24. Cavs
25. Grizzlies
26. Spurs
27. Lakers
28. Celtics
29. Nets
30. Warriors

1367346.jpg

Pending medical, I went with Turner. Not that I'd hate getting Frank the Tank, Looney or Portis. Honestly, I have players 9-19 rated very, very close. So it comes down to fit for me. I think Turner has the most upside of all the players left on the board, he fits with the new defensive identity and he has the potential to develop into a 2 way player that can function in a rotation with Gobert and Favors.

Jazz should still be swinging for the fence. Turner fits that description the best out of the players still left IMO.

wow it would be a fun draft night if kaminsky and turner are still on board. I went turner because of the defensive upside and that will get him playing time right away.

I've made my case in the other thread for Turner - I think he's the best player available at this spot. I think he's very raw, but if all his medicals check out I think he has unique blend of skills that are very coveted in the league right now from the bigs - rim protection and ability to stretch the floor. He also has the physical attributes required to succeed in the league and to add to that he seems like he's a great human being with strong family ties. He's the type of player the Jazz love when it comes to personality and family background. I think he can play with both Gobert and Favors and probably play both positions. Now that's not to say he's going to be a monster right away, but I think in the long run he will be a great player for the Jazz.

I've made my case in the other thread for Turner - I think he's the best player available at this spot. I think he's very raw, but if all his medicals check out I think he has unique blend of skills that are very coveted in the league right now from the bigs - rim protection and ability to stretch the floor. He also has the physical attributes required to succeed in the league and to add to that he seems like he's a great human being with strong family ties. He's the type of player the Jazz love when it comes to personality and family background. I think he can play with both Gobert and Favors and probably play both positions. Now that's not to say he's going to be a monster right away, but I think in the long run he will be a great player for the Jazz.

According to DX he is a pretty bad pick n roll defender and has average, at best, lateral speed for a center. I don't think he can play with Gobert, unless Gobert starts guarding the perimeter.

Frank Kaminsky bitches.

I hope that's the pick. I'll take Turner though too.

I predict we make a trade though. So I picked other.

Last edited:
Frank The Tank

Kaminsky, but I'm starting to believe in Turner too.

Honestly there are a handful of people here I won't be too upset about. And even the one's I might (Lyles, Dekker) I could probably talk myself into liking.

According to DX he is a pretty bad pick n roll defender and has average, at best, lateral speed for a center. I don't think he can play with Gobert, unless Gobert starts guarding the perimeter.

Yah, guarding in space might be a bit of a problem. I don't know if the training he's doing with the help of those human movement experts can help with that. I think his pnr defense will improve when he gets the appropriate coaching. From what I've seen it's a lot of things he can be coached on - like he doesn't hedge all the way and that gives the ballhandler an easy lane to the basket, or his positioning and footwork puts him in no-mans land way too often. His lateral quickness is not great but I think he recovers well a lot of the time and his timing on the contest and block attempts is great. For the first several years he will be a sub for sure, and I don't think there are many bench bigs that can take advantage of that.

For the record - I agree, I think his main position will be 5 and we will probably try to avoid putting him in the high pnr(i.e. put him on the guy that can't shoot or is isn't much of an offensive treat so he wouldn't have to come out so high and even if he does, the repercussions won't be as severe.

Yah, guarding in space might be a bit of a problem. I don't know if the training he's doing with the help of those human movement experts can help with that. I think his pnr defense will improve when he gets the appropriate coaching. From what I've seen it's a lot of things he can be coached on - like he doesn't hedge all the way and that gives the ballhandler an easy lane to the basket, or his positioning and footwork puts him in no-mans land way too often. His lateral quickness is not great but I think he recovers well a lot of the time and his timing on the contest and block attempts is great. For the first several years he will be a sub for sure, and I don't think there are many bench bigs that can take advantage of that.

It would be a huge problem when he is on the court with Gobert and really limit the minutes he would be able to play on our team.

I just hate the idea of drafting a center who cant play next to Gobert.

We are going to have Gobert for probably the next 7 years. He has 2 years left on his rookie deal and will probably get the 5 year max from us for an extension.

It would be a huge problem when he is on the court with Gobert and really limit the minutes he would be able to play on our team.

Yah, I don't really think he will be ready to play a ton of minutes anyways for the first couple of years. In general I see him as our back up C for the most part + some spot minutes at back up 4 situationally.

We are going to have Gobert for probably the next 7 years. He has 2 years left on his rookie deal and will probably get the 5 year max from us for an extension.

You have a point but my hope is that he will improve a lot his footwork and he might already have improved his quickness in defense(that last one is a huge speculation so take it with a bucket of salt).

Yah, I don't really think he will be ready to play a ton of minutes anyways for the first couple of years. In general I see him as our back up C for the most part + some spot minutes at back up 4 situationally.

I just see now way he can play the 4. Just watched some video of him, gets burnt by slow college athletes 1-on-1 and in the PNR. He is also slow as **** down he court. His matchup at the 4 will burn him down the court every time.

You have a point but my hope is that he will improve a lot his footwork and he might already have improved his quickness in defense(that last one is a huge speculation so take it with a bucket of salt).

I'm sure he will improve it, but I don't see him improving it enough to be playable at PF alongside Gobert.

I just see now way he can play the 4. Just watched some video of him, gets burnt by slow college athletes 1-on-1 and in the PNR. He is also slow as **** down he court. His matchup at the 4 will burn him down the court every time.

Again that's video from before his running coaching took place. He looked like he moved well on the video I saw from several weeks ago. Me liking him as a prospect is conditioned a lot on him being able to move well. Before I knew he's worked on that and improved dramatically he was behind both Kaminsky and Portis on my list. If he can't run and move well it will be a problem indeed.

BTW I don't know why you don't like Rudy on stretchy types, especially when you consider that he will have another potentially elite rim protector behind him. Rudy did phenomenal job against face up/stretchy bigs in a lot of cases(he did a number on Aldridge, Gasol, even had some success against AD) and he also had some ridiculous allowed % shooting when defending the pnr(like in the 20s if I'm not mistaken). Sure, it might be taking some of his best attributes as weakside shotblocker and rim protector away, but it's not like he's too shabby defending on the perimeter either, and it's not much of a loss if Turner turns into an elite rim protector himself.

I almost think this is the worst case scenario. I think the Jazz would take any of the players listed ahead over these guys, with the possible exception of Booker.

Something DoL said yesterday on 1280 made me think that he was ruling out Myles. Later I wondered if he meant looney. Perhaps it was a big jump to a conclusion on my part.

He said...Orthopedically, there may be a guy that you really like, but Orthopedically there are limits to how long he can play. Listen here....https://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20150529_052915_lindsey-WEB.mp3 listen at the 6:25

If I had to bet my money, I say this pick gets traded. Lindsey has suggested that they would consider pushing this draft pick out to future years (by trading it for a future pick). And he has hinted that the team is 2 deep in young players at every position and it is hard to get potential draft picks in because guys Don't see a chance to play.

If the Jazz keep the pick, I want Portis I think he can contribute right away and will have a long, productive career, but sadly it won't be with the Jazz. Jazz reach for a player that fills a need and draft Decker causing Jazzfanz to melt down again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyxfkgW6jzo

Offensive versatility, defensive versatility (look at this dude guard the perimeter starting at 1:50, dude is an animal), enough length and size to play either position, runs the floor, high motor, good range on his jumper basketball IQ, still young.

Isn't this everything we want?