What's new

Lauri Markkanen Hype & Appreciation Thread

Then why did you attempt to make it an argument?

Rudy 3x DPOY is an all-time accomplishment (I think only 1 or 2 others have done it. I can list over 50 players who've gotten a 1st team All-NBA award) and you're here being a freaking douchebag (once again) about it. Go figure.

Funny thing is probably all those 50 are better players than Gobert lmao.

This is a stupid thing to argue about.
Thank you for your opinion. I will be certain not to engage you in any conversation that requires thinking in the future. Sorry to bother. I admit I am much dumber than you. Puts all your railing against Cy in a different light, that is for sure.

Thank you for your opinion. I will be certain not to engage you in any conversation that requires thinking in the future. Sorry to bother. I admit I am much dumber than you. Puts all your railing against Cy in a different light, that is for sure.

Im sorry you feel that way. I just re-read my posts and I can definitely work on my approach. I’m sorry for coming off as such a dick. Not my intention at all.

My biggest problem is being very passionate and there are things that I may think are obvious but others may not think that way. I will work on that for sure as well.

I value DPOY as high as being all nba in the 2nd or 3rd team. sometimes there are bad defenders in all nba's... In those 2nd or 3rd teams at least.

But to get the topic back on track: what it would take from Lauri to make all nba? More off the dribble scoring he has shown flashes? Or would it be enough if he got 5+ more shots without the TS% not diving too much from current numbers? That would increase his averages quite a lot. But I feel to be all-nba there has to be a slight increase in self creation too.

And all Log said is that Rudy's accolade/accomplishment was greater. He said nothing about if the players who got other awards are better/worse. When only 1 player gets that award all year and only 3 players have won that award 3 times, that's a highly impressive accomplishment.

Elizah Huge just has a giant boner for discrediting Gobert any opportunity he gets. Truly pathetic.

I value DPOY as high as being all nba in the 2nd or 3rd team. sometimes there are bad defenders in all nba's... In those 2nd or 3rd teams at least.

But to get the topic back on track: what it would take from Lauri to make all nba? More off the dribble scoring he has shown flashes? Or would it be enough if he got 5+ more shots without the TS% not diving too much from current numbers? That would increase his averages quite a lot. But I feel to be all-nba there has to be a slight increase in self creation too.
I think it would take 2 things, consistency and winning. Seldom do you see players, even ones putting up gaudy stats, win these accolades being on losing teams, or even on teams on the fringe. It usually is a product of consistent personal production translating into team success. I said USUALLY, obviously not always. And usually it is players that were snubbed for at least a year or 2 before they break through. So Lauri needs at least one full season of high-level play in which he elevates the Jazz beyond what was expected, and then picks right up where he left off the next year. Keep in mind, for an All-NBA team it takes beating out 6 other players at the same position (F) to get on one of the teams, so on top of this he needs to be viewed as a top 5 player at his position in the league. Is Lauri even close to a top 5 forward right now? Probably not. Top 10 maybe, top 15 easily. So for this year I would say his odds are basically nill. For next year, if we continue to win and he adds maybe a new wrinkle to his game and keeps up his high-level performance then maybe. I would wager that until we really get deep into the rebuild and start truly contending he won't get anything more than a mention.

Haliburton is an insane talent and already elite at 22 years old. There is no way you ever trade away a guy like him unless he forces your hand. Not in a rebuild, not in a firesale.

Gonna make ASG for sure.
in Cy's defense sabonis has been nuts this year. 18 and 12 on, wait for it... 68% TS. i'd take either one of those dudes.

in Cy's defense sabonis has been nuts this year. 18 and 12 on, wait for it... 68% TS. i'd take either one of those dudes.
Yeah I know. He is elite. My point was that you just dont trade away a guy like Tyrese. You build around him.

Worst case is Kings gonna be stuck in purgatory of never being actually competitive while Tyrese becomes the top 5 guy people see he could become.

I guess getting to the playoffs is the main prize with their track record...

Yeah I know. He is elite. My point was that you just dont trade away a guy like Tyrese. You build around him.

Worst case is Kings gonna be stuck in purgatory of never being actually competitive while Tyrese becomes the top 5 guy people see he could become.

If I were a Sacramento fan, a concern I would have is that Sabonis becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2024. Haliburton, on the other hand, only becomes restricted around the same time.

Seems like lauris competition for ASG reserves are

Sabonis
Gobert
PG
Jerami Grant
Wiggins

He need to be in top 3.
PG13 is hard to beat, I think, and Sabonis has to be in, but unless Warriors turn things around dramatically, I think he should beat Grant and Wiggins.

Kings are better this year because of the trade. He is playing really well for the Kings and he balanced out the roster more. But its a bad trade in the long term. Haliburton is having just as good of a season and has long term star potential. They were better off being in the lottery again and moving pieces to build around him. They finally got a good player in the lottery and traded him away for a bandaid. I think Sabonis will come back to earth a little bit as well. Even if not they dont seem to be a contender to me, but I could be wrong, this year is kind of up for grabs in the West.

Kings are better this year because of the trade. He is playing really well for the Kings and he balanced out the roster more. But its a bad trade in the long term. Haliburton is having just as good of a season and has long term star potential. They were better off being in the lottery again and moving pieces to build around him. They finally got a good player in the lottery and traded him away for a bandaid. I think Sabonis will come back to earth a little bit as well. Even if not they dont seem to be a contender to me, but I could be wrong, this year is kind of up for grabs in the West.
Not discounting Fox and Sabonis awesome play this year, but pretty much my thoughts exactly.

I think they accelerated their window by 2 or 3 years doing that trade almost entering a win now mode... but I'm not sure they are good enough in the playoffs to get through any of the top 4 teams.

Not discounting Fox and Sabonis awesome play this year, but pretty much my thoughts exactly.

I think they accelerated their window by 2 or 3 years doing that trade almost entering a win now mode... but I'm not sure they are good enough in the playoffs to get through any of the top 4 teams.
When you've missed the last 20 playoffs you aren't overly concerned about getting through the top 4. Baby steps.

From

Predicting 2023 NBA All-Star Starters and Reserves​

West snubs

Lauri Markkanen, Utah Jazz

This one hurts the most. Markkanen has busted out with a career season, and he's the main reason why the Utah Jazz have defied the expectation that they'd be among the NBA's most egregious tankers.
Markkanen is averaging a career-high 22.8 points along with 8.2 rebounds while canning a career-best 43.8 percent of his threes. We already laid out how Paul George's role is more demanding than Markkanen's, and the latter's status as a dependent scorer is clear considering 90.1 percent of his threes and 60.4 percent of his twos have been assisted

tough one for lauri here

Seems like lauris competition for ASG reserves are

Sabonis
Gobert
PG
Jerami Grant
Wiggins

He need to be in top 3.

Honestly, right now, Lauri should be in easily above Paul George, Gobert, and Wiggins. I think after the schedule the Jazz have remaining until the break he will look better than all of these players.

From

Predicting 2023 NBA All-Star Starters and Reserves​

West snubs

Lauri Markkanen, Utah Jazz

This one hurts the most. Markkanen has busted out with a career season, and he's the main reason why the Utah Jazz have defied the expectation that they'd be among the NBA's most egregious tankers.
Markkanen is averaging a career-high 22.8 points along with 8.2 rebounds while canning a career-best 43.8 percent of his threes. We already laid out how Paul George's role is more demanding than Markkanen's, and the latter's status as a dependent scorer is clear considering 90.1 percent of his threes and 60.4 percent of his twos have been assisted

tough one for lauri here
That bolded part is such a dumb knock. NBA analysts and fans praising guys who dribble on the perimeter long enough to negate assists is just inherently stupid. "Oh, but they create their own buckets". Well, they also take away any edge in field balance the offense may have had due to ball movement and allow defenses to get set.

Dirk Nowitzki who Lauri has always been compared to as his maximum upside and who Lauri has studied a lot... had 57.0% of his 2s and 94.7% of his 3s assisted for his career. In their championship year in 2010-11 he had 59.0% and 97.0% assisted. And the reason is exactly the same. Neither player dribbles the ball much once they get it. They are very decisive with the ball.

Also tracking stats dont exists from 2010-11, but its easy to see from 2013-14 that Dirk has very similar average touch duration numbers (1.83 vs Lauri 2.19). Dirk actually dribbled even less than Lauri does.