What's new

Joe Rogan

It is that exact same logic to use for the democrats having earned the beating they are about to take in the 2022 election. They earned it.
Current projections are for Democrats to have good chances in keeping the House. They have managed to out-gerrymander the Republicans. The Senates seems likely to go to 51-52 Rs. Neither is a "beating".

People are over the woke police. They are so over it that Rogan may even survive this when no other celebrity I can think of survived it.
You have a bad memory. Just about every celebrity who doesn't face legal charges survives it.

People are over it. It was a big kick in the teeth to the wokes when Netflix didn't cancel Dave Chappelle.
You remembered one after all.

I've heard a few Rogan casts - not an avid listener, but have tuned in to a few if the topic seems it would be interesting. With his audience being bigger now than it was at the beginning, it's much less scattered and has lost some of the discussion spontaneity since the early days.

I don't think he's racist in nature, but he has said racist things and you can equate them what you will. Comedians say lots of dumb stuff to generate laughs and sometimes we take it too seriously, but there's definitely limits on what is and isn't funny.

I think he is guilty of being a bit too agreeable and chummy with his guests without really demonstrating opinions that can differ. It makes him a bit flip-floppy in nature to say that vaccines are incredible and that everyone should take them and then later question them if he feels the guest and general audience that segment might feel differently. It's one of the main reasons I don't care to listen to him as it becomes a parrot session.

At the end of the day, he's a person with an opinion and you should formulate your own.

Current projections are for Democrats to have good chances in keeping the House. They have managed to out-gerrymander the Republicans. The Senates seems likely to go to 51-52 Rs. Neither is a "beating".

You have a bad memory. Just about every celebrity who doesn't face legal charges survives it.

You remembered one after all.
They're addin 3 seats to the senate? seems like the kind of news we would have heard about...

haha

EDIT:
Derp me. I get now that you were saying that there would be 51 to 52 Republicans.

Last edited:
Rogan is as human as your best friend.

You can go back years ago on Jazzfanz and I've said some foolish and ignorant things too.

I've also changed to be a better person in life. My past doesn't define who I am today. My character shows that I'm capable of changing and having thoughts of my own.

This whole cancel culture thing is sad. I know, first hand, how much someone can change.

Love you dudes. Please don't search JF and get me fired. Haha

But in all seriousness, I've said things I've adapted from. Does that make me bad or good?

Rogan is as human as your best friend.

You can go back years ago on Jazzfanz and I've said some foolish and ignorant things too.

I've also changed to be a better person in life. My past doesn't define who I am today. My character shows that I'm capable of changing and having thoughts of my own.

This whole cancel culture thing is sad. I know, first hand, how much someone can change.

Love you dudes. Please don't search JF and get me fired. Haha

But in all seriousness, I've said things I've adapted from. Does that make me bad or good?
I really hardly watch any of his stuff. The stuff I do watch I agree with some others that he really lets his guest dictate the interview. He seems empathetic to his guests and open to anything they want to talk about.

Isn't it sad that there's such a large audience for such filth? I don't get the draw other than bored middle class folks wanting to feel like they're still top jock in high school. Rogan is nothing more than Rush Limbaugh. Erich Fromm @Red talks about this. There's something empowering with entertainers saying the most crude and vilest things and there's something empowering to listeners to be given permission to listen to and sometimes act out these worse impulses.

Rogan's audience is entirely (in Australia) young white middle class wankers, advertisers love that demographic....

Really good article. Boot says it a lot better than I could.

Finally, most egregious of all, Joe Rogan. The No. 1 podcaster in America is constantly apologizing these days — and he has much to be sorry for. His podcast, which Spotify paid a reported $100 million to carry, is a superspreader of covid-19 misinformation. He has discouraged young people from getting vaccinated, announced that he was treating his own case of covid with the anti-parasitic drug ivermectin (not a medically recognized treatment), and featured guests who compared pandemic policies to the Holocaust...

But then there is an awful lot that Rogan — a college dropout, former mixed martial-arts fighter and comedian — does not know. He admitted last year: “I am a f---ing moron. I am a cage-fighting commentator. … I am not a respected source of information even for me. But I at least try to be honest about what I am saying.”
We are suffering, as Tom Nichols noted, from “The Death of Expertise.” We are the land where every covid crackpot says, “I’m doing my own research” — which usually consists of googling the views of other crackpots. Why not listen, instead, to the scientific experts? Because, in our “idiocracy,” entertainment is more important than expertise. Lack of knowledge is practically a prerequisite for influence. Knowing things makes you suspect as a snooty, out-of-touch elitist.
That’s why a former reality TV show host became president, and a former cage-fighting commentator became the top podcaster in America. We are paying a significant price for the lack of gatekeepers — and the resulting surfeit of ignoramuses — in both our politics and our media.

Don't these entertainers owe society anything? They want all the freedom of the liberal democracy but none of the responsibility. What price will Rogan pay for his covid disinformation? He has millions of listeners. Will he pay any price? If I were to dump oil into Deer Creek today, I'd pay a price. Yet, Rogan gets to continually spew dishonest information that has prolonged this pandemic to millions of listeners and nothing? Newspapers can't just outright lie, that's why they have editors to vet information. But podcasters like Rogan don't even have that. They're not being held to any set of standards and their influence exceeds that of our top news sources. Do we seriously not see a problem with that?

Social media platforms want all the freedom (and money) of a liberal democracy but none of the responsibility. They claim to be pro-free speech yet use algorithms that promote the most hateful, divisive, and dishonest. So they're actually pro-divisive and harmful speech because it generates more interaction which generates ad revenue. Doesn't Facebook (and other social media platforms) owe society anything? Shouldn't they be used for something other than mindlessly promoting toxic material?

In summer 2019, a new Facebook user named Carol Smith signed up for the platform, describing herself as a politically conservative mother from Wilmington, North Carolina. Smith’s account indicated an interest in politics, parenting and Christianity and followed a few of her favorite brands, including Fox News and then-President Donald Trump.

Though Smith had never expressed interest in conspiracy theories, in just two days Facebook was recommending she join groups dedicated to QAnon, a sprawling and baseless conspiracy theory and movement that claimed Trump was secretly saving the world from a cabal of pedophiles and Satanists.

Smith didn’t follow the recommended QAnon groups, but whatever algorithm Facebook was using to determine how she should engage with the platform pushed ahead just the same. Within one week, Smith’s feed was full of groups and pages that had violated Facebook’s own rules, including those against hate speech and disinformation.
Smith wasn’t a real person. A researcher employed by Facebook invented the account, along with those of other fictitious “test users” in 2019 and 2020, as part of an experiment in studying the platform’s role in misinforming and polarizing users through its recommendations systems.

That researcher said Smith’s Facebook experience was “a barrage of extreme, conspiratorial, and graphic content.”

The body of research consistently found Facebook pushed some users into “rabbit holes,” increasingly narrow echo chambers where violent conspiracy theories thrived. People radicalized through these rabbit holes make up a small slice of total users, but at Facebook’s scale, that can mean millions of individuals.

I just don't see how this ends well. A free and open society requires responsibility from news and citizens. Citizens cannot make correct choices if the media they consume is garbage.

Rogan's audience is entirely (in Australia) young white middle class wankers, advertisers love that demographic....
I think that's a major problem here in America too. We have an abundance of comfortable, affluent, and bored middle class (white) people who are looking for meaning in their lives. It's why they've found such a home in Qanon, Trumpism, anti-vax crusades, and now book banning. They no longer have the Cold War or War on Terror to entertain themselves with. Now, it's culture war issues 24/7.

Now, it's culture war issues 24/7.
You wrote that line in this thread you started to attack the platform of someone you admitted earlier that you've never even listened to. In terms of percentage of posts by user devoted to political/culture war issues as opposed to sports, music, movies, restaurants, etc., I don't know that there is a bigger culture warrior on JF than you. One Brow will argue more but he'll argue on any topic. I think he just likes the point and counter point of the debate. I'm not saying it is a bad thing that practically all of your posts are laser focused on message to fighting the culture war but do find humor in you decrying "culture war issues 24/7".

I'm also more progressive than The Thriller.
If you say so I won't doubt it. You'll also talk to anybody which I think is admirable and sadly not the majority position among self-identified progressives. I think if Tucker Carlson rang you up to fill 5 minutes on his show you'd take the opportunity in a heartbeat even if it was only to tell him how punchable you thought his face was on air. If that same call came in to The Thriller I think he'd throw his phone in the trash and buy a new phone.

If you say so I won't doubt it. You'll also talk to anybody which I think is admirable and sadly not the majority position among self-identified progressives. I think if Tucker Carlson rang you up to fill 5 minutes on his show you'd take the opportunity in a heartbeat even if it was only to tell him how punchable you thought his face was on air. If that same call came in to The Thriller I think he'd throw his phone in the trash and buy a new phone.
If I did, he would probably cut off everything I had to say, and I'm too polite FtF to try to yell over people. However, I would dialogue with him in a text format, certainly.

For a while, I've been interested in the idea of a public intellectual - a spot filled previously by both Gore Vidal and his nemesis, William F Buckley. There are a few around now, maybe, like Salman Rushdie and Cornell West, but I fear that space is mostly taken up by people who believe in alpha males, people like Rogan and Jordan Peterson, people who try to sound smart without actually giving anything much thought.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using JazzFanz mobile app