What's new

Jazz trade for John Collins

You did a great job, don’t let others discourage you.

The finger looked markedly better.
It sounds like it’s been slow to heal, but is significantly better than it was last summer.
If it continues to improve. . . hopefully he can find his shot again.

20/10 on 58% shooting and 40% threes? That would be a helluva player in Will Hardy’s toolbox.

It sounds like it’s been slow to heal, but is significantly better than it was last summer.
If it continues to improve. . . hopefully he can find his shot again.

20/10 on 58% shooting and 40% threes? That would be a helluva player in Will Hardy’s toolbox.
Yes, also “fish in a new pond” factor I think he could have a great year.

He is not any good consistently in fact he is rarely ever reliable, still has skills sure, but can we get the same production he has had in the past 2 seasons for 1/3 the salary .
The only reason we traded for him besides the fact that he has been meh and we hope a change of place helps, was so we could use his contract with some picks to go after someone else.
You can’t say that’s the only reason. He’s a viable player and this trade has no downside. Very well could have the same effect that the trade for Lauri did.

Good points. I just looked at the zoomed photo again and the kink isn't as apparent on second examination. I forget about the medicals thing, that puts me at ease.

Honestly, if his finger is fine and it's improvement coincided with his huge bounceback at the end of the year... ****, y'all... I think we might be onto something.
His improvement also coincided with the ejection of McMillin and the hiring of Quin Snyder, suggesting he was being used improperly.

Here is some matchup data from NBA.com from the 2022/2023 season.

View attachment 14743

The best matchup for John Collins are Forwards where he is the most successful at defending, but the Hawks absolutely killed other teams when they tried guarding him with a Guard. It looks like he's least positive when matched up vs a center.
The best thing about our front court is that your opponents will likely need to be defending massive players with a wing unless they are built like the Jazz. Kessler is built in a way that you can't just push him out by undercutting him on offense like teams would do to Rudy. We can also throw size on Joker and still protect the rim while still being able to shoot. I'm pretty excited.

The best thing about our front court is that your opponents will likely need to be defending massive players with a wing unless they are built like the Jazz. Kessler is built in a way that you can't just push him out by undercutting him on offense like teams would do to Rudy. We can also throw size on Joker and still protect the rim while still being able to shoot. I'm pretty excited.

To be honest I was hoping to see that Collins was a little more switchable. To be clear this data doesn't really say he's not, only that his team wasn't, but I think there is at least some indication that he might not be great at guarding anyone besides Forwards. I think the most disappointing part of this was how his team fared when he was guarding/being guarded by centers.

No he wasn't . He had limited use offensively with the Cavs for sure, and nothing like he got as our first option. Collins might get some secondary usage to see hoe he does, and if he can get back to his winning ways. imo he will fail, but time will decide that.
No way in hell we should be puting him in p/r and taking usage away from the Finnisher, that would just be dumb
And Collins has had limited use offensively ever since McMillan took over and Capela was traded in. Explain how Collins numbers dropping from his 3rd year differ in logic from Lauri's drop from his 2nd year? All I see is different names at HC in Jim Boylen and Nate McMillan. Collins also had the burden of sharing lob targets and PnR with Capela, who also clogged his rim running. Both Kohn and Lauri were misutilized by bad offensive coaches which caused their progress to stall.

Last year he did shoot much worse but in all fairness he was rehabbing a nasty injury. And it obviously didn't destroy his shooting ability as evidenced by his late season surge in 3P% and 2nd best career mark for FT%, so the early season dip in 3P% doesnt look definitive at all.

His improvement also coincided with the ejection of McMillin and the hiring of Quin Snyder, suggesting he was being used improperly.
He was and its common knowledge. Lots of basketball savvy people have said it for years.

Athletic or Ringer wrote an extensive piece last season about how he has had to take one for the team and adapt to a different role than that which made him successful early in his career.

He was and its common knowledge. Lots of basketball savvy people have said it for years.

Athletic or Ringer wrote an extensive piece last season about how he has had to take one for the team and adapt to a different role than that which made him successful early in his career.
Guy’s a baller and team first player. Athletic, young and a great personality. Widely regarded as one of the locker room leaders for the Hawks. I’m excited to see how they use him on the Jazz next to Lauri Markkanen.

Last edited:
JZ mentioned he was getting on a plane right after his post draft interview.

I thought he was going to greet the new rookies.

But now my moneys on him going over to check out Collins’ ring finger.

I don't mind Collins, but I'm curious. If we wanted to include him in a package to get someone else, how soon do the rules allow that he can be moved?

ftr, he shot 39% from three with Quin Snyder as his coach, so there is reason to believe that toward the end of the season and when that picture was taken, the finger had healed up significantly.
I found some interview from september last year where he said that his finger is never going to be looking pretty but it doesn't bother him anymore, has full range of motion and feels comfortable.

They have until July 6th to modify the deal if they want. They can trade him immediately in a 1 for 1 trade. They have to wait 60 days (I believe) to put him in a trade package.
Sounds about right. Also, that’s everything DA did last year with Beverley (1 for 1 getting THT), Vando and Beasley (aggregated with Conley and NAW to get Westbrook and the Lakers pick.)