What's new

Jazz trade Olynyk and Ochai to Toronto for Kira Lewis, Otto Porter, and a 2024 1st round pick

The concept of converting players not part of your longterm plans into draft capital seems to be lost on many.
So what's your take on Lauri's future?

It's all easy and clear until you remember he's in the middle of his prime, is a top 20 player and needs a max extension.

Reactions: vps
I don't get how these two trades are punting on the season. There are plenty of guys on the bench that can step into these roles. They may not be as good, but it won't be some massive step down. and who knows, maybe some of these guys (Hendricks, Brice, THT, Knox, Porter, the new Italian stallion, anyone we grab from the G-league) will step up. Or we could just tighten the rotation and give some of our current guys more minutes (sexton, Dunn, Kessler).
When was the last time THT played? Brice and Hendricks needs more minutes to catch up in development, Knox and Porter suck, the new Italian guy is playing Euroball until next year at least, and there's a reason why G-league heroes are called that.

Unless there's a bigger trade in the pipe, we're about to uncork a Wishnowski-like blast on this season. Generally speaking, teams making a push for the playoffs don't trade their roleplayers for picks like we are.

You guys still believe the Jazz are trying to make the play in? LOL

Crazy how in just a day we have gone from 0 picks in this draft to 3 likely picks. I hope we have a better plan than surrounding Lauri with a bunch of rookies, however.

Three picks? I thought we got one second in the Simone trade and the first in the ko trade. Where’s the third?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

Here's to hoping that Kessler, Hendricks, Bryce, and even maybe tht break out and ball out and we actually get better. Obvious wishful thinking but stranger things have happened.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Oh god!! Does this mean he gets to play again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what's your take on Lauri's future?

It's all easy and clear until you remember he's in the middle of his prime, is a top 20 player and needs a max extension.
I do not think these trades jeopardize Utah's longterm plans with Lauri. He's publicly stated how he wants to be here long-term, well after the trades we made at last year's deadline.

I don't get how these two trades are punting on the season. There are plenty of guys on the bench that can step into these roles. They may not be as good, but it won't be some massive step down. and who knows, maybe some of these guys (Hendricks, Brice, THT, Knox, Porter, the new Italian stallion, anyone we grab from the G-league) will step up. Or we could just tighten the rotation and give some of our current guys more minutes (sexton, Dunn, Kessler).
Agreed.

Losing KO could cost them 1-2 games but don't think they will crater assuming they don't rest all their guys like they did last season. Tecc is the only starter that got dealt and am excited to see what TayHenny can do with NBA minutes.

Trying to stay positive. It's pretty obvious the FO is playing the long game and this is the time to convert non core players into draft picks. DA wants to be a championship contender 4 years down the road and not looking to treadmill.

I do not think these trades jeopardize Utah's longterm plans with Lauri. He's publicly stated how he wants to be here long-term, well after the trades we made at last year's deadline.
He actually reiterated that when we were like 7-16 and there was speculations that we could be willing to move him. He said he wants to stay here and that he trusts the plan going forward.

Agreed.

Losing KO could cost them 1-2 games but don't think they will crater assuming they don't rest all their guys like they did last season. Tecc is the only starter that got dealt and am excited to see what TayHenny can do with NBA minutes.

Trying to stay positive. It's pretty obvious the FO is playing the long game and this is the time to convert non core players into draft picks. DA wants to be a championship contender 4 years down the road and not looking to treadmill.
What will happen is they will let it ride and see how things gel but if they start losing games there will be some sore knees/backs happening to guys like Lauri/Clarkson/Sexton.

The coveting of salary space makes me think the plan is all about snagging someone over the summer while adding promising rookie talent.

For clarification, playing for the right to get blown out in the 1st round wasn't a great goal, but it's something. I'm also all for getting value for players you either aren't using or don't plan on re-signing, so I don't hate this really. I just am confused if we're looking to convey that pick anymore to OKC?

Also we traded away our 5th, 7th and 10th best players thus far. Or something like that.

Last season we traded away our 3rd, (Conley), 7th and 8th best guys (Beasley and Vando), along with NAW.

Last year we didnt really even have guys like Hendricks and Brice to bring up. Well THT and Ochai were there, but they were already getting some rotation minutes.

Also we traded away our 5th, 7th and 10th best players thus far. Or something like that.

Last season we traded away our 3rd, (Conley), 7th and 8th best guys (Beasley and Vando), along with NAW.

Last year we didnt really even have guys like Hendricks and Brice to bring up. Well THT and Ochai were there, but they were already getting some rotation minutes.
According to BPM we traded our 2nd, 7th, and 9th.

IMO we traded our 4th/5th/10th

Lewis is not going to sniff the court unless they are heavy tanking at the end.

Porter is also probably not going to play.
exactly. So you can see why Eliza might hate this trade even if he wasn't high on KO. Same thing for me.

I'm still expecting the Clarkson trade to come in....but either way it's going to be a very barren team around Lauri. This has got to be the last time they play half a season only to quit....right?

EDIT: Nevermind on JC.
Why nevermind on JC? Did he just get traded?

exactly. So you can see why Eliza might hate this trade even if he wasn't high on KO. Same thing for me.
No, I really dont.

Walker is going to get a lot more minutes. Also Hendricks (who you said was a great shooter and defense)

If you have hated on KO (which Elizah has) this trade should be viewed as adding wins.