What's new

John Stockton believes Trey Burke's injury might be a blessing in disguise

Jeditiger

Hoppy Goodness
Contributor
“I know my first years sitting on the bench largely behind Rickey Green was a great learning tool for me," Stockton said. "(I) would recommend that for young guards, especially if teams can manage to do it … sit some of these highly valued guys coming out, give them a chance to see how the team works without being stuck in the fray."

https://tinyurl.com/mku8gnd

Does Jazzfanz embrace Stock's "sit 'em" philosophy?

https://tinyurl.com/mku8gnd

Does Jazzfanz embrace Stock's "sit 'em" philosophy?

Stockton has no idea how good he would have been or how good the Jazz would have been if he had started from day one. It's entirely possible he's an all-star as rookie and the Jazz start contending earlier and maybe even get a shot at a title in the late 80s/early 90s with more time and experience contending in the playoffs. The Jazz were 41-41 and 42-40 in Stockton's first two seasons coming off the bench.

I don't know if I entirely embrace it. I think it depends on if the player is ready physically and what options a team has. It was easier for the Jazz when Stockton played because they had an all-star in Rick Green. Jazz were also worried if Stockton would hold up physically. I did not agree with it when Sloan started Palacio over DW. Williams was a #3 pick who was ready physically to start and he was WAY better than any PG on the roster.

However, in the case of Burke. Yes I think it has helped him if he used the time to learn and if he was being coached during this time. The biggest reason why I think Burke's injury helped him has to do with lowering the pressure on him. With all the excitement regarding drafting him, he was pressing and his poor summer league performance just added to it and some fans had already turned on him. Now weeks have gone by and the PG play has been horrendous so I believe the fans will be happy and excited for his return. Now the pressure can return if he doesn't play well but the injury almost gave him a new lease on his basketball life.

On the negative side, sitting has hurt his conditioning and he has to be careful not to overdo it when he gets back.

Great idea. Think of all he could learn by watching Lucas and thinking to himself, "There's something else I shouldn't do." Then again, we've all seen where his mind goes when he's stuck on the bench:
Y7ZWLio.gif

On second thought, I wonder what sort of things I would have been caught doing with my face if someone videoed me watching JL III for hour after hour after hour.

I it possible, very very unlikely granted, that each player is different. I mean probably they are all exactly the same and need exactly the same amounts of PT and observation, but there is an outside chance that each player might need a different approach.

I know, totally insane, amirite?

Great idea. Think of all he could learn by watching Lucas and thinking to himself, "There's something else I shouldn't do." Then again, we've all seen where his mind goes when he's stuck on the bench:
Y7ZWLio.gif

On second thought, I wonder what sort of things I would have been caught doing with my face if someone videoed me watching JL III for hour after hour after hour.

Is that arousing to anyone else....I mean besides frank?

I don't know if I entirely embrace it. I think it depends on if the player is ready physically and what options a team has. It was easier for the Jazz when Stockton played because they had an all-star in Rick Green. Jazz were also worried if Stockton would hold up physically. I did not agree with it when Sloan started Palacio over DW. Williams was a #3 pick who was ready physically to start and he was WAY better than any PG on the roster.

However, in the case of Burke. Yes I think it has helped him if he used the time to learn and if he was being coached during this time. The biggest reason why I think Burke's injury helped him has to do with lowering the pressure on him. With all the excitement regarding drafting him, he was pressing and his poor summer league performance just added to it and some fans had already turned on him. Now weeks have gone by and the PG play has been horrendous so I believe the fans will be happy and excited for his return. Now the pressure can return if he doesn't play well but the injury almost gave him a new lease on his basketball life.

On the negative side, sitting has hurt his conditioning and he has to be careful not to overdo it when he gets back.
Excellent points. Repped.

The difference is that Stockton was playing behind a really good PG. Trey would be sitting behind a D-league guy and a total scrub in Lucas.
Green had things he could teach Stockton while he was watching him. What can Lucas and Garrett teach Trey by watching them play? Not much.

I only have a couple comments. First, "see how the team works"? How, exactly, does this team work? I agree that Burke sitting out for a while is good for the team, but for different reasons.

The difference is that Stockton was playing behind a really good PG. Trey would be sitting behind a D-league guy and a total scrub in Lucas.
Green had things he could teach Stockton while he was watching him. What can Lucas and Garrett teach Trey by watching them play? Not much.

they can teach a tremendous amount, and it is a very simple lesson. 'what ever i see lucas do, do the opposite'

Y7ZWLio.gif

There are other point guards in the games. Tony Parker for instance.

Y7ZWLio.gif

I have never seen anyone that focused before. He is practicing to become the next Michael Jordan, srsly.

michael-jordan-tongue.jpg

Just hope he is not as "focused" as this kid.

daya_310812_nayak1.jpg