What's new

Kris Dunn

Garrison Matthews was pretty good last year, but wonder how the new rules affect him. Half the reason he was good is that he jumps forward 72 feet on his jump shot so you can’t contest him without fouling.

I saw that Matthews turned down a Celtics offer of a two way wanting to see if a regular deal opened up. He was the victim of a coaching change with the Wiz.

We have the backcourt situation handled. I feel like we still need to sign a SF who can defend on the perimeter. I don't care if the guy is offensively limited as long as he can perform the former.

PS. Stanley Johnson just got waived and is a good defender (not as good as people thought when he was drafted but still decent). I would much rather have him than Oni.

Garrison Matthews was pretty good last year, but wonder how the new rules affect him. Half the reason he was good is that he jumps forward 72 feet on his jump shot so you can’t contest him without fouling.
You can still jump forward. I think it’s side to side and stopping unnaturally. I think guys like Jae will still get calls when they come forward on their shots.

I’d sign him to a two year minimum deal. I think he is a way better prospect than Matty Ice ever was.

There are a bunch of guys out there that are interesting but I think if Oni made it past last night he sticks around at least for a while.

Looks like Jabari Parker will be waived.

There's gotta be a point when the Jazz are saturated at guard, so probably not. If they weren't so deep I'd say it's a no-brainer to go for it.

But as it stands, having a wing instead - even if they are more hypothetical than real NBA players - might make more sense.

You can still jump forward. I think it’s side to side and stopping unnaturally. I think guys like Jae will still get calls when they come forward on their shots.

I’d sign him to a two year minimum deal. I think he is a way better prospect than Matty Ice ever was.

There are a bunch of guys out there that are interesting but I think if Oni made it past last night he sticks around at least for a while.
You may be right but I saw something specific about jumping forward into a player as now being an offensive foul. Can't remember where I saw it.

Kris Dunn can guard wings fwiw
The issue is kind of like needing to haul a dishwasher across the country and you can use a 1992 Ford F150 or a 2017 Honda Odyssey. You may pick the Ford because “it’s a truck” and “trucks are better to haul stuff like that,” but you also may not make it across the country. The idea is we pass on a “guard” like Dunn in favor of a hypothetical wing defender who either doesn’t exist or isn’t a defender.

I’ve got more thoughts I’ll post later.

You may be right but I saw something specific about jumping forward into a player as now being an offensive foul. Can't remember where I saw it.
There was a whole thread on this.

It’s time.

Everyone had been concerned about not giving those minutes to Butler, but they’re currently going to Forrest. Quin’s shown he’s comfortable with a 10 mpg role for the backup PG. We can see what an upgrade from Paschall to Gay is (no slight to Paschall). Now if you’ve got a guy who would be absolutely elite in that role playing those minutes, and he can be on the shelf for any situation or matchup you may run in to. Gary Trent Jr. and FVV combined for 55 tonight on 19/35.

Quin likes Trent. But imagine you have Trent a bunch of meth and steroids. That’s Dunn. If you’ve got doubts, watch the video from the OP. If this role is going to be a thing, it’s time to plug it with the guy who will do it in elite fashion.

And everyone saw the value that Paschall brought by being a dog and hustle plays. Well, he won’t see the floor as much. If Rudy will soak up that time, Dunn can be that dog. Seriously, go watch even a minute of the video in the OP.

It’s time.

Everyone had been concerned about not giving those minutes to Butler, but they’re currently going to Forrest. Quin’s shown he’s comfortable with a 10 mpg role for the backup PG. We can see what an upgrade from Paschall to Gay is (no slight to Paschall). Now if you’ve got a guy who would be absolutely elite in that role playing those minutes, and he can be on the shelf for any situation or matchup you may run in to. Gary Trent Jr. and FVV combined for 55 tonight on 19/35.

Quin likes Trent. But imagine you have Trent a bunch of meth and steroids. That’s Dunn. If you’ve got doubts, watch the video from the OP. If this role is going to be a thing, it’s time to plug it with the guy who will do in elite fashion.
I agree… if healthy. Dunn was a terror last time he was on the court. Now guys are allowed to get extra hands… imagine what a physical defender can do.

I agree… if healthy. Dunn was a terror last time he was on the court. Now guys are allowed to get extra hands… imagine what a physical defender can do.
I’m starting the change.org petition tomorrow. Qualtrics will be monitoring. I wouldn’t be shocked if this got dozens of signatures. Dozens.

At very least bring Dunn in and let Forrest see what a real defensive menace can do… give him something to aspire to.

We complain about Dunn not fitting in because he can’t shoot. He’s a career 30.5% three point shooter. I don’t want him shooting threes, but Forrest is a career 18.5% from deep. 24.8% from the college three.

For his career, he averages a block or a steal every 12 minutes. Draft that contract, JZ.

And y’all know what this would cost? Waiving Oni. Want to save a few more bucks? Trade Hughes or Udoka and sign a guy who hasn’t played yet and would be lower on pay scale. Or give Fitts a contract.

The kicker? Forrest won’t be eligible for the playoffs on a 2-way.

Never good to speculate on a players health, but based on the reports about his injury, I think Dunn is done (sorry). Poor guys had several related injuries in his kinetic chain and was on self described “bed rest” because he was hurt during covid and couldn’t even rehab his multitude of injuries.

I’m obviously not against trying to get a defender, but I would not place my bet on Dunn. If you don’t like Forrest/Oni (understandable) I’d go for a random G-Leaguer in the hopes of finding the next Caruso/Payton instead. Injury prone vet coming off of multiple major, serious injuries is not at the top of my list.

I also think we should keep the 3 minute role for a development spot because that role is not actually going to help us in the playoffs. If we are serious about improving the defense, we should look for a defensive upgrade on a 30 minute player not a 3 minute player.