What's new

Jeremy Evans = Stromile Swift?

The Fresh Prince

Looking at his strengths with wingspan and athletic ability, the guy looks very similar to Stro. He also has a good ability with blocking, ala Stromile did/does too.

What's your thoughts, who do you compare J.E to the most? I'm ready for this guy to give us some energy off the bench.

Looking at his strengths with wingspan and athletic ability, the guy looks very similar to Stro. He also has a good ability with blocking, ala Stromile did/does too.

What's your thoughts, who do you compare J.E to the most? I'm ready for this guy to give us some energy off the bench.

A clean and dedicated Keon Clark

Stro seems like a pretty good comparison. Freak athlete, not much of an offensive game outside of dunking.

I'm excited about Evan's athletic ability and I will admit I've never seen him play except for 2 summer league games.

However, I don't want to be a wet blanket but I think it needs to be pointed out that he'll be 23 by the time the season starts - Utah better hope this guy is a late bloomer. Europe, NBADL and your local YMCA are full of guys who can jump out of the gym.

Stro seems like a pretty good comparison. Freak athlete, not much of an offensive game outside of dunking.

Evans has a sick FG% (albeit via -5 ft from the rim) but lets think big...
Jeremy Evans = a -2in verision of SUPERMAN!!!

If you have watched the games, Evans has a nice BBIQ. He makes good rotations on D and he made some nice dump off passes. If he was 40 points heavier he could be a great energy PF. As it is he needs to develop his game more.

Decent comparison, but unless he puts on some weight he won't contribute at all off the bench.
Evans wasn't a bad pick, but he's a project. I think he's at least a year away from making a significant contribution. But a good find by the Jazz scouts.

I'm excited about Evan's athletic ability and I will admit I've never seen him play except for 2 summer league games.

However, I don't want to be a wet blanket but I think it needs to be pointed out that he'll be 23 by the time the season starts - Utah better hope this guy is a late bloomer. Europe, NBADL and your local YMCA are full of guys who can jump out of the gym.
I don't understand why people worry about age. It's like it's a penalty to graduate from college.

Also, the maturity from college makes for a player that usually develops to his potential faster. Compare the upperclassman draftees Boozer, Collins, and Matthews, and Millsap over the youthful Fesenko, Humphries, Koufos, Miles, and DeShawn Stevenson.

Also, Locke and others have mentioned that NBA minutes is at least as important as age. Evans could have a four-year rookie contract and a five-year subsequent contract averaging 30 MPG for 70 games per year and still be below the 20000-minute or 25000-minute figure where analysts start saying that a player is worn out. (Raja Bell has 18,700 minutes now, including playoffs.)
https://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/17640/john-hollinger-on-joe-johnsons-big-bad-deal

If Utah is able to get just a few years of legit minutes out of a late-second rounder, they can consider the pick a huge success. If Evans turns into a role player or better for Utah past the rookie deal, then it's gravy.

Let's see Evans put on more muscle mass and develop his skill to the NBA level before we worry about his age.

Except for the unexpected injury, I would have loved for the Jazz to land Ekpe Udoh, and he's 24. (Fortunately they got someone better in Jefferson.)

Decent comparison, but unless he puts on some weight he won't contribute at all off the bench.
Evans wasn't a bad pick, but he's a project. I think he's at least a year away from making a significant contribution. But a good find by the Jazz scouts.

This.

Evans is a mystery. He has been compared physically to Derrick Favors, & Stromile Swift by JazzFanz, and to Dwight Howard by KOC, but good luck finding actual mesurements of the guy.

His college numbers were nothing to take notice of, and he was only seen by the jazz because they went to scout his teamate. His numbers were pretty pedstrian at the summer league too, but supposedly everyone was talking about him.
The games I watched he had good hands, and good instincts around the basket, he even knew where to be on the floor but he seemed too reluctant and mechanical away from the basket.

Sure he's a project- but maybe the jazz will find it easier to make an NBA body for a good kid that likes to play ball than it was to make a basketball player out of a goof ball with an NBA body.

Oh how I would love to be 23 years old again and be considered ovter the hill. The guy hasn't turned 23 and there is no chance he will improve. I saw improvement during the few days in summer league. The kid will surprise you with his talent. If he can develop a jumpshot I think Evans can be a nice role player. Funny how some people think AK will still improve but they have given up on Wes and Evans because they are almost 23 years old.

Oh how I would love to be 23 years old again and be considered ovter the hill. The guy hasn't turned 23 and there is no chance he will improve. I saw improvement during the few days in summer league. The kid will surprise you with his talent. If he can develop a jumpshot I think Evans can be a nice role player. Funny how some people think AK will still improve but they have given up on Wes and Evans because they are almost 23 years old.

Who is this "Wes" you speak of?

Jarvis Vernado was a summer league monster for the Heat in a game I saw. Evan's team beat Vernado's team although Evans fouled out and Vernado was statiscally superior.

I've seen or heard 6''8" to 6'10" who knows what it is with shoes, without shoes. Like I said he's a mystery. If he'd gone to the Chicago Pre-draft camp maybe, but he wasn't even invited, he wasn't invited to POrtsmith either. KOC said they got a letter from Evans agent that had all his physicall stats and the jazz thought he was near equivilant to Dwight HOward when he came in the league.

I didn't say there is no chance he'll improve - but some people need to recalibrate their expectations. We're talking like this kid is some straight out of high school raw talent. Yeah, he may be able to develop a jump shot; but odds are if you don't have one by the time you're 23, you won't develop one. It's not impossible; but it's not likely either.

And the Stromile Swift comparisons are also a major stretch - Swift left after his second year and was an All American who played for a major program.