What's new

Kanter / Favors

SP_Eagle

So I was curious, between Kanter and Favors who will play more 5, who will play more 4? They are both new assumed starters, right?

For me Favors at 5 and Kanter at 4 due to his better face up game and shooting ability.

Sorry if this has been discussed already

Every time this is discussed the majority says "it doesn't matter they are interchangeable"

Which is true. It really comes down to defense...which they both can defend centers and forwards.

What will be interesting will be the subsitutions. Will Evans be first off the bench as a PF?.... or will Gobert/Beidrins come in as the C?

I think Gobert will come in first for Kanter, sliding Favors to "PF" if he wasn't already there. Evans will come in at the start of quarter two for Favors. At the 6 minute mark both Kanter and Favors will return for the rest of the half. I don't know if Biedrins gets minutes at all, he is a 30% foul shooter and averages 2 points per 36. You cannot be that offensively useless in todays NBA with the zone in play, you just can't.

I think that favors' speed makes him a better candidate for the 4 and Kanter's strength for the 5 at least on the defensive side. On offense I dont think it matter much. Kanter likely has the better pick and pop skill but favors the pick and roll. Not sure about passing on either.

I think that favors' speed makes him a better candidate for the 4 and Kanter's strength for the 5 at least on the defensive side. On offense I dont think it matter much. Kanter likely has the better pick and pop skill but favors the pick and roll. Not sure about passing on either.

Disagree with the premise that Kanter and Favors are similar offensively. Favors hasn't given us good reason to think he can consistently hit a shot away from the rim.

I think Kanter and Favors are pretty interchangeable on offense. This could cause a lot of matchup problems because if they try to go small on Kanter to counter his range, he is going to demolish them in the post. If they go small on Favors he'll be dunking on dudes all night while their other big is pulled away from the basket by Kanter.

Favors will likely guard the more mobile big on the other team, but Favors needs to work on guarding stretch 4s. Both defend the P&R pretty well. I honestly think they can both play either position on both sides of the ball. Man I'm pumped for this season... I can't wait to watch this.

THe thing is: How many Center in the league do have a good offensive back to the basket game? Having ,tall, lanky, athletic and leaping Centers is way more efficient as of now. Kanter is a good PnR defender and surprisingly mobile away from the basket. Better fit imo

THe thing is: How many Center in the league do have a good offensive back to the basket game? Having ,tall, lanky, athletic and leaping Centers is way more efficient as of now. Kanter is a good PnR defender and surprisingly mobile away from the basket. Better fit imo

To be honest this scares me a bit. I actually think he needs to work on his PnR defense and getting back to his man. Although faster than big Al was, he still had many moments when he was caught in no mans land this season.

Also, I think Favors needs to play PF. If we can get Kanter to keep knocking down that jumper and keeping the opposing center honest. It should open up the lane for the likes of Burks & Burkse to attack the rim.

To be honest this scares me a bit. I actually think he needs to work on his PnR defense and getting back to his man. Although faster than big Al was, he still had many moments when he was caught in no mans land this season.

Also, I think Favors needs to play PF. If we can get Kanter to keep knocking down that jumper and keeping the opposing center honest. It should open up the lane for the likes of Burks & Burkse to attack the rim.

Well agree to disagree. I have just seen a video yesterday that said that when Kanter is guarding the PnR opposite player turn it over 24% of the time and the FG% was like 35%

precisely

I think that favors' speed makes him a better candidate for the 4 and Kanter's strength for the 5 at least on the defensive side. On offense I dont think it matter much. Kanter likely has the better pick and pop skill but favors the pick and roll.

this

Well agree to disagree. I have just seen a video yesterday that said that when Kanter is guarding the PnR opposite player turn it over 24% of the time and the FG% was like 35%

Those stats are encouraging, but I dont think the sample size is very high. In addition it was most often against second string guys.

arbitrary on offense

Disagree with the premise that Kanter and Favors are similar offensively. Favors hasn't given us good reason to think he can consistently hit a shot away from the rim.

defending karad, he did not say they are similar offensively (in fact he points out a difference). I think he is implying (and I agree) that it doesn't matter who you call the 4 and who you call the 5. When Duncan runs the pick/roll or pick/pop, who cares if he is a 4 or a 5, he is the guy playing high post and setting the pick.

Disagree. I don't think Kanter's only game is low post. He has more range than AJ and a better shot. He is not as slow as AJ, not after all the conditioning he did last summer. His low post game will create chances for Hayward, Clark and Rush for spot-up 3s and His mid or 3pt range game will open up the game for Burks and Hayward to take it inside.

Disagree. I don't think Kanter's only game is low post. He has more range than AJ and a better shot. He is not as slow as AJ, not after all the conditioning he did last summer. His low post game will create chances for Hayward, Clark and Rush for spot-up 3s and His mid or 3pt range game will open up the game for Burks and Hayward to take it inside.

You know that I was speaking about defense while you're clearly discussing offense...NO offense, but I assign positions by defensive capabilities. And Kanter's combination of size, weight and quickness would be completely useless at the 5, since there's only like 2 Center in the league who have solid back to the basket game.

You know that I was speaking about defense while you're clearly discussing offense...NO offense, but I assign positions by defensive capabilities. And Kanter's combination of size, weight and quickness would be completely useless at the 5, since there's only like 2 Center in the league who have solid back to the basket game.

Ah ok... I misunderstood. Defensively, I think Favors would be better than Kanter both in protecting the rim and defending the PNR but I would feel safer with Favors in the paint. Kanter and Favors can change places if there is a low post threat.

I'm in the "who cares"/it doesn't make any difference camp. It's just nice to have two competent players who can play the 5 effectively on defense.

Yep defensively would be why you may call one the C or the other the PF and I would prefer to keep Favors close to the basket when possible to help deter shots/drives to the basket.