What's new

KO Trades

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
So I think KO is definitely worth his option price and I think having an extra 12M in space isn’t necessarily something we need or can utilize super effectively… but I do think we could end up acquiring someone that could cut into his PT.

So I wondered… what are some KO trades we might think are out there. I think it may be a good idea to keep him around and into the season as a trade chip/rotation piece/injury insurance.

Let's keep him and make a trade for Scooby Doo. Together they'll be unstoppable.

But seriously, I think he'll be moved to a team who's looking for some financial relief; his shooting is simply icing on the cake. Although he did stink it up at times he did play solid overall and has the numbers to prove it.

Consolidation trade at the deadline. KO + Sexton ~ $30 million to work with. Add draft picks, and that’s the bulk of the salary needed to make a big move. Both guys can play, but had some injury issues to finish out the season.

KO felt like the MVP of the team at some points. I really hope we are able to add a dynamic front court option either in the draft or free agency to mimic what he did but at a higher ability level for defense/rebounding.

KO felt like the MVP of the team at some points. I really hope we are able to add a dynamic front court option either in the draft or free agency to mimic what he did but at a higher ability level for defense/rebounding.
I was hoping for that too, but KO is so unique in what he does that it’s really hard to replace that. 7 foot guys just don’t move, pass or shoot like he does. Having Walker, Kelly and Lauri out on the floor at the same time shouldn’t work. . . but clearly it did quite well. I’m hoping the Jazz can find a guy who can replace that type of fit and production, but the options will be limited.

I was hoping for that too, but KO is so unique in what he does that it’s really hard to replace that. 7 foot guys just don’t move, pass or shoot like he does. Having Walker, Kelly and Lauri out on the floor at the same time shouldn’t work. . . but clearly it did quite well. I’m hoping the Jazz can find a guy who can replace that type of fit and production, but the options will be limited.
I wonder if Leonard Miller could be that guy as he was known as a point forward before the GLeague season.

I think there is some value is swapping out KO for Bruce Brown or maybe Grant Williams. Maybe we draft someone we want to step in immediately.

Here is part of why I was thinking on KO... I think the John Collins trade will be revisited with some cap relief and some draft comp coming back our way. I would think KO would be a good deal for Atlanta but if we assumed JC's whole contract that might be more ideal for them... we could waive KO in that case for some additional cap space but thought... we could also move him separately. So my initial ideas are:

- Something around KO and John Collins
- Something around a sign and trade of Grant Williams for KO (I can't decide on Grant... I think he is good but has some limitations... depends on price and who we draft).
- To San Antonio for a couple seconds - He could be flipped later... vet presence... they have a Collins, Sochan, Wemby... so maybe not but I think he could fit in there.
- KO to Miami for Duncan Robinson and a pick swap of 28 for 19 - Little light for us... doesn't solve all their cap problems but helps.
- KO to Dallas for Bertans and we swap 16 for 10.
- KO to Brooklyn for Joe Harris and a swap of 28 for 21... maybe we can get a second as well... Brooklyn needs to offload some salary.
- KO to Charlotte for some seconds... same concept as SA. Maybe something bigger for Rozier if they draft Scoot... though I'm not sure I want Terry and Collin. Maybe Sexton/KO for Rozier if Charlotte knows he is more likely to accept a bench role... IDK that there is anything there.

I know some were a little skeptical on my KO John Collins trade from last week... but the more appealing route for them might be JC for no returning salary. They can then hunt with the full MLE and a $25M trade exception. If we were able to move KO to a cap space team like SA for seconds we could maybe sweeten the deal for them if they did not want to do the 28 for 15 swap I would require with such a deal. Its a get out of jail free card for them.

For planning purposes I think KO on a one year deal makes sense at his number for them... but maybe they want to go find another MLE type and find a long term deal?

saw one posted online that was to Houston.

Utah Jazz Receive: F Jae’Sean Tate, 2023 First-Round Pick (No. 20 – LAC via HOU)

Houston Rockets Receive: F/C Kelly Olynyk

I mean... I'd do that deal in a nanosecond. I love Tate. Would do that deal straight up.

Utah Jazz Receive: F Jae’Sean Tate, 2023 First-Round Pick (No. 20 – LAC via HOU)

Super easy deal for us, which is why I don't see them doing it. Tate is on a fine contract and I don't see Olynyk having that much value, but it would be cool

Jazz don’t need around the margin trades. Go big or go home. Keep KO until something big opens up and then use his salary as part of that. He clearly has value beyond just an expiring contract.

Don’t know why we would need to S&T for Grant Williams. Jazz have more than enough cap space to make any moves they want in free agency - without giving up assets.

Not sure what the value of John Collins is, but that’s the first move I’d look at, and I’d definitely try to include Rudy Gay’s expiring contract while I’m at it. KO doesn’t really need to be included in that deal tbh.

Jazz don’t need around the margin trades. Go big or go home. Keep KO until something big opens up and then use his salary as part of that. He clearly has value beyond just an expiring contract.

Don’t know why we would need to S&T for Grant Williams. Jazz have more than enough cap space to make any moves they want in free agency - without giving up assets.
This is more of a gift to avoid the restricted FA dance. We might be able to get a second in here. They likely don't want to take a step back but the long term salary Williams gets means he could potentially walk for nothing. They could always match a deal and move him later.

It also means we get Williams and still have a bunch of cap space to play with.

Not sure what the value of John Collins is, but that’s the first move I’d look at, and I’d definitely try to include Rudy Gay’s expiring contract while I’m at it. KO doesn’t really need to be included in that deal tbh.
The big thing on Collins is they need to save as much as possible now and in the future to get some breathing room. I want the swap of 28 for 15 in any Collins deal and I think John's value is quite low.

I went back and looked at his numbers... He had an impressive statistical season. Might just roll with KO. Just wish we had a more long term solution.

Why does Houston do this? Anyway, it’s a no-brainer, but we’d need to seriously consolidate picks somewhere. A good problem to have.

Why does Houston do this? Anyway, it’s a no-brainer, but we’d need to seriously consolidate picks somewhere. A good problem to have.
Kelly was a beast in Houston last time he played for them, so maybe the fans just have really fond memories.

Tate's kind of interesting as a PJ Tucker type, but he can't hit the wide open 3 consistently enough yet.

Totally get it from Houston's perspective in getting a vet on the team, but it would make more sense if it was swapping 28 and 20 w/ some 2nd rounders thrown in?