What's new

LAL and LAC will not be finishing 2 - 3 in the West

NAOS

Does this lessen your desire for the #1 seed?

This ties into discussions about
(a) load management
(b) lineup experimentation (getting Oni and Morgan some experience and/or acquiring a player via trade or buyout market and emphasizing his integration).

etc

I think everyone’s perfect world was us #1 and both LA teams 2-3 so they play each other and we only play the winner in the WCF. Without that scenario it’s up in the air now.

I still think the one seed and home court will help us. Phoenix isn't going to be an easy out and with injuries anything can happen in the playoffs. With that said, I'd like to see some alternatives to big minutes for ingles. We need him fresh for the run. Finding an alternative to Bogey when he's struggling would also be nice. I'd really like to see what ersan could add.

I think everyone’s perfect world was us #1 and both LA teams 2-3 so they play each other and we only play the winner in the WCF. Without that scenario it’s up in the air now.

Another scenario that's becoming quite possible is LAL/LAC ending up as the #4 and #5 seeds and meeting in the 1st round. All it takes is for Denver to play well, while the LA teams continue to be nonchalant. So it would be 1. Utah, 2. Phoenix, 3. Denver, 4. LAL, 5. LAC.

If Anthony Davis returns healthy for the Lakers, then the Lakers should end up as the #2 or #3 seed. If AD doesn't return healthy, however, the Lakers are likely to drop to #4 or #5. I also start to wonder if the Lakers are really a team to worry about.

The Clippers are an enigma to me. On the one hand, they have the potential to be the best team in the West. On the other hand, they're 3-6 in their last 9 games. I don't really believe they want to end up in a first-round matchup with the Nuggets or Lakers, but that's where they're headed right now.

After what we saw happen last year when we tried to game the system, I say just position yourself in the best seed possible and let the cards fall where they will. Quin is the guy who still has the starters in the game with a minute left in the fourth and we're up 18, so load management would be a very theoretical concept.

I think it's a lot like the draft, you take the best case scenario available regardless of fit. So you push for #1 and let the chips fall where they may.

You play for the #1 seed. There isn't going to be a bubble. Home court is pretty huge.

I'm not convinced that Dallas or Portland doesn't pass the Clippers or Lakers. Dallas's schedule from here on out is pretty favorable. The Lakers have a grand total of 4 home games in April with 2 of those being against the Jazz. That will be tough, Davis or no. . .

I'm pretty simple in that I think you play to win. If the Jazz are capable of getting the #1 seed then I think they should do everything they can to get the #1 seed.

Now, if there are 3 games left in the season and the Jazz have their fate in their own hands and at that point it is clear that this matchup or that is preferable, then yeah, "rest" Gobert and Mitchell or whatever, so that you get the clearly better matchup. But It has to be really obvious that it's a better matchup, like you pick a team that has key players out for the entire series or something like that.

But you don't start gaming the standings this far out. You just win.

There's also a lot to be said for the credibility that comes with #1 seed. The Jazz are going to need all the help they can get to get the right calls in the playoffs. If the Jazz are the runaway #1 seed I think that'll go a long way towards the league seeing them as a legitimate contender.

That brings up one more point. If you're a big market team and have won championships recently then you have less to lose by gaming the standings. A small market team who has never won a championship has a lot more to lose, in this season and in seasons to come, if we try to game the standings and end up ****ing ourselves by bungling it.

Great thread. I would load manage and work on combinations, chemistry and anything else perfecting the craft.

I think load manage for pretty much all the starters would be big from here. It may not hurt for some end of the bench guys to keep the rust off as well.

I don't expect the Jazz to do either of these to the extent I would, the 1 seed is probably not my highest priority tbh.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using JazzFanz mobile app

Phoenix is pretty damn good too... there are no easy matchups.. honestly maybe AD can't quite get right and you want the Lakers in round 2. I think the opponent at #8 will be a big improvement over whoever ends up top 6/7. I'd rather play San Antonio, Dallas, GS, or Memphis than Portland/Denver or one of the LA teams in the first round.

I think this is still very much in play. 538 has all three teams at 47 wins. I think end of season shenanigans will be at play.

Whatever happens, I just hope it’s not the Clippers at 4. I’d feel much better about going up against the Lakers.

I think this is still very much in play. 538 has all three teams at 47 wins. I think end of season shenanigans will be at play.

Whatever happens, I just hope it’s not the Clippers at 4. I’d feel much better about going up against the Lakers.
Depends on who is 5. Clippers might not make it past that matchup.

Depends on who is 5. Clippers might not make it past that matchup.

The Clippers are still my title favorites, but they are definitely looking shaky right now. It will be interesting to see who comes in at 5. Whoever takes that 5 spot between DEN, POR, and DAL is probably going to be seen in a similar regard to PHX and UTA. All three of those teams could be tough outs when healthy.

Clippers are currently a half a game out of the 6th seed. They are closer to the 9th seed than to the Jazz. I don't see how they get to rest PG and Leonard like they want to and still be able to "turn it on!" I bet they try something stupid at the trade deadline. . .

After what we saw happen last year when we tried to game the system, I say just position yourself in the best seed possible and let the cards fall where they will. Quin is the guy who still has the starters in the game with a minute left in the fourth and we're up 18, so load management would be a very theoretical concept.
This.
Win as many games as you can. Get the #1 seed. **** everything else

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Lakers lose today as LeBron goes out with an ankle injury. They play Phoenix tomorrow.

I still think the one seed and home court will help us. Phoenix isn't going to be an easy out and with injuries anything can happen in the playoffs. With that said, I'd like to see some alternatives to big minutes for ingles. We need him fresh for the run. Finding an alternative to Bogey when he's struggling would also be nice. I'd really like to see what ersan could add.

Sounds like we need Glenn Robinson III to suit up for some spot minutes.

Clippers are currently a half a game out of the 6th seed. They are closer to the 9th seed than to the Jazz. I don't see how they get to rest PG and Leonard like they want to and still be able to "turn it on!" I bet they try something stupid at the trade deadline. . .
Read something about them being interested in Lonzo Ball.

Read something about them being interested in Lonzo Ball.
That would be the kind of move I am talking about. They have no draft picks so they would need to trade players that a young team would be interested in. Do they have any actual assets that are under 30 years old? Zubac? The Pelicans have no need of a Zubac. . .

Watch them panic buy Jeff Teague. . .