius its that ATL had no choice but to take nothing because he is that bad now

When Collins entered the league, his defense was a cause for concern. That is no longer the case. Despite being undersized, occasionally playing the 5, and always playing cleanup for perimeter players, Collins is reliable on defense.
This is good to hear. As I don’t watch him much I wasn’t aware he had improved this much on that side. I’m still worried about his offense and that contract but I can respect a dude that can help a team on that side.
According to Zach Lowe, the Hawks turned down Harrison Barnes plus a protected first for John Collins two years ago.
Oof!!
We all know he'll demand the job of the default screener / roll man
Dude!! This is for sure the one thing he does better than anyone on the jazz he should get most of the screen and roles.

Also, I’m not happy I’m on the same side as you. That’s never a good thing so I’ll just say it’s encouraging, that he was much improved the last 40 or so games. If you hate it I must be wrong.