What's new

John Stockton believes Trey Burke's injury might be a blessing in disguise

I think the best thing is that it cant really get worse once burke comes back. If we had had this start with burke, the blame and pressure on him would have been intense. Instead, we were able to blame tinsley and jl.

This is a situation filled with variables mostly because some players can learn much more by observing than others can. I'm guessing Stockton was high on the list. Hopefully Burke is too

Trey Burke looks more like Jacque Vaughn than John Stockton.

I'm not even sure he will be able to create for himself or others. He appeared in the summer league and preseason to merely bounce off defenders and never actually created anything (like Vaughn).

So whatever. Watching film might help. But I fear his lack of size and athleticism will negate all the hours of studying the game.

I have never seen anyone that focused before. He is practicing to become the next Michael Jordan, srsly.

michael-jordan-tongue.jpg

Just hope he is not as "focused" as this kid.

daya_310812_nayak1.jpg
I hope you're on to something here, but it concerns me that Burke seems to be having a serious problem emulating that Jordan tongue action. An invisible defender seems to be pushing his tongue baseline when he ought to be letting that licker of his take over the middle of the floor. I guess it's pretty fortunate that he has so much time on the sidelines to practice.

Frankly (and I really hate to say this) that dude in your final photo looks like he's a lot closer to emulating the Jordan tongue action than our rookie point guard is.

Great idea. Think of all he could learn by watching Lucas and thinking to himself, "There's something else I shouldn't do." Then again, we've all seen where his mind goes when he's stuck on the bench:
Y7ZWLio.gif

On second thought, I wonder what sort of things I would have been caught doing with my face if someone videoed me watching JL III for hour after hour after hour.

Must've had some mustard on the side of his mouth.

For sure Burke is gonna be better PG than the Lucas and Burks but no need to overrate and count him as he will dominate once he recovers from the injury. He's gonna need time to adoptate the NBA tempo, physical and mental situation.

I don't know if I entirely embrace it. I think it depends on if the player is ready physically and what options a team has. It was easier for the Jazz when Stockton played because they had an all-star in Rick Green. Jazz were also worried if Stockton would hold up physically. I did not agree with it when Sloan started Palacio over DW. Williams was a #3 pick who was ready physically to start and he was WAY better than any PG on the roster.

However, in the case of Burke. Yes I think it has helped him if he used the time to learn and if he was being coached during this time. The biggest reason why I think Burke's injury helped him has to do with lowering the pressure on him. With all the excitement regarding drafting him, he was pressing and his poor summer league performance just added to it and some fans had already turned on him. Now weeks have gone by and the PG play has been horrendous so I believe the fans will be happy and excited for his return. Now the pressure can return if he doesn't play well but the injury almost gave him a new lease on his basketball life.

On the negative side, sitting has hurt his conditioning and he has to be careful not to overdo it when he gets back.

Lots of good stuff here. Especially the lowering pressure. Good point.

This is a situation filled with variables mostly because some players can learn much more by observing than others can. I'm guessing Stockton was high on the list. Hopefully Burke is too

From what Burke has said in interviews it sounds like he's a great a learner and takes everything in.

I think the best thing is that it cant really get worse once burke comes back. If we had had this start with burke, the blame and pressure on him would have been intense. Instead, we were able to blame tinsley and jl.

This too.

Stockton has no idea how good he would have been or how good the Jazz would have been if he had started from day one. It's entirely possible he's an all-star as rookie and the Jazz start contending earlier and maybe even get a shot at a title in the late 80s/early 90s with more time and experience contending in the playoffs. The Jazz were 41-41 and 42-40 in Stockton's first two seasons coming off the bench.

If anyone has an idea of how good Stockton would have been, it would be Stockton.

The difference is that Stockton was playing behind a really good PG. Trey would be sitting behind a D-league guy and a total scrub in Lucas.
Green had things he could teach Stockton while he was watching him. What can Lucas and Garrett teach Trey by watching them play? Not much.

It's not about what he can learn from Lucas, plus there's a lot of other good nba pg's he can watch and learn from. It's about getting a perspective obout the speed of the nba his teamates and getting his feet under him and being prepared to play in this league. For example... D-Will wasn't playing well, got benched, sat a while watching a scrub play ahead of him, gets a guy hungry, and motivates people to rededicate. I think Burke is more ready now for what the nba has to offer a small pg. to think that Stockton was ready to be an Allstar rookie is ridiculous.

https://tinyurl.com/mku8gnd

Does Jazzfanz embrace Stock's "sit 'em" philosophy?

Absolutely. More, were I Philly, I'd sit MCW down right away as he obviously needs the time on the bench to figure out the pro game.:rolleyes:

Can't we agree on the self-evident: that IT DEPENDS on the person and the situation. Some people are not ready to be thrown into the fray and are probably better off sitting and learning, while others are ready and better off playing right away. In other cases, the team needs the person playing right away, while in other cases, the team can afford to ease the person in. There is no one size fits all, not in this situation, and not just about in every other situation out there.

It's not about what he can learn from Lucas, plus there's a lot of other good nba pg's he can watch and learn from. It's about getting a perspective obout the speed of the nba his teamates and getting his feet under him and being prepared to play in this league. For example... D-Will wasn't playing well, got benched, sat a while watching a scrub play ahead of him, gets a guy hungry, and motivates people to rededicate. I think Burke is more ready now for what the nba has to offer a small pg. to think that Stockton was ready to be an Allstar rookie is ridiculous.

Or at least Trey can develop some really neat tongue moves for the ladies while he is gaining all that invaluable knowledge "watching" the games.

Logic

Can't we agree on the self-evident: that IT DEPENDS on the person and the situation. Some people are not ready to be thrown into the fray and are probably better off sitting and learning, while others are ready and better off playing right away. In other cases, the team needs the person playing right away, while in other cases, the team can afford to ease the person in. There is no one size fits all, not in this situation, and not just about in every other situation out there.

This is entirely too sensible. You've got to understand that the world is full of black and white issues, no room for gray. Don't be a wimp, take a stand, not a nuanced and thoughtful position.

You are lucky I did not neg rep.