What's new

Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert to hold rally in D.C.

sarah_palin_bikini1.jpg

Fredom, libertee, i hate muslem sosialists!

Wow, that's a sweet little Crossman 10-pump pellet gun. Pretty intimidating. "Stay back or I'll have to...one, two, three, four,...shoot...five, six, seven,...you...eight, nine, ten. So watch out!"

I'm still having an impossibly hard time believing that you both UNDERSTAND what each of these guys is doing and STILL GENUINELY LIKE all three. I know you claim to not be too familiar with them, but please tell me how this is possible.

For me to actually care about Stewart's/Colbert's political views you would have to convince me that those guys were even the least bit powerful. I don't take those guys seriously as political commentators, but I enjoy their humor. Beck's a giant, those guys together can't sniff his jock.

? Was that supposed to be crazy? Never saw the segment, nor do I know what Beck thinks about the Rockefellers, but that's not crazy. Go read up on the Rockefeller family and trace back their money trail if you want to see crazy.

In all actuality I do think Beck believes in some of the stuff that he says he doesn't just because he knows what his limits of appeal are. He would alienate a lot of people that like him right now if he said he believed in 9/11 truth for instance.

For me to actually care about Stewart's/Colbert's political views you would have to convince me that those guys were even the least bit powerful. I don't take those guys seriously as political commentators, but I enjoy their humor. Beck's a giant, those guys together can't sniff his jock.

This is pure conjecture on your part, and I think it is debatable; sheer magnitude of distracting energy (a la Beck) does not equal power. But, whether or not this is true, it should be noted that Beck is dedicating his life and his message to being A GIANT (as you say), whereas Stewart-Colbert are very self-aware in their role as comedians.

Also of note: if you take Stewart-Colbert as lightly as you do, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are not giving them their due. They are more powerful than you think.

I can't find the information right now, but at one point Colbert was almost literally controlling the buzzwords of the news cycle. He used an identifiable phrase similar to "angry populist mob" in a show's skit (in connection with Obama's campaigning), and that phrase went on to become the catch phrase of the news cycle, with more word matches than any other descriptor over the course of 2-3 weeks. There is an article somewhere that explains this better. No time to find it.

Lastly, how are you measuring Beck's power? What results are you citing?

The article is very specific that the Parks Service no longer provides estimates after the Million Man March. If he claimed to have an estimate from them he's either lying or it's an unofficial estimate from an individual who works for the Parks Service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Man_March#Crowd_size_controversy

As far as I can tell the sole exception was that Dan Bana offered an estimate of 1.8 million for the Obama inauguration. It's unclear if that was an official estimate or not.

This article, https://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk/...te-crowd-size-glenn-becks-or-otherwi/19613962 , indicates one Parks official (unnamed) gave an unoffical estimate of 300,000. It makes no mention of aerial photographs being used in the process and points out that's the exact number listed on the permit request by Beck (so he may merely have been stating the expected number as his unofficial estimate).

Do you have any evidence that Beck paid for his own set of aerial photos and had those photos estimated? Or any evidence that AirPhotosLive made an erroneous estimate of the Obama inauguration? Or are you just pulling arguments from your ***?

Lawyer boy, isn't your whole job purely reading? I never said any of the things you expounded on.

1) I said that they gave him an estimate of specific areas of what the Mall can hold generally and his people did the math. That's what we call capacity. Not that they gave him an estimate for the entire event.

Source: The Glenn Beck Show either August 30th or 31st. Look it up in the archives if you care so much.

2) I never said that Jeff's Airplane Estimates had anything do with the Obama's crowd estimates either. I simply stated that if you look at photos from both events, that either the extreme of Obama's estimates(1.8 million) or Beck's has to be off logically if you are going to buy into the 80,000 number. Obama didn't have 22 times the number of people than Beck's rally and that is clearly evident to any average joe that looks at the same photos of the Mall area. It was significantly bigger, but probably more in the range of 3-6 times. And since I tend to believe that the Obama numbers were indeed in the mid one millions based on several human traffic statistics, it's a reasonable assumption that Beck had significantly more than 80,000.

Buy hey, if that doesn't work for your brain, I'm okay with that.

Last edited:
This is pure conjecture on your part, and I think it is debatable; sheer magnitude of distracting energy (a la Beck) does not equal power. But, whether or not this is true, it should be noted that Beck is dedicating his life and his message to being A GIANT (as you say), whereas Stewart-Colbert are very self-aware in their role as comedians.

Also of note: if you take Stewart-Colbert as lightly as you do, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are not giving them their due. They are more powerful than you think.

I can't find the information right now, but at one point Colbert was almost literally controlling the buzzwords of the news cycle. He used an identifiable phrase similar to "angry populist mob" in a show's skit (in connection with Obama's campaigning), and that phrase went on to become the catch phrase of the news cycle, with more word matches than any other descriptor over the course of 2-3 weeks. There is an article somewhere that explains this better. No time to find it.

Lastly, how are you measuring Beck's power? What results are you citing?

Hey Duckman, see above.

Hey Duckman, see above.

I saw it, just nothing to add really. I think the topic speaks for itself. If Beck wasn't powerful, why the constant media hubbub...why the mock rallies? I really don't think any other media personality could have put together a rally like Beck's, but yes, that surely is just my own thoughts. Maybe when somebody else in a similar position has the stones to try and hold a serious rally, we can make the comparison. But I'm under the impression that what just happened was pretty unique.

I saw it, just nothing to add really. I think the topic speaks for itself. If Beck wasn't powerful, why the constant media hubbub...why the mock rallies? I really don't think any other media personality could have put together a rally like Beck's, but yes, that surely is just my own thoughts. Maybe when somebody else in a similar position has the stones to try and hold a serious rally, we can make the comparison. But I'm under the impression that what just happened was pretty unique.

Beck isn't powerful, he's annoying as hell.

As Jazzfans, we've made fun of Kmart more than most players. That doesn't mean he's any good or powerful. It means he sucks and it's just too easy to make fun of that bad a yella boy.

Beck isn't powerful, he's annoying as hell.

I'm sure you were saying the same thing about the Tea Party on 4/15/09 and look where we are at now. If things are happening in front of your face, you probably should acknowledge them. You don't have to like them, but just project a little. It's not a bad thing to take current events and speculate on future trends like some in the media make you think.

I'm sure you were saying the same thing about the Tea Party on 4/15/09 and look where we are at now. If things are happening in front of your face, you probably should acknowledge them. You don't have to like them, but just project a little. It's not a bad thing to take current events and speculate on future trends like some in the media make you think.

What has the Tea Party done again? are you talking about those 2-3 incumbents they ousted that even the Republican Party refuses to support? Ummmm ousting incumbents when the economy is bad isn't difficult to do.

I'm still waiting for this revolution that their handful of supporters keep talking about.

And what the Tea Party has to do with Beck is beyond me. Beck is annoying as hell. Your view that he's powerful says a lot.

Lawyer boy, isn't your whole job purely reading? I never said any of the things you expounded on.

Uniformly, the next step after you've been shown to be wrong about the facts is to then claim that you never said any of those things in the first place. Unfortunately for you, we have a written record.

You twice said that Beck had his own photos taken and had them estimated.

First,

that's why Beck went out of his way to make sure he had photographs from his rally last month from all angles this time around so that when ABC news comes out and says only 80,000 were there, like they did, you know not to take them seriously on any estimates in the future because it's not even in the ballpark.

Then, after I challenged you on that point you wrote

Like I said, Beck paid for his own set of photos. He then got the estimates from the land authority( or whoever the hell is in charge of the National Mall).

So yes you did say those things. To date, neither the assertion that he had his own photos taken or that he had them estimated has been backed up by you. What we have is an assertion from an unnamed person in the Parks Service, who was clearly not giving an official estimate because the Parks Service stopped giving estimates 15 years ago.

1) I said that they gave him an estimate of specific areas of what the Mall can hold generally and his people did the math. That's what we call capacity. Not that they gave him an estimate for the entire event.

Source: The Glenn Beck Show either August 30th or 31st. Look it up in the archives if you care so much.

That is incorrect. There is no estimate from the Parks Service. This has been covered extensively. The estimate that one individual gave may have been an estimate of the event, although what sources he used to make the estimate were undisclosed, or they may have been based upon the anticipated crowd of 300,000 stated on Beck's permit request.

2) I never said that Jeff's Airplane Estimates had anything do with the Obama's crowd estimates either. I simply stated that if you look at photos from both events, that either the extreme of Obama's estimates(1.8 million) or Beck's has to be off logically if you are going to buy into the 80,000 number. Obama didn't have 22 times the number of people than Beck's rally and that is clearly evident to any average joe that looks at the same photos of the Mall area. It was significantly bigger, but probably more in the range of 3-6 times. And since I tend to believe that the Obama numbers were indeed in the mid one millions based on several human traffic statistics, it's a reasonable assumption that Beck had significantly more than 80,000.

Here's a blog entry by one of the people who estimated crowds for both the Obama inauguration and Beck's rally based upon satellite and aerial photos. He places the respective numbers at 800,000 and 80,000 attendees.

https://stevedoig.com/archives/250

Let's be clear here, all the estimates of 300,000 or more are from sources that were interested in inflating the number. Estimates with people from no interest are in the 80,000 range.

This thread has morphed into a huge plate of crow... served especially to Duck Rogers.

A.....no. The whole thing was a ****ing joke, just like I said it would be.

I know, lil' dude, it is a tough pill to swallow.... but when Stew has an exclusive interview with the president and a massively attended rally in DC in the same week (which, btw, is said to have bigger than Beck's), then you can't go around blabbing about how Stew is inconsequential to your bully-boy Beck. Sorry.

I know, lil' dude, it is a tough pill to swallow.... but when Stew has an exclusive interview with the president and a massively attended rally in DC in the same week (which, btw, is said to have bigger than Beck's), then you can't go around blabbing about how Stew is inconsequential to your bully-boy Beck. Sorry.

And so the resulting outcome is that the Dems are going to swallow seats on Nov. 2 now? Get the **** outta here. It was a bunch of under 30 liberal drones from the "prestigious" universities out East that wanted to party a little that attended that event. I don't know if I've ever mentioned it, but I'm not impressed by those guys. I eat their lunch every day in the markets.

And so the resulting outcome is that the Dems are going to swallow seats on Nov. 2 now? Get the **** outta here. It was a bunch of under 30 liberal drones from the "prestigious" universities out East that wanted to party a little that attended that event. I don't know if I've ever mentioned it, but I'm not impressed by those guys. I eat their lunch every day in the markets.

Watch this, then comment if you like.

https://www.comedycentral.com/video...=363864&title=jon-stewart-moment-of-sincerity

You sound like a self-made douche from hell.