What's new

Jussie Smollet

I would bet there were actual differences in performance by the waiters. Why would anyone complain that the waiter is standing near the cash register if they didn't need anything from him? More likely they were attempting to pay their bill and this particular waiter was either lazy or bad at math or had a sour attitude or did something else that people felt was worth complaining about.

Well, @One Brow just stated that this was coming from the employer who said that the waiter was working just as well as the white employees.

Did you miss that part or basically you think they are full of crap?

Why? There is so very much evidence of this type of bias showing up in studies all over the place, so why do you find this in particular hard to believe?
Do you know anyone who would complain that someone was standing near the cash register if they didn't need anything of him? Have you ever complained (or even felt the need to complain) about something like that?

Do you know anyone who would complain that someone was standing near the cash register if they didn't need anything of him? Have you ever complained (or even felt the need to complain) about something like that?
No and no.
I never complain about anyone in the service industry even if they deserve it. In this case the guy doesn't even seem to deserve it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Every waiter had to make use of the register, and patrons would have to wait for them to perform that duty and other duties (I've never eaten in a restaurant where you get a waiter just for your table). Only the black waiter gets complaints about that.

Believe what you want about it, though.

Every waiter had to make use of the register, and patrons would have to wait for them to perform that duty and other duties (I've never eaten in a restaurant where you get a waiter just for your table). Only the black waiter gets complaints about that.

Believe what you want about it, though.
Customer: Are you the manager?
Manager: Yes sir, can I help you?
Customer: I'd like to register a complaint.
Manager: I'm sorry to hear that. What's the problem?
Customer: See that waiter over there? He's just standing around the cash register.
Manager: Yes, I see him. What's the problem?
Customer: I already told you.
Manager: I'm sorry, somehow I missed it. Could you repeat?
Customer: He's just standing around the cash register.
Manager: Why does that concern you?
Customer: Well... I'm just not sure you're getting your money's worth.
Manager: Okay. Thanks for looking out for our bottom line. You'll probably be happy to hear that he's primarily paid in tips.His customers give him money based on their impression of the quality of his service. If they don't like the job he's doing he won't earn enough and eventually he'll probably quit.

I work in a customer service position and I will tell you straight up that people bitch about things like that all the time. It is a very common occurance. Not sure how much race or gender or anything plays into that but the complaints absolutely happen.

I work in a customer service position and I will tell you straight up that people bitch about things like that all the time. It is a very common occurance. Not sure how much race or gender or anything plays into that but the complaints absolutely happen.
Wow, some people are apparently jerks. I could not imagine complaining about something like that.

I recently read an account from a restaurant manage who had hired a black waiter to the mostly-white staff. He noticed that there was a considerably higher rates of complaint made on this waiter, despite the waiter doing their job jest as well. For example, when the waiter was working with the register, patrons would complain he was just standing around. This didn't happen when the white waiters worked at the register.

Yeah, I remember that...

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/24/whit...ike-after-employing-black-waiter-8997620/amp/

Wow, some people are apparently jerks. I could not imagine complaining about something like that.

People are much nicer when they get their way. Tell someone no or inconvenience them in some way, waiting time is a perfect example, and they turn into assholes real fast.

Yes, people who subconsciously think black people are lazy.

People are much nicer when they get their way. Tell someone no or inconvenience them in some way, waiting time is a perfect example, and they turn into assholes real fast.

Well, if you guys would stop screwing up my drive thru order I wouldnt be dick.

Its not that hard. Look at the order, fill the bag with items listed. Include napkins and hot sauce. Its not rocket science.

Well, if you guys would stop screwing up my drive thru orde I wouldnt be dick.

Its not that hard. Look at the order, fill the bag with items listed. Include napkins and hot sauce. Its not rocket science.

It’s on purpose you dunce. They spit in it on purpose. They can sense douche when they meet it.

I make more than minimum wage. Think “basic language training”.