What's new

Lauri Markkanen Hype & Appreciation Thread

Warriors are in 10th place (half a game ahead of minnesota for 11th) and steph just got hurt.

So Lauri has better stats and on the better team. He should get in over wiggins as it stands currently if stats and team wins are part of the equation.

Warriors are in 10th place (half a game ahead of minnesota for 11th) and steph just got hurt.

So Lauri has better stats and on the better team. He should get in over wiggins as it stands currently if stats and team wins are part of the equation.
Bro they do not decide All-Stars on December 15th and the Warriors are very much still in the playoff race and Steph will be back.

Lauri's only going to get in if the Jazz are a top 6 seed.

NBA is too deep. If you are out of the playoffs you are missing the ASG unless you have insane stats. Lauri does not have insane stats.
But if the West remains at a virtual tie from 5-6 down to 10-11, actual seed might not matter as much.

Bro they do not decide All-Stars on December 15th and the Warriors are very much still in the playoff race and Steph will be back.
I agree. But the jazz are currently better than the warriors and Lauri has been better than wiggins and I feel like we are having this discussion of who should get in today, december 15th, so what is taking place on december 15th seems most relevant to me. You might have missed the part of my post that said "as it stands currently" No biggie.

I agree. But the jazz are currently better than the warriors and Lauri has been better than wiggins and I feel like we are having this discussion of who should get in today, december 15th, so what is taking place on december 15th seems most relevant to me. You might have missed the part of my post that said "as it stands currently" No biggie.
lol, any coach that votes to put in Wiggins over Lauri should be fined tbh.

Especially with the ASG being in Utah.

The 10 best 3 point shooters in the league, min 150 attempts. Such a cheat code that the #1 guy is a 7 footer. Also only Steph, Donovan and Bojan are even within 5% of him in total FG%.

1671614864293.png

Lauri visited Finnish sports-cast and told he has learned now to be a ot more selfish:

Seppänen: "What changed the most after Chicago and Cleveland. Now there they want and demand the ball, they want to show their teammates that the ball belongs in these hands. Is it just the head coach's job when the athlete hasn't necessarily changed terribly?"

Markkanen: "Yes, it's really a matter of attitude. As a person, I don't think I'll become selfish, but maybe as a player I got more selfish when I felt like I did everything the coaches asked last season. I realized that I wasn't the first option in the attack even though I got to throw. I felt that I did everything that was asked and the team needed, yet the trade happened. That's when it somehow clicked. Now you just have to play more selfishly and take all the advantage out of this situation, when even the coach says and hugs you to play more freely. You clicked between the ears that no matter what does things right and is kind and like this, the trigger can be pulled and then we're in a different city. That was a big factor for me."

Without a doubt Lauri is on the greatest outside shooting heater of his career. He won't be able to sustain it until the end of the season (that's impossible for pretty much anyone), but by God... the dude is absolutely on fire right now. He really should be taking ten 3pt shots per game. When you're making those shots at a 50% clip and don't need to dominate possessions, it's such an efficient way to put points on the board. Everyone else's margin for error increases and the whole team can play more loose.

I haven't seen it discussed much that Markkanen has one pretty rare weapon for a 7ft shooter/scorer - he moves around a LOT. Detroit players admitted in postgame interviews that they couldn't "find" him, leading to all those open shots. Most bigs aren't willing or able to constantly relocate: when you're that size, it tires you out.