What's new

Jefferson breaks into top 10, Millsap 11

JAG

I recently went into an ESPN fantasy mock draft and found myself pleasantly surprised to see Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap listed as the 10th and 11th best fantasy players. Jefferson usually is in the top 15 (I believe) with Millsap going in the late 20s. Who would you choose?

I would take Millsap at 11th, theoretically.

I wouldn't draft either that high considering that Mr. Favors is going to cut in their minutes this season. Somewhere in the low-mid 20's seems about right.

But really Sap is a good pick in that range, He gives you good points, rebounds, Steals and some blocks all with a good FG%. You cant ask for much more than that.

Jefferson is pretty good at fake basketball.

What will it take for you to shed this opinion on Jefferson? Revolving our offense around him put us in the top ten of the league last year. Do you want the same from him defensively?

Numbers wise, Jefferson will definitely get you more points, rebounds, and blocks. In fantasy, Jefferson is pretty good because he will always get his numbers. For me, Millsap has been on my team for the last few years, but I have a hard time taking him at 11 because I do believe that Favors is going to come in and disrupt the production. But there is just a part of me that is repulsed at taking Jefferson over Millsap if it comes to that...

What will it take for you to shed this opinion on Jefferson? Revolving our offense around him put us in the top ten of the league last year. Do you want the same from him defensively?

His 18 points per game on 49% shooting? Not exactly an offensive legend. My biggest problem with him isn't even his defense. It is the fact he kills the flow of the game. Everyone plays worse when he dominates. And even though his assist numbers weren't horrible, running the offense through him takes the backcourt completely out of the game. That's true even when he's having a good passing game. He moves too slowly, he holds the ball too long, and he always does a bunch of post moves before he abruptly passes. I don't think there's anything he can do to make me like his game.

His 18 points per game on 49% shooting? Not exactly an offensive legend. My biggest problem with him isn't even his defense. It is the fact he kills the flow of the game. Everyone plays worse when he dominates. And even though his assist numbers weren't horrible, running the offense through him takes the backcourt completely out of the game. That's true even when he's having a good passing game. He moves too slowly, he holds the ball too long, and he always does a bunch of post moves before he abruptly passes. I don't think there's anything he can do to make me like his game.

Fact of the matter is: Al is the focal point of this offense, and was all through last season. The results? Utah was FOURTH in ppg last season, 9th in FG%, and 4th in FTAs. Our Assists should go up, of-couse, and its quite obvious how seriously our offense faltered in the playoffs. However was this because of Al? Or was it because our wings suddenly forgot how to hit open shots? Who knows.

I am all for a more vesatile, multi-dimensional offense. Especially in contrast to last season. But people who are trying describe our team as offensively inept when revolving it around Jefferson are quite incorrect, statically speaking. Well, at least from what i can gather.

Jefferson is an absolute gem in fantasy, especially if you are playing with TO's as a stat category. Scores well, blocks shots, rebounds, and actually gets good assist compared to other centers.

Now if he can just up his FT attempts and play passable defense.

Fact of the matter is: Al is the focal point of this offense, and was all through last season. The results? Utah was FOURTH in ppg last season, 9th in FG%, and 4th in FTAs. Our Assists should go up, of-couse, and its quite obvious how seriously our offense faltered in the playoffs. However was this because of Al? Or was it because our wings suddenly forgot how to hit open shots? Who knows.

I am all for a more vesatile, multi-dimensional offense. Especially in contrast to last season. But people who are trying describe our team as offensively inept when revolving it around Jefferson are quite incorrect, statically speaking. Well, at least from what i can gather.

You nailed it. Wish I could rep.

Let's hope you and I aren't wildly incorrect with the addition of shooters and a training camp to get everyone on the same page. If Jefferson gets up to 52% shooting, 4.3+ FTAs & 2.6 assists per then I'll be happy with him. That would bump his effective field goal % up somewhere closer to LeBron. I am always baffled at how many no calls go against Jefferson. Just one more call per game would bump his shooting and FTAs way up (52.4% and 4.9 FTAs).

Note to GVC/Numb/NAOS--Jefferson's usage pct isn't in the top 20 and I expect it to go down even further this season with these new additions & youth improvements. This should make all of you a little less negative on the guy.

I typed a long response with stats and everything, but then I changed my mind as this isn't something I feel strongly enough about to debate. I just wanted to say that the Jazz were actually ranked 7th offensively, not 4th. And 21st defensively. They also ranked 13th in possession efficiency (pace).

Jefferson all the way up to #6 on Yahoo's rankings.

Cy's post on this is my feeling also.

the pro-al crowd just used these two arguments, almost back-to-back:

1) our offense became a great offense because we revolved everything around al.
2) al isn't a ballhog because his usage was so low compared to other teams' stars.

so which was it? al was our staple on every play? or he had a very low usage. cuz you kinda can't have it both ways on this one.

the pro-al crowd just used these two arguments, almost back-to-back:

1) our offense became a great offense because we revolved everything around al.
2) al isn't a ballhog because his usage was so low compared to other teams' stars.

so which was it? al was our staple on every play? or he had a very low usage. cuz you kinda can't have it both ways on this one.

The Phoenix Suns offense revolved around Steve Nash.

He had nearly less than half the Usage percentage of Kobe Bryant last season.

Not to break up the Dal-Frank circle jerk, but it might be worthwhile to consider that the Jazz were 4th in fastbreak points per game and 3rd in offensive rebounds last season. That's not to say Al wasn't an offensive difference maker (you know, since he was). The problem with Al, as I see it, is that he's really only effective with the ball in his hands in the halfcourt. He doesn't see the court particularly well, is among the slowest players in the league to react to the game, take action and run the floor (he may just be the slowest player in transition), does little off the ball (weak screens, slow to get into position/out of the way, etc.) and, largely as a result, is ill suited for a complementary role. You either build around Al or he gets in the way. Can a team built around Al (at least 3 dudes who can get out in transition, at least 3 who can hit 3s consistently, and an elite weakside defender in the starting lineup IMO...sorta what the Jazz are building, coincidentally) contend? I don't think so. Further, I ****ing hate the brand of basketball Al forces his teams to play. Not the least bit entertaining. As a Jazz fan, it offends me.

I typed a long response with stats and everything, but then I changed my mind as this isn't something I feel strongly enough about to debate. I just wanted to say that the Jazz were actually ranked 7th offensively, not 4th. And 21st defensively. They also ranked 13th in possession efficiency (pace).

y u so dummy

Not to break up the Dal-Frank circle jerk, but it might be worthwhile to consider that the Jazz were 4th in fastbreak points per game and 3rd in offensive rebounds last season. That's not to say Al wasn't an offensive difference maker (you know, since he was). The problem with Al, as I see it, is that he's really only effective with the ball in his hands in the halfcourt. He doesn't see the court particularly well, is among the slowest players in the league to react to the game, take action and run the floor (he may just be the slowest player in transition), does little off the ball (weak screens, slow to get into position/out of the way, etc.) and, largely as a result, is ill suited for a complementary role. You either build around Al or he gets in the way. Can a team built around Al (at least 3 dudes who can get out in transition, at least 3 who can hit 3s consistently, and an elite weakside defender in the starting lineup IMO...sorta what the Jazz are building, coincidentally) contend? I don't think so. Further, I ****ing hate the brand of basketball Al forces his teams to play. Not the least bit entertaining. As a Jazz fan, it offends me.

Strong words that I strongly agree with.