What's new

John Collins Hype & Appreciation Thread

HermanG

Collins has bought a house in Draper so it looks like he is here to stay. That also makes more sense now that we know Taylor Hendricks is still raw and will likely take a longer route to rotation/starting than we thought when this trade happened.

The super high flying dunks are gonna happen, but posting his 2022-23 highlights seems wrong as we have been told that he is gonna do a whole bunch of things here that he didnt really get to do in Atlanta. That being said, this short clip below might be a better representation of his future highlights.

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6ry1e159gio

Last edited:
If Collins can have an offensive season similar to 2018-19 to 2021-22 while playing effective defense we'll be fine.

Having Dunn on the floor when Collins is out there is also a good idea. We need defenders when Collins is on the floor.

i had high hopes for TH, in fact i thought he was nba ready. i was wrong and i will now stand in the corner for 5 minutes
No need imo.

I think its a bit sad how in internet behind acronyms its so freaking important who was right or wrong... but in real life we just enjoy discussions with other people. Debating whether X or Y was the right call is fun and all, but the experience turns sour the second we start listing who said X and who said Y.

I'm just here for the Jazz fandom and to debate, speculate and act like a hyperbolic optimist. Plus occasionally slap those who act like a Gradey.

It's 2 years old, but it has to be posted:

Dang. He was way way up there. googling his vertical measurements........

37.5 max vertical. thought it would be better tbh. His length is poor in relation to his height.

As an advocate to the trade at last seasons trade deadline it feels very good to actually have him on the team. The craziest part is he was basically free and we got rid of Gay. Insane stuff.
We always need to remember that one great thing about this deal is that we never have to watch Rudy Gay play basketball. We could have just cut him but the temptation to keep that expiring contract would have been there.

He's actually looked good. He is shooting with confidence and is doing some stuff with the ball I liked. When I watched him with the ball in Atlanta it would go poorly but I also think if you haven't touched the ball in 3-4 possessions sometimes you make selfish choices or are out of rhythm.

I'm more hopeful for him... we won't see 20/10 JC but if we see a better version of what we've seen the last couple years that will be a net gain. All the reports about him out of Atlanta were that he's a great teammate so he fits the culture. TH being further away than we hoped makes this a less tenuous situation as well.

Dang. He was way way up there. googling his vertical measurements........

37.5 max vertical. thought it would be better tbh. His length is poor in relation to his height.
Ther is also a difference between doing it in a draft measurements setting and functional athleticism. John is high on the functional side.

Every year they say it and every year it proves to be true with the vast majority of rookies. And yet fans are still sure the rooks need lots of minutes.
Unfortunately true. There are roughly 4-7 guys who range from perennial quality starters to superstars in each draft, and then 4-7 more guys who have a long NBA career as solid to good role players.

The other 46-52 player drafted turn into trash in one way or another.

However fans want to see the young guys because they dont get access to practices and dont always trust their coaches either.

The greatest thing about Collins is that he is the kind of player you should probably give up some of our assets for. And we didn't, unless you count that late 2nd rounder as an asset.

Whatever people thought about that Laker's pick trade, getting back Collins for Gay and the extra salary slot we created by dumping salary more than put us back into the black.

He had zero assists against the Magic. I also think his 49% shooting should be far better than it is for someone playing his position.

An unbelievably bad trade by DA.

Been happy with his progress. Has looked better by the day and he is finding offense within the flow of the game.

If we only had better guard play and JC/Lauri got more touches, they could be averaging insane combined numbers.
It’s a work in progress but I have no doubt that we’ll eventually get there.

Had some concerns coming in, particularly that finger issue. Everything seems fine and he’s exceeded my expectations thus far. Love the fit and the way that he’s fallen in with these guys.

I might have some deep seated resentment if I was a Hawks fan not a Jazz fan.