What's new

Keyonte George Hype & Appreciation Thread

same. i will turn it over to other nba games or nfl, college fb/bb, when i know George will be sitting for a stretch. tht, clarkson, olynyk, are insufferable to watch.
Dude had literally been the saving grace of this season and nearly the sole reason I keep watching

Key's main downside is a lack of strength. He looks a lil thin out there when he's driving into the trees.

His shot -- mechanics, confidence -- are excellent. Capable passer, smart player who really cares. He lacks strength on drives (always looks like he's gonna break a limb in there). Once the drives start going his midrange will open up. He's 10-15lb of muscle away from being a consistent all-star threat

- George

Key's main downside is a lack of strength. He looks a lil thin out there when he's driving into the trees.

His shot -- mechanics, confidence -- are excellent. Capable passer, smart player who really cares. He lacks strength on drives (always looks like he's gonna break a limb in there). Once the drives start going his midrange will open up. He's 10-15lb of muscle away from being a consistent all-star threat

- George

He lost a ton of weight after college to get down to an nba weight so I’m sure he’s trying to rebuild that mass in muscle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This hasn't been bumped? Kid grew into a man last night. Had the confidence to go at anyone. He's a hell of a talent.

This hasn't been bumped? Kid grew into a man last night. Had the confidence to go at anyone. He's a hell of a talent.
The truth is that all the numbers still point to Keyonte being one of the worst rotation players – if not THE worst – so far. His shooting percentages are off-the-scale horrible and he's at the bottom of the barrel in all the most important defensive metrics, together with Clarkson and Sexton.

Now, the fact that he's a rookie combo guard playing the most difficult position in the league means that I'm not gonna get that down on him at this point. He'll learn and improve. But I'm pumping the brakes on calling him the surefire starting PG of the future or a #1 building block.

The truth is that all the numbers still point to Keyonte being one of the worst rotation players – if not THE worst – so far. His shooting percentages are off-the-scale horrible and he's at the bottom of the barrel in all the most important defensive metrics, together with Clarkson and Sexton.

Now, the fact that he's a rookie combo guard playing the most difficult position in the league means that I'm not gonna get that down on him at this point. He'll learn and improve. But I'm pumping the brakes on calling him the surefire starting PG of the future or a #1 building block.

His shooting will most likely improve, it's not like he's missing badly(except off the glass while driving) or taking bad shots he just isn't there yet. He showed us he could play in control at PG when just focused on distribution. The AST/TO ratio at that point was exceptional, if we could shoot well his AST numbers would have been exceptional. Lately with the green light he's doing a pretty good job. The three isn't dropping but last nights performance showed he can drive and score or draw a foul. The eye test shows he is confident, can put himself anywhere on the court and generally makes good passes, even if we don't convert wide open looks. Most importantly his timing is really good and if we were a good team he would look a lot better. On defense he looks pretty good at times but it's obvious his focus is on offense. He's not going to have it all instantly. Considering his age and experience he's a pretty stellar talent, let's hope he gets better at shooting.

His shooting will most likely improve
He has to. His shooting percentage is the worst in the league by a fine margin for players with significant minutes/volume at 34.7%. Leagues average is like 44% so he's shooting a whopping 10% below the leagues average. Shooting this poorly simply negates everything else he does on the court. Not to mention he also happened to be one of the leagues worst defenders. I mean people wrote Kilian Hayes off and labeled him a bust everywhere on the internet when he was also like 20 yrs old(still just 22 today) and even he shot a higher percentage while being a much better defender.

He has to. His shooting percentage is the worst in the league by a fine margin for players with significant minutes/volume at 34.7%. Leagues average is like 44% so he's shooting a whopping 10% below the leagues average. Shooting this poorly simply negates everything else he does on the court. Not to mention he also happened to be one of the leagues worst defenders. I mean people wrote Kilian Hayes off and labeled him a bust everywhere on the internet when he was also like 20 yrs old(still just 22 today) and even he shot a higher percentage while being a much better defender.
His form is fine and we saw him shoot a good percentage in summer league. Its the passing that was in question - the shooting will improve dramatically as he settles into his other, more important, jobs.

His form is fine and we saw him shoot a good percentage in summer league. Its the passing that was in question - the shooting will improve dramatically as he settles into his other, more important, jobs.
I really struggle with this. I really hope he’s a decent shooter but looking good can only count for so much when there isn’t much following that’s concrete. When we drafted him, I was surprised when I looked at his shooting percentages and not hearing anyone reflect that as a concern. I believe maybe it was dismissed because he was taking difficult shots. Anyway, the sub-40 percentage made me nervous. He shot well in three games in Vegas (52.3% and 44.4% from three) but shot poorly in the three games in Salt Lake (37.8% and 29.4% from three). It’s early in the season and he’s a rookie but at some point we have to admit that we have no track record to reference other than it looking good.

I hope the shots drop but right now I’m cautious on how much weight I give to the motion.

@Tremendous Upside and @jom2003 if you had to make a call, would you say Keyonte George is going to be a good 3PT shooter in the NBA or not?

You are here painting a negative picture, and I want to see what you truely believe. Its easy to hide behind stats and say "this is what it currently is" (a child can do this), but make a proper analysis and give me your best arguments.

@Tremendous Upside and @jom2003 if you had to make a call, would you say Keyonte George is going to be a good 3PT shooter in the NBA or not?

Forget "good" for now – Keyonte's next goal is to become an average shooter. If he's going to play the point, he has to be someone who can't be ignored on the perimeter and who'll be good enough of a finisher that he'll collapse the defense when he drives into the paint. That's just a prerequisite for doing his main job.

However... we simply don't have that many examples of guys who couldn't shoot in college but became dependable in the NBA. Everything is harder in the League. As I said, I'm not giving up on the kid... that would be stupid. But some things are more probable than others.

I can't see any reason to expect that he'll become a GOOD shooter. That may happen, but it's unlikely.

Mike shoot 43% amd 33% during his rookie year. And then he keep improving all his career. It's all about Basket IQ and for a rookie, i find Keyonte pretty smart already. I'm not worry about his shooting he will improve and become a solid PG in the future.

However... we simply don't have that many examples of guys who couldn't shoot in college but became dependable in the NBA. Everything is harder in the League. As I said, I'm not giving up on the kid... that would be stupid. But some things are more probable than others.
Oh there are plenty of good examples, even among star level players. These guys come to mind as classic examples:
Kawhi shot 25% from 3 and 74.4% from FT line in college. Been a tad bit better in NBA.
Jason Kidd shot like crap in college and as a rookie (including under 70% from FT)
KAT didnt even take 3s in college (was a great FT shooter though)

And just randomly browsing familiar names I see that Mike Conley (shot 30% from 3 and 69% from FT in college) and Jordan Clarkson (averaged 32% from 3 in 4 years of college)

I can't see any reason to expect that he'll become a GOOD shooter. That may happen, but it's unlikely.
You sure? I mean, analyze his form, mechanics, how he sets his feet, balance, release quickness, average margin of error on misses, shot quality and decission making. You might find plenty of reasons for optimism.

I see you just decided to stick to stats. I kinda expected more from you, as you often analyze stuff beyond the box score.