What's new

Lauri Markkanen Hype & Appreciation Thread

Lauri is either on a tear or he is figuring out how to output AS numbers.

Since his sick leave (last 8 games)
26.5 PPG at 16.1 FGA and 47.1 touches
Even his worst point total in that stretch (18 against the Bucks) was effective (7/12 from the field and 3/5 from 3).

Last 4 games (granted, not the toughest stretch):
30.0 PPG at 18.5 FGA and 50.3 touches

Btw his points per touch number is also #1 in the league at 0.481 (min 5 PPG). He is also #1 in points per elbow touches (min 5 PPG and 1 elbow touch per game) and his touch duration and effectiveness numbers are very similar to one Joel Embiid. Also better numbers in elbow, post and paint touches... but first two are with a significantly lower volume so hard to read into that.
View attachment 13597

Im starting to think his upside is at least high end #2. His spacing is elite, his movement off the ball is elite and he not only can but is likely to go off if you dont glue a good defender on him. He has also improved his defense this year.
All that and then in the last quarter and a half our team is only able to give him the ball like 5 times. No wonder we lost that game. The coach needs to do a way better job of getting our super-star involved when it matters. Puts up damn near 30 in the first half, then never sees the ball again while Clarkson et al chuck their way to the L. **** me.

All that and then in the last quarter and a half our team is only able to give him the ball like 5 times. No wonder we lost that game. The coach needs to do a way better job of getting our super-star involved when it matters. Puts up damn near 30 in the first half, then never sees the ball again while Clarkson et al chuck their way to the L. **** me.

This, infuriating at times.

Lauri is either on a tear or he is figuring out how to output AS numbers.

Since his sick leave (last 8 games)
26.5 PPG at 16.1 FGA and 47.1 touches
Even his worst point total in that stretch (18 against the Bucks) was effective (7/12 from the field and 3/5 from 3).

Last 4 games (granted, not the toughest stretch):
30.0 PPG at 18.5 FGA and 50.3 touches

Btw his points per touch number is also #1 in the league at 0.481 (min 5 PPG). He is also #1 in points per elbow touches (min 5 PPG and 1 elbow touch per game) and his touch duration and effectiveness numbers are very similar to one Joel Embiid. Also better numbers in elbow, post and paint touches... but first two are with a significantly lower volume so hard to read into that.
View attachment 13597

Im starting to think his upside is at least high end #2. His spacing is elite, his movement off the ball is elite and he not only can but is likely to go off if you dont glue a good defender on him. He has also improved his defense this year.

Being hot from downtown elevates numbers. No idea where is his actual 3pt ceiling for career but I think his floor for sure is higher than his career average of 37. I know jazz staff is one of the better ones in the NBA so no wonder he has been on his most consistent stretch of his career from downtown.
Becoming off- season is a big one. If he finds a good fit for skills training and gets some fakes and counter moves into his arsenal then his ceiling as a star is once again raised - getting more of those into arsenal will also increase his inside touches bc dealing with double teams becomes easier. I never thought he could be all-nba but the idea of it seems not far stretched at all. Things have to go real well but I see it being something he can reach at least once or twice in his career. And if not - racking all star numbers from field is not bad either. The little number of touches he needs to score this much makes it so easy to build around him. There is just that one ball and he does need it less than most stars racking his averages from field.

Good Q&A where Lauri also talks about a topic we have discussed.. him being a vocal leader.

Says he has always tried to lead by example but is also trying to develop his vocal leadership skills. Conley is helping him with that.. so yet another reason not to trade Mike.

Crazy thing about Lauri is that I was slightly worried he was just an OK shooter when he started the year of shooting meh. His shot just doesn't look great to me (seems flatter than ideal), but hes so damn tall he gets it off without being bothered and he is very accurate.

Crazy thing about Lauri is that I was slightly worried he was just an OK shooter when he started the year of shooting meh. His shot just doesn't look great to me (seems flatter than ideal), but hes so damn tall he gets it off without being bothered and he is very accurate.
Yeah, his current shot looks like there's almost no margin for error at all. And maybe there isn't.

Its weird. Few off-seasons ago he removed the dip from his jumper to make it faster. His shot had more rainbow in it when coming into league. U right it is kinda flat. But as he is having the hottest stretch ever from downtown now lasting over 20 games shooting half of them in... I am starting to wonder if it works. I did not see this coming and still do think he is closer to 39-40 shooter than 42 or more from downtown. Both are good though. Almost half of the season is done and he is 7% above his career average. It's wild.

Good Q&A where Lauri also talks about a topic we have discussed.. him being a vocal leader.

Says he has always tried to lead by example but is also trying to develop his vocal leadership skills. Conley is helping him with that.. so yet another reason not to trade Mike.

Your teammate Mike Conley said he’s encouraged you to be more vocal. How do you become comfortable doing that?

"I’m trying to get better. I’ve tried to lead by example. But I’ve been in the league for (six) years now. I’m trying to become comfortable with being a vocal leader as well. I’ve seen stuff throughout the years compared to being a rookie, while still leading by example."

Forget this lead by example sht. Lauri, repeat after me.

You point guard, pass me the ball. You center, get me my rebound !

Markkanen averaging 27/8 for an entire month (December) which ends up being around 1/7 of the season in total games (12) is ****ing amazing.

Its funny how I never expected myself as being content as rooting for Jazz but here I am a bit tipsy after a raclette-dinner with my family and ample amounts of red wine feeling a bit bummed by the Kings game but nevertheless happy and raising my glass for the Jazz and Lauri and their mutual prosperous 2023.

Happy New Year to y'all!

Lauri is definitely a part of the future, pretty much untouchable at this point. He hasn't even reached his potential yet.
Yeah right now it looks that Lauri is part of Jazz future but how long that will last.
Keep in mind that Lauri has 2 yrs left of his contract after this season.
Summer 2025 Lauri is UFA and free to choose his next team.

But i'm not sure of that will Lauri stay to Utah after season 2024-2025.
Jazz has just started their rebuild so basically Ainge and Zanik has 2 yrs time to get this team to playoffs.

If that won't happen i don't see Lauri staying and signing a extension with the Jazz.
The bottom line is not that Lauri needs to impress Ainge and Zanik the bottom line is that Ainge and Zanik needs to impress Lauri on that Jazz can be serious championship contender.

Yeah right now it looks that Lauri is part of Jazz future but how long that will last.
Keep in mind that Lauri has 2 yrs left of his contract after this season.
Summer 2025 Lauri is UFA and free to choose his next team.

But i'm not sure of that will Lauri stay to Utah after season 2024-2025.
Jazz has just started their rebuild so basically Ainge and Zanik has 2 yrs time to get this team to playoffs.

If that won't happen i don't see Lauri staying and signing a extension with the Jazz.
The bottom line is not that Lauri needs to impress Ainge and Zanik the bottom line is that Ainge and Zanik needs to impress Lauri on that Jazz can be serious championship contender.

With the current coach and all the assets I don't see a reason jazz would not make into post season soonish... I doubt it has to be a clear championship candidate for Lauri to resign. He works now under development staff and coach that makes him better. When current contract is up he still has at least 5 seasons of high level play in his tank so if he is wanted, he will be a long term Jazz man.
This is also far from average rebuild at this point. Utah git straight up all star level big forward and long time starter and rim protector in Kessler who does not look like a rookie. And among them other pieces to keep too.

Lauri, as most Finns, is not one that would opt out lightly. I think Jazz would pretty much need to be a disaster for Lauri to choose to go elsewhere. There is a pride in building up and growing into something great rather than simply signing onto a contender because of personal accolades. Obviously, there are factors that need to be in place on Jazz side and it does play a role in Lauri's decision-making but likely not as much as with the more ambitious mercs out there. Obviously the main factor being that Jazz want Lauri around and also that there is some kind of a foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Lauri, as most Finns, is not one that would opt out lightly. I think Jazz would pretty much need to be a disaster for Lauri to choose to go elsewhere. There is a pride in building up and growing into something great rather than simply signing onto a contender because of personal accolades. Obviously, there are factors that need to be in place on Jazz side and it does play a role in Lauri's decision-making but likely not as much as with the more ambitious mercs out there. Obviously the main factor being that Jazz want Lauri around and also that there is some kind of a foreseeable future.

The main thing is he has flourished here and is going to be an all-star for the first time here. I think that will hold a lot of weight with him. Plus we can give him the most money and more years when the time comes.

The main thing is he has flourished here and is going to be an all-star for the first time here. I think that will hold a lot of weight with him. Plus we can give him the most money and more years when the time comes.
Even more importantly, we are the ones who let him cook for the first time. As long as he meshes well with whoever we bring in and we continue to allow him to shine, he will 100% stay. Also enjoys the city and state.

Lauri said already a few years ago he has more money than what he will ever be able to spend, but that he understsands in NBA and the USA in general what you earn is how important people see you (from the finnish point of view, that sure as heck is a weird way to look at life; money of course is important, but it sure ain't the most important thing, if you ask me (me being an adopted finn, as I wasn't born here :) )). So while he certainly will look for as good a deal as possible, mostly he is looking for where he and his family feel good to be, and where he has a chance to achieve the goals he has set for his professional basketball career (to win the NBA, and to get to the All-Star team).

I would like to guess Utah Jazz atm is quite high on the list of places where Lauri wants to be in the future. If things start to go awry at some point that might change, but my feeling is he is quite happy to be a Jazzman now and for the foreseeable future.