What's new

Jazz vs Lakers - Why the Jazz need to lose.

You can look at the 80’s (Magic and Bird) and the 90’s (Jordan and Hakeem), but in the past 11 NBA seasons, history clearly shows the majority of those championship teams were not dependant on top-3 picks.

^
Four of those titles involved Shaq.
...Who was a #1 overall pick by the Magic and won a grand total of zero titles in Orlando. The Lakers signed him as a FA. The Heat acquired him for two players they themselves signed as FA's (Odom and Brian Grant) and one they drafted 10th overall (Caron Butler). The fact that Shaq was originally a top-3 pick had nothing to do with the Lakers and Heat acquiring him and winning those 4 titles.

This is largely how it's worked for the past 11 years. With the exception of Duncan, teams that draft great talent in the top-3 don't win titles with those players, and the subsequent teams that win titles with these players don't rely on top-3 picks to acquire them.

All that happened was proof that we need this team to lose this year.

Don't agree with this at all. Utah played a very competetive game against a very good team, in which the outcome could have easily gone either way.

I have no problem with Utah doing things excatly the way they are, which is developing their young guys in a situation where they can get a feel for winning. Some people do blow the losing culture thing out of proportion, but it's a legitimate concern, and constant losing can definately haunt teams. Yes, teams do overcome it in some cases, but not always.

When it comes to building the team, my feeling is that the greater value in our current situation would be keeping our pick. Not because I think we are going to draft a superstar, but because it would be a considerable asset in building the team. Having said that, I just can't root against my guys from achieving as much success as they can. If these can guys can play good enough to get into the post-season, they deserve that chance.