What's new

Las Vegas Summer League thread

I'd add being disruptive as an important defensive trait. I only say we need a guy that can cover 2/3s because Royce does better against bigger wings and Gay should do well too. We got torched by small/quick guards more than I'd like. I'd prefer to get a Smart/Melton/Beverly type more than a RoCo/Tucker/ with our current personnel imo. All are helpful of course.

Smart is probably a bad guy to use because he's incredibly versatile defensively. Legit can handle 1-4 for the most part and does all the rotation, deflection, stuff you'd want with the ability to stick to his defender.

Agreed on the first part. I just think that as long as we have Conley/Mitchell/Bogey on the court, it's a buffet of bad defenders for quick guards to feast on. There's an outside chance that Bogey doesn't close games, but Conley and Mitchell are going to be there and it's going to be a problem you have to solve with good team defense IMO.

I also think it's pretty much impossible to stick on someone these days. Nobody in the league is really capable of doing that, so it really comes down to how well you help/recover. That being said, some resistance is always better than zero resistance. One thing I thought the Bucks were really great at is their ability to stunt and recover with Lopez and Giannis. But that was only possible because their guards were good enough to give the big a chance.

Our guards/wings were just getting toasted defensively and giving up straight line drives. There is no player, not even Giannis or Draymond, who could stop the situation Gobert was presented with.

I agree.. you don't sub in Gay for Gobert to get better defensively. You do it as a way to be great on offense in the minutes Gobert is off the court and if it is roughly equivalent to what you would be defensively without Gobert then its a big win. Does having Gay out there instead of Favs hurt you defensively? How much better are you offensively?

Hopefully Gay helps Rudy too... if he has to rotate hard then hopefully Gay can help on the glass or provide secondary rim protection. I think if you add that to a healthy Mike and Donovan the defense survives a team like the clippers last year. Now, Brooklyn this year? Healthy Denver? Phoenix? Lakers? Not sure.. I think we actually matchup well with the Lakers and better with Phoenix... I think it comes down to injury luck out West. If Brooklyn is healthy everyone loses no matter if we added Smart and RoCo.

I definitely think Gay at the 5 is fine once Gobert is out of the game. Favors was toast everywhere defensively. He could barely move and even at the rim it was a layup line. We'll see on Whiteside. He is obviously not great away from the rim defensively, but he is a deterrent if he's in position. But if I'm being honest, the defense will be **** either way just because everyone else on the court is so bad.

Offensively, I'm not sure how Gay at the 5 is going to work. Quite honestly, I don't know how the offense is going to work with all of these high usage players. A lot of guys are going to have to take a huge usage cut. Gay and Whiteside are replacing guys who had substantially lower usage than them. When you talk about Gay at the 5, the next guy in line for minutes is probably Paschall (idc who you want to call the 5) and he's also a guy with plus usage.

If the defense is switching, it's probably better to have Gay/Paschall as guys who can theoretically take on smaller players. But you're probably going to want Conley, Mitchell, Clarkson ect to take on their matchups anyways.

I’d love to see Garnett in today’s NBA. I feel like he had a good 18-20 footer. Feel like he would become what we thought Thon Maker could be. All the elite defense still but a three point shot too and low post game as well.
Garnett would be awesome in any days NBA. Love that dude

Actually looking at salaries JC for Dillon Brooks works but I do not think Memphis would do it. I wonder what else we would have to include?

NEVER MIND

JC for Josh Richardson works. I think JC has more value and Boston could use JCs scoring off the bench. Although I think if I was Boston Doke would be my target.

They have a few players I like

G Williams
Pritchard
Langford
Nesmith
Madar
Edwards

Jazz could add

Hughes
Oni

To make salaries work

Sent from my SM-N960U using JazzFanz mobile app

Folks, do this.

I love Summer League and each year I jot down the names of a few players that really stand out and the ones that I see will be future stars in the NBA. After doing that for a few years, I look back at my picks and am pretty much spot on.

No rules except you don't jot down the names of a Zion or Ja. That's too easy. Obviously those guys are on their way to superstardom; so you find some late draft pick or just a D-League guy or a foreign player and if they impress, if you see big things in their future, write them down.

So far this year I have three names:

- Jericho Simms - Knicks
- Chris Duarte - Pacers
- Scottie Barnes - Toronto

Come back to this thread in a few years and you'll see I know basketball.
Now write down a few names from Summer League '21 that you think are going to be surprising stars.

Folks, do this.

I love Summer League and each year I jot down the names of a few players that really stand out and the ones that I see will be future stars in the NBA. After doing that for a few years, I look back at my picks and am pretty much spot on.

No rules except you don't jot down the names of a Zion or Ja. That's too easy. Obviously those guys are on their way to superstardom; so you find some late draft pick or just a D-League guy or a foreign player and if they impress, if you see big things in their future, write them down.

- Jericho Simms - Knicks
- Chris Duarte - Pacers

Now write down a few names from Summer League '21 that you think are going to be surprising stars.
Wait... you listed two lotto picks... one in the top 4 and said you can't pick guys that are too easy...

Last edited:
Folks, do this.

- Jericho Simms - Knicks
- Chris Duarte - Pacers

We still waiting for your guarantee on JWF being an NBA baller.

Folks, do this.

- Jericho Simms - Knicks
- Chris Duarte - Pacers

Trey Murphy will be really good. Too bad the Knicks couldn't draft him.
Chris Duarte will be a solid starter within a year.
Davion Mitchell will be a solid 3rd guard within his first year.
Josh Primo might actually turn out to be good. It'll take 2 years to really find out how good.
Brandon Boston will be a rotational player within 2 years.
Jalen Johnson might be really good, but it depends on how he's used. He has some limitations off the ball.

Wait... you listed to lotto picks... one in the top 4 and said you can't pick guys that are too easy...

Come on, man, this year's draft was unlike most others. No guy in the top ten at all is a guaranteed All Star/ Hall Of Famer. You really think there's a D Rose, a LeBron, an Anthony Davis, a Kyrie anywhere in the first round? Scottie Barnes may have been a 4th pick, but that's fourth in a draft made up of question marks.

Folks, quit the bickering. Just list four or five guys that impressed so far, and tell what team they are on. It's a public service we are doing here. I'll see a name or two I don't know and I'll be sure to check the kid out.

It's cool to be ahead of the curve. I am always ahead of everybody. I was into The Beatles back in 1959 -- before they were even formed! My basketball picks are just as awesome.

Come on, man, this year's draft was unlike most others. No guy in the top ten at all is a guaranteed All Star/ Hall Of Famer. You really think there's a D Rose, a LeBron, an Anthony Davis, a Kyrie anywhere in the first round? Scottie Barnes may have been a 4th pick, but that's fourth in a draft made up of question marks.
I mean that's the case most years. Stating you like two guys in the lotto and then saying "look how good they are" a couple years later is not incredible foresight. Now if that Knicks scrubs does anything in the NBA we can talk.

Guys I think that outperform their draft position...

-Jared Butler
-Usman Garuba
- Moses Moody

Stating you like two guys in the lotto and then saying "look how good they are" a couple years later is not incredible foresight.

Andrea Bargnani, Anthony Bennet, Fultz....those guys were drafted first. FIRST! You can't go by when a guy was drafted. It always takes incredible foresight to watch a Summer League and pick out who will be elite stars be they #1 picks, lotto picks or overseas guys.

Andrea Bargnani, Anthony Bennet, Fultz....those guys were drafted first. FIRST! You can't go by when a guy was drafted. It always takes incredible foresight to watch a Summer League and pick out who will be elite stars be they #1 picks, lotto picks or overseas guys.
Then why can't I pick Zion or Ja?

This is what I believe Quin is looking at / hoping for, and honestly it's the same for me too. I don't think it's conclusive that small ball kills us. I think the way we've approached it has killed us. I think we're more equipped to handle it, but the bigger issue is being able to toggle between "filter everything to Rudy" and "you guys need to guard the perimeter" and let Rudy move to the perimeter. I've got some specific examples and games in mind where this can work that I'll detail, but I really question Quin's ability to do this, because that part of it ultimately doesn't fall on any personnel changes. It requires him to run a couple different defensive strategies.
I’m with you, broseph. I like @Handlogten's Heros optimism on all of this, but I’m committed to the wait-and-see approach.

As far as the players go, I’m hoping someone can step up, play efficient offense with Rudy, and also be an effective defender at the rim. If Gay is that piece, we’ll be super ****ing happy. If Brantley grew that direction, that’d be incredible. I’ll be curious to see what Paschall can do. Q needs to ****ing experiment, or my head will explode.

Last edited:
I’m with you, broseph. I like @Handlogten's Heros optimism on all of this, but I’m committed to the wait-and-see approach.

As far as the players go, I’m hoping someone can step up, play effectively with Rudy, and also be an effective defender at the rim. If Gay is that piece, we’ll be super ****ing happy. If Brantley grew that direction, that’d be incredible. I’ll be curious to see what Paschall can do. Q needs to ****ing experiment, or my head will explode.
This will sound crazy but I’m up for experimenting with a super lineup (dead serious) during parts of the season where you take the Favors/Gobert lineup but insert Whiteside. The last time we ran Favors/Gobert it was paired with Ricky. Run three shooters. Even just running this during the season and having it be successful is enough psychological intimidation when others think about meeting us in the post season and feeling like they need to be ready with adjustments, even if running it during the season just becomes a complete decoy for the playoffs.

This will sound crazy but I’m up for experimenting with a super lineup (dead serious) during parts of the season where you take the Favors/Gobert lineup but insert Whiteside. The last time we ran Favors/Gobert it was paired with Ricky. Run three shooters. Even just running this during the season and having it be successful is enough psychological intimidation when others think about meeting us in the post season and feeling like they need to be ready with adjustments, even if running it during the season just becomes a complete decoy for the playoffs.
Basically this is almost like a Kirilenko/Gobert lineup. I felt like AK hurt us because he was getting burned by his guy while he was out hunting blocks. But you out Rudy in the middle and now the issues with AK for the other team are really hard to handle.

Basically this is almost like a Kirilenko/Gobert lineup. I felt like AK hurt us because he was getting burned by his guy while he was out hunting blocks. But you out Rudy in the middle and now the issues with AK for the other team are really hard to handle.
However we get there, i think it’s important for Rudy to get reps playing something like a Giannis-like rover on defense. I’ve been calling for this since last season’s bubble playoff versus the Nuggs. In that matchup, I thought we had some success using Morgan on Jokic and letting Rudy play rover. But Q abandoned that mid-series (with the return of Conley), and NEVER looked back.

If we could feel comfortable with a two-headed defensive monster, that would be awesome if for no other reason than it’s DIFFERENT from the one-headed monster.

Need to have different **** in your bag. This is ****ing obvious. I hope our lack of evolution on this issue can be explained by the riff between Q and DL—but I feel burned, so I’m waiting for my eyeballs to see change.