What's new

Jazzfanz off-season ping pong tournament-- time now set: Aug 31, 7-9 pm

colton

All Around Nice Guy
Contributor
A couple of months ago in some thread that has undoubtedly since been buried, I said I'd organize a Jazzfanz ping pong tournament during the off-season if there's enough interest. The time is now!

This will be in Orem, by the mouth of Provo canyon around 800 N and University Avenue. There's a club there with 6 ping pong tables that I have access to. It's free.

You will need to bring your own paddle. (Borrow one from a friend/neighbor, if you don't have one yourself.) I will bring good quality ping pong balls.

There are typically other people playing at the club on Tuesday/Thursday nights and Saturday afternoons, so we'd probably need to do this on a Monday, Wed, or Friday evening, or Saturday morning/evening.

If you would like to participate please send me a message or reply to this thread. I think we'll need at least 6 people to sign up make this worth doing, and more would certainly be better. People of all ability are invited! Once you're knocked out of the tournament, you can stick around and just play against other jazzfanzers for fun.

I'll give people a few days to sign up, then will contact the interested people privately to figure out a day/time in the next few weeks that works for everyone.

We will use standard tournament rules, which are as follows:
  • Games are played to 11 points, have to win by 2.
  • Switch serve every 2 points.
  • If a game goes to deuce (10-10), then you switch serve every point instead of every 2 points.
  • Best 3 out of 5 games wins the match.
Exact tournament format (single elimination vs double elimination vs round robin, etc.) will depend on how many people sign up. I'll shoot for a format that makes the tournament last around 2-2.5 hours.

Hey @Jason, any prizes for the winner? ;-) (Probably me, ha ha ha.)

I’m down. But Wednesday’s don’t work for me and weekends are rotational.

Monday nights would be best. This is also very close to where I live.

I might be down. I suck at ping pong though.
I'm just possibly down for a get together regardless of the reason.
Gonna have to be a jazz game going on or something though

Oh wait, it says in the off season right in the title. Probably a no from me then but who knows... I will keep an eye on this thread.
No date yet right?
Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

If only it was 40 years ago. . .

I grew up with a ping pong table but have played very little since I was 20.

If I'm in town, I'm down. I haven't played ping pong in years, but would love too. I've thought about getting a table in my house.

@TroutBum is supposedly the ping pong gawd.

If you get a chance, watch this video. Wholesome af. I love how small things like ping pong can bring so many different people together.

I haven’t read the thread but came here to say that I’m disappointed you haven’t posted the YouTube video of you playing ping pong at BYU.

I've been watching the Chinese ping pong national team play lately. They are amazing. A lot of the parks here have ping pong tables and a lot of people playing. Usually older people that are very very good.

I have a colleague who is the Strength Coach for Chinese national ping pong team, which amuses me.

I might be down. I suck at ping pong though.
I'm just possibly down for a get together regardless of the reason.
Gonna have to be a jazz game going on or something though

Oh wait, it says in the off season right in the title. Probably a no from me then but who knows... I will keep an eye on this thread.
No date yet right?
Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
Not yet. I'll set the date after checking schedules of the people who say they'd like to be in.

We can contribute an electronic gift card to the winner, sure.
How about we give the gift card to the runner up if I win? I'd hate to set up the tournament and win my own prize, so to speak.

I’m down. But Wednesday’s don’t work for me and weekends are rotational.

Monday nights would be best. This is also very close to where I live.
Really? I only live a mile and a half from there, myself. We're neighbors!