What's new

Keyonte George Hype & Appreciation Thread

I agree he is a bucket getter at heart. But I think his ability to facilitate others will become more important than his scoring as we develop a stronger lineup so he should establish that playing style now. A Stockton-like mentality would be perfect; primarily focusing on making those around him better but still scoring when needed.
one issue with that is that his options are limited. i think you'd see a strong correlation between his assist numbers dropping and Lauri being out of the lineup. with the lineup as it has been constituted, he has to create - and as a creator, he has to be a threat as a scorer. i agree that it may not be ideal, but it's where the jazz are at especially without Lauri in the lineup. he has shown he knows how to be a facilitator so it really isn't an issue of getting used to it or getting practice - he can turn it on when they have a lineup conducive to playing that way.

I agree he is a bucket getter at heart. But I think his ability to facilitate others will become more important than his scoring as we develop a stronger lineup so he should establish that playing style now. A Stockton-like mentality would be perfect; primarily focusing on making those around him better but still scoring when needed.
Stockton was a pretty good scorer, and it helped create openings for other players.

yup and he had guys like Malone and Hornacek to throw it to. Key doesn't have those luxuries.

Yeah but we suck so who cares? In five years I guarantee it will be more important for Key to be a facilitator than primary scorer so he should develop those skills now vs. trying to win games while we would really benefit more in the long run by losing now anyways. Not saying he shouldn't score but don't forget to distribute.

yup and he had guys like Malone and Hornacek to throw it to. Key doesn't have those luxuries.
Yeah, but still back then you could use your facilitating to open up your scoring.

Stockton average within a PPG of his assist average for the first 4 years of his career. You just can't do that in the modern NBA. The scoring opens up the facilitating more than it did back then.

I guess there is a counter-argument to my sentiment in that why not learn to be a primary scorer now while winning isn't really important. But I still would like to see him get 10 AST every once in a while because in the long run he's not going to be a Ja Morant.

Some of you are just flatout stupid. Key's greatest strength is going to be his scoring ability and some of you want him to ignore that. He is showing some nice playmaking chops but he is not likely to ever be an elite playmaker while he definitely has the skillset to be a high level scorer.

Well then I guess it's a good thing he isn't a small combo guard. He is a pg with great size and the skillset to be a very good scorer.
I think Keyonte is literally average sized for a starting PG (maybe slightly below, hard to know for sure because Keyonte will never have official measurements). Definitely not great size.

Some of you are just flatout stupid. Key's greatest strength is going to be his scoring ability and some of you want him to ignore that. He is showing some nice playmaking chops but he is not likely to ever be an elite playmaker while he definitely has the skillset to be a high level scorer.
I think he can be an elite playmaker. Never said he should ignore working on scoring.

Sent from my SM-G986U using JazzFanz mobile app

Yet, he hit 50% on 2s, 38% on 3s, and 84% at the line. He was a threat to score if left alone/lightly guarded, and it helped his passing game.
Stockton was a reluctant shooter. Part of what made him team player great and part what held the team back. He very easily could have been a 25 pt scorer back in the day under similar shooting percentages. Drove me ****ing nuts when he would pass up open shots. One of the weird things about him is he was not a clutch free throw shooter. I would have rather had just about anybody on the free throw line at the end of the game than him. It was a certainly an anomaly.

Focus should be on neither seeking assists nor scoring, but on playing faster, consistently putting pressure on the D, and making good reads and decisions. That could translate to points and assists in all sorts of different ways.
This. I get annoyed that he brings it up and hands off to JC or THT to run an action. Would like to see him bringing it up into a quick action with real intention. I think he is doing well though and easing into things more.

Stockton was a reluctant shooter. Part of what made him team player great and part what held the team back. He very easily could have been a 25 pt scorer back in the day under similar shooting percentages. Drove me ****ing nuts when he would pass up open shots. One of the weird things about him is he was not a clutch free throw shooter. I would have rather had just about anybody on the free throw line at the end of the game than him. It was a certainly an anomaly.
Is there any data on this? There was one of the games in Chicago from the first finals where I remember him missing a free throw, or maybe both, which was painful because it seemed out of character, but beyond that nothing sticks out, though that was a particularly devastating one.

Is there any data on this? There was one of the games in Chicago from the first finals where I remember him missing a free throw, or maybe both, which was painful because it seemed out of character, but beyond that nothing sticks out, though that was a particularly devastating one.
Source; Trust me bro.

It's still a learning process (he's all of 20 years old), but Keyonte has shown enough flashes of both scoring and playmaking to have me pretty excited about his future. Hopefully he'll get more consistent defensively as well.