What's new

Jody Genessy trolls Locke

I really get bugged when I hear that missing on Kanter "delays the rebuild". Does it suck to miss on the #3 overall pick? Of course, but what allowed Utah to bite the bullet on Kanter was the fact that they picked Gobert #27 overall, he developed light years ahead of Kanter, and now would be considered a top 3 pick if you could have a draft do-over. If we're gonna complain about taking a step back with Kanter, we also better be ready to aknowledge that we took a step forward with Gobert. And while our assets in the Kanter deal might not be dazzling, if Lindsay turns them into anything and Gobert continues on his trajectory, this rebuild has not hit a speed bump.
AS hard as it may be to let Kanter go, a team that wants to move from bad to good or from good to great is always looking to replace their weaker links if/when they can. There are limited resources (cap dollars). As Lindsey said, not everyone can be paid $10M. I think the Jazz now have 3 great players in place in Hayward, Favors and Gobert. Well, Rudy still needs to improve a lot, but he's certainly shown a huge upward trajectory. Burks was fairly solid. Exum? Who knows. Simply didn't have the luxury of paying Kanter as a premium starter (Hayward-level money) when he's a marginal starter. If Exum hasn't improved that much in 4 years and we've drafted a PG who clearly is better, I'd say do the same.

It doesn't set a team back to find a player who is better. Over the course of several years you ARE going to lose some of your draft picks - whether it's by your choice or theirs.

I must disagree at least in part. Locke is pretty good at analyzing the games through analytics and he often calls bad trades, which are perceived as good trades, through analytics. He's not always right, but he hits on them pretty often.

He's at the very least a complete workaholic when it comes to numbers and exploring advanced stats. The fact that he has the ear of guys like Kevin Pelton and Nate Duncan shows that he's not a buffoon on that front.

He's got a knack for mangling the english language, though. That and audio production.

I really get bugged when I hear that missing on Kanter "delays the rebuild". Does it suck to miss on the #3 overall pick? Of course, but what allowed Utah to bite the bullet on Kanter was the fact that they picked Gobert #27 overall, he developed light years ahead of Kanter, and now would be considered a top 3 pick if you could have a draft do-over. If we're gonna complain about taking a step back with Kanter, we also better be ready to aknowledge that we took a step forward with Gobert. And while our assets in the Kanter deal might not be dazzling, if Lindsay turns them into anything and Gobert continues on his trajectory, this rebuild has not hit a speed bump.

Great post.

He's at the very least a complete workaholic when it comes to numbers and exploring advanced stats. The fact that he has the ear of guys like Kevin Pelton and Nate Duncan shows that he's not a buffoon on that front.

He's got a knack for mangling the english language, though. That and audio production.

The problem with Locke is that he was not educated in analytics. All the people he strives to be are. Therefore he hacks his way through the science and manipulates the numbers to achieve whatever point he is trying to make.

The problem with Locke is that he was not educated in analytics. All the people he strives to be are. Therefore he hacks his way through the science and manipulates the numbers to achieve whatever point he is trying to make.

I don't think one needs to be too educated with analytics in order to understand them-- it's just important to present them as bias-free as possible.

Locke has trouble with this. The dude goes out of his way, time and time again, to toe the company line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That said I am huge fan of his. Very insightful and when he is being honest does a great job.

Same. It's a bummer, because he does so damn much for our fanbase. He lives and breathes basketball.

With that said, some of his tweets simply hurt his credibility. It's a bummer. With that said, there is still good info he presents-- and because of that, I still follow him on Twitter.

I don't think one needs to be too educated with analytics in order to understand them-- it's just important to present them as bias-free as possible.

Locke has trouble with this. The dude goes out of his way, time and time again, to toe the company line.

Yep, he presents numbers with little to no statistical significance in order to make whatever point he is pursuing. The numbers this thread is about are a perfect example. He took numbers of 25 games with a ton of variables that are not dependent on Kanter's individual play and tried to make a point about him becoming a great defensive player, without consideration to the fact that a couple of games in which Kanter played garbage minutes would have pretty big impact on those numbers, because of the small sample size, without consideration to the fact that most of those games happened after Dante was embedded in the starting lineup and played more minutes with Kanter while Gobert had to play extended minutes behind Trey.

Yep, he presents numbers with little to no statistical significance in order to make whatever point he is pursuing. The numbers this thread is about are a perfect example. He took numbers of 25 games with a ton of variables that are not dependent on Kanter's individual play and tried to make a point about him becoming a great defensive player, without consideration to the fact that a couple of games in which Kanter played garbage minutes would have pretty big impact on those numbers, because of the small sample size, without consideration to the fact that most of those games happened after Dante was embedded in the starting lineup and played more minutes with Kanter while Gobert had to play extended minutes behind Trey.
This 100%!! "Locked offensive rating" he's never explained what it entails. How can anyone take it serious, when nobody but him knows what the hell it is?

Last edited:

You're right, and I usually try to make a similar point. And this is exactly how the unscientific draft works — you whiff on some and knock others out of the park. So, Rudy is a great Plan B to the original #CoreFour rebuild. Better than Plan A probably. I can't let the Jazz completely off the hook, though, for missing on Kanter. Imagine how good Utah's future would look if Kanter were the sixth man and Gobert was an All-Star starting center.

You're right, and I usually try to make a similar point. And this is exactly how the unscientific draft works — you whiff on some and knock others out of the park. So, Rudy is a great Plan B to the original #CoreFour rebuild. Better than Plan A probably. I can't let the Jazz completely off the hook, though, for missing on Kanter. Imagine how good Utah's future would look if Kanter were the sixth man and Gobert was an All-Star starting center.

The thing is... we cannot afford to pay 2 x 8 figure salaries for eventual bench players and hope to be contenders. There is a better use of this money. Also, see how Enes reacted to 28MPG in a starting job and imagine how well benching him and giving him 22 minutes as a third big would have worked.

The thing is... we cannot afford to pay 2 x 8 figure salaries for eventual bench players and hope to be contenders. There is a better use of this money. Also, see how Enes reacted to 28MPG in a starting job and imagine how well benching him and giving him 22 minutes as a third big would have worked.
I honestly could have cared less what Enes thought of his role. The plain and simple fact is that you do what's best for the team - not the player. If those things align, great. If not, tough crap. I'd have held out for more. If it wasn't happening, I'd have moved forward with my vision and forced Kanter to align to that. Gobert, Favors, Hayward and Exum starting with Burke, Kanter, Booker and Hood getting the bulk of the bench minutes. Then dealt with his situation in RFA. The Jazz might surprise me and use the cap space to make a big move, but I'd have been inclined to draw a hard line to send a message and see what the future could bring me down the line.